BellaOnline
Posted By: Diane Understanding Instructions - 02/11/03 10:09 PM
Hi Everbody. I am new to the forum. Questions are: When it says "with two strands of color cast on...". How do you do this? and "Row 1 AA"
Does this mean I will always be using two strands of yarn to knit. i would appreciate any help from anybody since I am a rank beginner.
Thanks,
Hill
Posted By: jezebella Re: Understanding Instructions - 02/13/03 05:33 PM
Hi Hill,

You've got it right-you will be working with two strands held together, knitting with them as if they were a single strand. Make sure you cast on with the double strand, and try knitting a few rows before you begin the pattern.

It takes a little getting used to, but you should catch on quickly. It does require a bit more concentration, however, to ensure that you don't drop one of the strands.

Using two strands is alot of fun, by the way, and can be a fun way to create easy and interesting effects with your yarn. It can also be a great to substitute or use up yarns. A good rule of thumb for estimating what gauge two strands will work out to is to multiply the suggested guage of one strand by .72.

For example, a single strand of a sportweight yarn might be 24 sts/4 inches. If you were to use two strands of this yarn, your gauge would work out to roughly 24 x .72 or about 17 sts/4 inches. That means it would probably work with a pattern calling for aran weight (17-18 sts/4 inches) yarn. As always, be sure to do a gauge swatch just to be sure.

Best of luck with project, and we're glad to have you here!

Happy knitting,
Alison
© BellaOnline Forums