BellaOnline
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Clutter Busting Bookclub - 10/02/09 02:53 AM
One of the first things I noticed about clutter busting was how easy it is to hide behind my clutter.

I cleaned out underneath my bathroom sink - the cabinet where I store EVERYTHING. I found eight bottles of different types of hand lotion. What was funny was that two of them were super nice - and I was never using them because I didn't want to run out.

So, basically, my clutter was showing me a fundamental belief in lack. Why not just use the lotions? Don't I deserve them? So I got out all my lotions, and I'm going to use them up, one bottle at a time LOL!

It feels very freeing to just decide to use them everyday. Why couldn't I let myself do this before?

Again, if you are interested in joining in the bookclub, we are doing Clutter Busting by Brooks Palmer.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 10/11/09 02:32 PM
This week I decluttered my wedding pictures. I had them in a box all these years. Hundreds of pictures. I'd always felt I had to keep every single one of them because it was, after all, my wedding.

I threw out over half!!! And I FELT GOOD doing it. Pictures of peoples' elbows, blurred dancers, people eating... if I didn't know them (or remember them) and didn't LOVE the picture, I threw it out!!!

My aunt is currently making me a GORGEOUS scrap book, and I will put my lovely pictures into that.

Crazy! I never thought I could so easily declutter pictures LOL. It felt GREAT!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 10/11/09 05:52 PM
Deanna I understand about the toiletries. I also tend to haord my good stuff. It makes me feel 'safe' in a way, to know i have good things...but yes, using them would be much smarter!

I try to make myself use up my nice soaps, lotions and bathbombs...but i have to fight myself to do it. laugh

Good job on the wedding photos BTW!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 10/14/09 09:01 PM
Today I decluttered my shoes. I have so many shoes. But, I don't wear most of them. How many pairs of colored crocs does one person need LOL!! And if I liked a shoe, but it wasn't totally comfortable (even though it was cute) I let it go! Bye bye shoes...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 10/15/09 05:55 PM
Deanna, you are on a roll! Good for you on the shoes. That can be very hard for women.

As I live in my motorhome, I really try to keep the shoe level down. I have a lot of flip flops and hiking shoes, and one pair of crocs, but only three sandals, and that is really it for me.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 10/20/09 03:58 PM
Shoes is hard... but I have to say, for me, books was harder LOL. They are so precious, and I always look at them and think "when I read it, it will change my life." LOL!

Today I'm decluttering a kitchen cabinet that's filled with stuff. Candles... storage containers, decorations, things that I haven't seen in a long, long time HA HA.
Posted By: Mom Site Editor Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 11/14/09 03:27 PM
I haven't read the book you mention here, but I have read Don Asslett's books and I have cleared out TONS AND TONS AND TONS of clutter. Everything from books ( i have hundreds of them), magazines, toys, clothing, kitchen appliances and more. It feels so good to be clutter free, but you have to keep purging on a regular basis or the clutter just creeps right back.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Clutter Busting Bookclub - 12/04/09 12:30 AM
Oy I hear ya!!! I declutter the top of my dresser and a couple of weeks later it's cluttered with new clutter LOL!!! So I am learning that decluttering is definitely an ongoing process LOL!
© BellaOnline Forums