BellaOnline
Posted By: EveVal Elongated Stitch? - 02/01/06 02:39 AM
Is the Elongated Stitch the same as the drop garter stitch and are they worked the same way.

I'm a bit confused.

please explain.

Thanks
Posted By: beckyeas Re: Elongated Stitch? - 02/01/06 04:35 AM
Do you have instructions for the Elongated Stitch? It's hard to tell just by the name, because different patterns (particularly ones from different countries) will use different terms.

Sorry, that wasn't much help!
Posted By: EveVal Re: Elongated Stitch? - 02/01/06 04:51 AM
Directions: For an Elongated Stitch Scarf.
Cut off and set aside 14 yards of yarn for fringe. CO 14 stitches. Knit 6 rows. *Work 1 row of elongated stitch. Knit 6 rows. Repeat from * until you've run out of yarn to do another set. Bind off. Cut fringe yarn into 18" pieces, and attach 14 strands (doubled up) to each end of scarf.

Elongated stitch (aka Drop Stitch): insert needle as if to knit. Wrap yarn 4 times around needle. Pull all wraps through stitch. On next round, knit just the front loop, letting wraps fall off

This is the instructions for a scarf:
The drop garter stitch instructions: k1, winding yarn twice around needle and the next row you knit to end dropping the extra loops.
Posted By: Eva Re: Elongated Stitch? - 02/01/06 03:46 PM
I myself have never done an "Elongated" stitch but from your directions they are NOT the same as the "drop" stitch.
Posted By: EvilTwinFelicia Re: Elongated Stitch? - 02/03/06 03:06 AM
They look like the same stitch, as I follow the directions given here.

The only difference is- do the wraps sit next to the knit stitches, or are they pulled through the knit stitch? Either way, once all the excess loops are evened out, they look the same.

I've seen some knit patterns with an elongated knit stitch worked in with regualar stitches. On those the "elongated stitch" is worked by wrapping two loops to pull through the stitch, then the rest of the stitches are worked as normal. When done all over a pattern, it makes for a great texture.

Pic of stitches
© BellaOnline Forums