BellaOnline
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Windows Vista Poll - 07/31/07 02:51 PM
Are you planning on making the switch to Windows Vista?

Posted By: rdywenur Re: Windows Vista Poll - 10/14/07 05:26 PM
It is not necessary to switch. If my PC works fine then why should I switch. And until it is no longer supported then do I need to make changes. First let them fix all the bugs and then decide.
Posted By: Dataman Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/27/08 08:18 PM
I held off until SP1 and made the Switch to Vista Home Prem 64 when I build new computer for myself. I have been quite happy. Very snappy system (E8400 at 3.6, 8g Ram).

Some old old games don't network (IPX).
Old DX2 Game won't run until I found patch

Everything works and I have it configured so it looks like Win98 Start Bar.

Lots more stable. Have not had one crash!

DM
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/29/08 05:32 PM
I am still not ready to take the plunge. I am a little behind on the times - still running Windows 2000 on my desktop. Been running so well for so long I just can't bring myself to change over to a newer OS.

I also support a lot of people that are still running Windows XP so it helps to stay on the same OS as them - which is my laptop.

If I buy a new desktop in the near future I would probably upgrade to Vista then.
Posted By: dmichelle Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/29/08 05:52 PM
Already switched. Be Careful. My Quicken doesn't print checks or reports anymore. Just discovered this today. It's not compatible with the 2007 version that was just bought so now will have to purchase Quicken 2008 if compatible.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/29/08 07:40 PM
Neither was I ! But I had to ! Vista came with my new laptop, so I thought 'I might as well get stuck in' and started to wean myself off the antiquated old desktop.

Now I'm so glad I took that attitude. I still haven't got to the end of all it can do though (it's wasted on me LOL!)
Posted By: joanj Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/29/08 11:54 PM
Me too! I had to get a new computer in January as my old one died. You can't get one without Vista.

It's proved to be incompatible with lots of things I had on my old one.

Don't like it!
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/30/08 12:29 AM
The software compatibility issue is big for me. Since I am a geek by trade I live on my computer and depend on a lot of different software to complete my work. I can't afford to be without any software because of Vista nor can I afford to upgrade all of the software.

Depending on where you purchase your computer many places still offer Windows XP as an OS because of all the issues with Vista.
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/30/08 12:36 AM
I didn't have an option. My husband (my house "techie") updated everything to the new software without consulting me. Now I constantly battle software compatibility issues for me. Even with all the patches, I have several necessary programs that either work poorly or won't work at all with Vista. Its enough to make you yank your hair out!
Posted By: Lady J Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/30/08 12:43 AM
I actually am using vista on both of my computers (laptop and pc). I actually like it. It took a lot getting used to but now that I use it on a daily basis I am not having problems. I had some compatibility issues with a few of my older programs but they all had patches so now things work correctly.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Windows Vista Poll - 07/04/08 09:53 PM
I have got to grips with my Vista now, and all is going smoothly so ..... that means I actually like it too. I have to say I usually don't need any other software though.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Windows Vista Poll - 07/28/08 02:00 AM
I adore Vista. I have it on both of my machines, my son has it, my dad has it. There are many great aspects to it. And with all the software I use - Quickbooks, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Elements, Word, Excel, FTP software etc. I haven't run into any issues.
Posted By: datmann Re: Windows Vista Poll - 09/22/08 08:28 PM
I am presently running Windows XP home edition. It works fine but I know some day I will have to move. I am contemplating going to one of the versions of Linux. Has anyone any advice or ideas concerning this plan?
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Windows Vista Poll - 09/22/08 09:51 PM
datmann, welcome to the forum!
Posted By: datmann Re: Windows Vista Poll - 09/24/08 08:41 PM
Hi Rosie: Thanks for the response. I noticed your location as Mass.; about as far from Calif. as you can get. As I mentioned in my original post I am running XP home edition and have been using it for about 4 years. So far everything is fine, however I have been concerned that one day I will have to move and don't want to have to make a snap decision when things go wrong. My computer is about five years old so I am considering getting a new one and trying one of the Linux versions on it for a couple of months to see if that is what I want. I am wondering if anyone in the forum has any advice concerning this plan of action.
Posted By: SaraB Re: Windows Vista Poll - 01/17/09 10:17 PM
I switched to Mac. I have Macbook pro and run XP in parallels for the few things I need windows for. It was a good move.
Posted By: Angie Re: Windows Vista Poll - 01/18/09 03:56 AM
When I purchased my new computer it came with VISTA. I feel comfortable using it and it has a few nice features. However, I think opening programs is slower than WP.
Posted By: Dataman Re: Windows Vista Poll - 04/17/09 09:11 PM
I switched last year (Feb 08). Both Wife and myself. Zero Major problems. Her machine I setup (I roll my own) with Dual Boot. Only one old game (No IPX in Vista 64) and Phone Software. I have found Vista great. I even made old game I love to Play from 1995 work (Master of Orion II). It's for Win95 and I had to get patch.

E8400, 1.5T HD, DVD, 8800GTS, 8g Ram, Vista Home Prem 64

Posted By: Profesor_Patricio Re: Windows Vista Poll - 02/23/10 11:43 PM
Hello, I am a new member who doesn't know how to add a photo to my profile. In ' edit profile, there is an add link to avitar or chose one of the existing avitars but no way to browse ones own computer and simply attach a photo. Am I missing something?
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Windows Vista Poll - 02/24/10 02:08 AM
Patrico, you're not missing anything--you have to host the photo online somewhere else first. Facebook, Flickr or other photo-sharing sites are good places to do that for free. Then, you usually right click on your photo on the site to get to "properties" and somewhere there will be a url for the photo. It'll start with http. Highlight & copy that entire url and then paste it into the link space on the profile page.
Posted By: Profesor_Patricio Re: Windows Vista Poll - 02/24/10 03:55 AM
Deb, Thanks that did the trick!
© BellaOnline Forums