BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Where Do you Write? - 03/01/08 07:44 AM
Do you have a room of your own? A desk of your own?

I know I'm very lucky, I do have my own office with a nice desk in it now. I love writing in there. But I also do a fair amount of writing on my laptop, on the couch too smile
Posted By: M.B. Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/01/08 08:01 AM
My desk lives in a corner of the living room. As our TV is rarely on, and our home quiet overall, this is adequate. I also write at a corner table in a favorite coffee shop a few times a month, and often spend my break time at work outside on a bench, scribbling notes and ideas.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/01/08 08:39 AM
It's funny because before 2000 we didn't even have cable. The TV was literally never on. But when we got cable for the year 2000 roll-over it's like candy. Because it's there, it tends to be on. It actually helps me because I write a ton of reviews about movies because they're on in the background. I can be working on the site, re-watch a movie in the background and then write a review of it. But on the other hand when I'm working in the other room and the TV's just blaring nonsense stuff I find it distracting. I have noise canceling headphones and I do have to use them sometimes to block it out.
Posted By: Robin Crime Editor Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/01/08 08:39 AM
I have a room of my own, but I also write anywhere else I am. If a thought hits me, I pull out the notebook I carry and write it down. When I get home, I make sense of all my notes, and get the ideas where they belong.
Posted By: M o e Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 03:44 AM
My office is in the diningroom. Well, what would be the diningroom if we still had a diningroom... it's my office. We never used the diningroom and the table just collected stuff. So when a friend offered me an old metal desk that is where it went. I eventually just kept taking over more space. The table is now folded down and up against the wall, the chairs are in the basement and my desk take up the big wall with two wood bookshelves I got at a great deal on each side. The buffet is still there and I finally cleaned by piles off it and put a pretty red cloth on it. I like this spot because I can see the birds and cedars out the dininroom window and look out the livingroom window at the giant maple in the front yard. I can also see the fish for some relaxing gazing.

You can see a picture of it here.

Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 04:01 AM
I am in the kitchen

this is the computer and printer we got from the virtual academy for the homeschooling. I had geeksquad set it up in the kitchen.
Posted By: M o e Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 04:04 AM
It's so tidy. smile
Posted By: Terrie-Writing Editor Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 02:06 PM
I have an office, but I'm moving my desk to the dining room to give this room to my son, who's returned home. If I'm in the dining room, I'll quit burning all the food. An office is great, but I zone and forget I'm cooking dinner smile So I need to return--I spent most of my career writing in the dining room.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 02:11 PM
awwww my crane!! smile

I love origami smile I have two different bouquets of origami flowers in my office plus a few origami dragons smile I like origami because you can customize them as the whim strikes you.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 08:13 PM
I'm with Bonnie - in the kitchen (with the other supper-burners!)

This is easier now with laptops! It's great, I can just lift it out of the way and off the kitchen table when I need to. I must admit I find excuses not to use the PC in the Living Room now - big slow old dinosaur LOL!

However, like Terrie, the multi-tasking can reach epic proportions in a kitchen! I love the outlook to the countryside too.

My non-fiction articles don't feel so much like work now - don't know if that's a good or bad thing!
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 08:28 PM
I have a dedicated office that I refer to as the cave as it has one window and not a lot of light. It is also at the back of the apartment so I feel really removed at times.

I just got a laptop so I have been spending more time on the couch writing and working which I like but I also noticed my TV viewing has gone up but the view can't be beat - View From Living Room

Can't wait for spring so I can sit outside and work!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/02/08 08:39 PM
I usually write outside, in the early morning, after I take time to embrace the morning sun and welcome the new day.
Posted By: Nancy - Baby Names Editor Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/03/08 03:03 AM
I have a desk, but it's not really in an ideal location -- I would love to have a room of my own for writing. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/03/08 12:06 PM
Wow what a gorgeous view Allison! That is great! The view from my office is out to the front street but we have a lot of trees between us and the street so it's not that bad. I can see when deliveries come and such. Our back yard is all wooded so I look forward to summer when I can sit on the back porch.

Nancy - do you have any rooms that might be used for that purpose? Or a half-a-room?
Posted By: Donna Coogan Re: Where Do you Write? - 03/09/08 10:49 PM
I have an office off our master bedroom. I created it when my husband inherited his boss' old desk & gave it to me. I keep my computer in here, along with a t.v. and treadmill. Plus a photo printer and my scrapbooking supplies. Also lots of bookshelves for my collection of books & mags. My computer is next to the window where I can look out onto the front yard. I love having a window in my office!

My office is where I do my serious writing and all my research & correspondence, but I also keep a notebook in my bedroom. When I can't sleep, I'll sit up in bed and write down ideas, lists, sketches or whatever comes to mind late into the night. I always start each page with a date and time - it's fun to look through old notebooks and see what I was writing or thinking about & when.

I have lots and lots and lots of notebooks... smile

Donna smile
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/02/08 10:25 PM
Guys, the summer is coming..... the first warm day here in England for months! Bliss!

Are any of you making plans to take your precious laptop outside? I sure am - and am planning a list of all the protective things I'll need for my laptop baby outside.

Now, let me see..... sunshade, screenshader, extension lead ... (more later - I'll post again to let you know how we're getting on in the garden!)
Posted By: Ms A Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/02/08 10:38 PM
I tend to write either at the 'puter, or with paper and pen/pencil in the car. I wait for my ds a lot.... ;-)

Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/03/08 08:00 AM
Oh Ms A,

what sort of things do you write there? Have you ever tried writing an article or a story?
Posted By: Ms A Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/05/08 03:34 PM
I've mostly written articles -- homeschooling ones, really, when I was publishing the local hs newsletter. I find writing to be an amazing way to analyze things, too -- until I write about something, put it in a cohesive form, I haven't REALLY thought about it, no matter how often it's been on my brain!

Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/05/08 09:41 PM
That's a useful talent! You should use your education/publishing expertise and pop some articles on the internet - maybe a laptop for the car is a next step up from jottings LOL!

That's what I do - when I'm not in the garden, have laptop - will travel.
Posted By: Megan - Hiking Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/16/08 06:42 PM
I have a beautiful home office, complete with a redrock mural of Utah-inspired pictographs and petroglyphs, a large u-shaped desk and plenty of bookshelves -- but I hate being tied down to writing in one place. My laptop crashed a couple of months ago, so I bought a desktop PC. Less than a month later I'm buying another cheap laptop. Having space to write is nice, having freedom to write wherever you are is invaluable, IMHO!

Cheers,
Megan
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/16/08 10:02 PM
Me too - I think my output has probably tripled since I got my laptop! I now tend to make little mini workstations all over the house - garden - and car LOL!
Posted By: joanj Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/16/08 10:07 PM
I've done that too but I notice when I move my laptop to the kitchen table, it really bothers my wrists. I try to keep my work space in my office.

When my daughter got an apartment at college, I took over her room and my desk faces the window so i can look out and see the sky. I put my favorite photos on the wall and made it really nice. It's the first time I've had my own "work room."
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/20/08 06:28 PM
I have a designated writing area with a pc in my art room on the 2nd floor of my house, but my husband (who is a computer manager) brought home a cute little MacBook for me to experiment with. Now I've abandoned the stationary PC, unless I need to print. I'm all over the house, outside deck, basement and sun room. The only drawback is when I'm writing, I have to go searching for my thesaurus or binder, notepads, etc. 'cause they get separated from my laptop so much. I still love the freedom that the laptop has given me. Oh, and sometimes I compose in bed on a yellow pad and transfer my ideas over the next day to my laptop. I also keep a small notepad with me in my purse for when I'm out and about.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/20/08 09:57 PM
That's funny LOL - just like me losing my stuff too - we abandon our huge old PCs then need a box to carry our laptop stuff round in!
Here's my list of things to go looking for, before I start:
1.Laptop
2. Glasses
3. Address book (for emails,passwords,urls !)
4. Coffee
5.Notebook
6. Pen

Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/20/08 10:38 PM
I love to work on my laptop in my bright open kitchen. But I also love that I can move to my living room when the electrician comes to work in the kitchen lately. There is nothing better than a portable computer! smile

Shay
Posted By: mary-tea1 Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/21/08 02:37 AM
I also have a great study set up as an office complete with a lock on the door, that means stay out I'm writing, however, I love to take the laptop and go into the kitchen or out on the patio in the great weather. For some reason, I truly get inspired at the kitchen table. I also carry a spiral notebook and am constantly writing everywhere I go!
Mary Caliendo
tea editor
Posted By: Robin Crime Editor Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/21/08 03:02 AM
I really guess I write all over the place. I am staying with my aunt and I do have a room. I probably write in there, mostly.

When I have my writers group meetings, that gets me inspried and I do a lot of writing where we meet.

I had a company picnic and I took my notebook there. We were outdoors, etc I also had my camera and taking pictures came first, I guess.

Posted By: IndependentPartiesCynthia Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/21/08 03:09 AM
I write in my family room or den, I haven't decided what to call this room. I mostly "write" on my computer with Word. I need to write more in a journal, so I can go outdoors--especially with the weather being so much nicer these days.
Posted By: Mindy - Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/21/08 03:18 AM
I think I'm the oddball - I have my laptop with me ALWAYS and most of my writing (aka when the only time I have free time) is in my car between classes and work or other obligations!
Posted By: WestCoastDenise Re: Where Do you Write? - 05/02/08 07:12 PM
Great idea Mindy. I've written in my car sometimes but my battery gives out after an hour.

Right now, I write in my "Wisdom" room (room name based on a Feng Shui book). It's more of a library room due to space. If I can get a new laptop, back deck will get the honors.
Posted By: Laurie PK Re: Where Do you Write? - 07/17/08 09:44 PM
I write on my laptop, standing at my kitchen counter! I hate sitting all day, and our counters are higher than your average kitchen countertops, so there I stand, in between the coffee maker and the kitchen sink. I don't have far to go for a coffee break :-)
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 07/19/08 12:08 PM
LOL - I do that too sometimes! That's the trouble with laptops - they can be most places we are.I so missed mine when we took a break in London!

Be careful not to splash wash-up water on yours though!

What kind of stuff do you write? Is it stuff you need good concentration for?

Some things, like my bella articles lol, I need quiet to focus.

Know what you mean about sitting down - makes you feel unhealthy! I check in to the Walking Forum occasionally as it reminds me to fit a walk into my day!
Posted By: Grace, Ethnic Beauty Re: Where Do you Write? - 07/19/08 05:36 PM
I write in my bedroom. I have a desk and computer and I spend most of my time in my bedroom. I have a tv that I also keep on because a lot of times I find much inspiration from the tv most times.

We are planning on moving and we will have a 2 bedroom apt that will be just for me and my husband. Right now my oldest son lives with us with his 5 year old daughter. Her mother was killed in a car accident about a year agao so we let him live with us while he got up on his feet. cry

Well, the time has come for us to part ways and we will have our own place and he will have his for him and his daughter. frown

The extra bedroom will become my office/our office. I have all my books in storage because it was not enough room. So I will make me a library and small office when it is just the 2 of us. wink

I so desparatly need a lap top so I am not chained to the desk and PC all the time. I do take pen and paper when I go out so I can write. I do a lot of riding around with my husband and waiting for him when I am not home.eek

My bedroom is my bedroom even when my children were young they were not allowed in my bedroom. It is where I do everything, meditate, read my bible, study, research, watch tv, listen to music, write, read and just enjoy the quietness. cool

Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 07/19/08 06:35 PM
Sounds like an oasis of peace, calm and tranquility in there! Somewhere to recharge batteries (emotional and mental) so we are ready for our families/writing again.

There was once a story that Enid Blyton locked her children up while she was writing, so she could concentrate! I don't think any of us would go that far LOL!

Finding balance in life is key - but tricky!
Posted By: Lisa H Re: Where Do you Write? - 07/25/08 06:43 AM
I change writing rooms every few days. this week I'm in my bedroom because it's the basement, so it's cool, and I can keep my kids away from the TV. I prefer the living room because it's central and I can know what's going on in each room. Often, though I'm in the kitchen, too. It's just too easy to cook & write. Chopping things sparks creativity
Posted By: Jan: Current Events Ed Re: Where Do you Write? - 07/25/08 08:27 AM
I write all over the place. I live alone so I am free to use my laptop just about anywhere.

I would love it if someone would invent a waterproof laptop so I could write in the bath! My idea of heaven.
Posted By: Brandi - Re: Where Do you Write? - 09/05/08 04:23 PM
I do have a desk (and soon an office). I pretty much carry my laptop with me everywhere, though, so I write on the couch, at the dining room table, in bed. I also go to a coffee shop or just downtown to sit at least once a week - limits the hermit feeling.
Posted By: Bettyann - Christian Lit Re: Where Do you Write? - 09/05/08 06:23 PM
Right now I'm writing in my husband's old bedroom with pictures of trains on the wall over his __double__ bed! We're living with his mom, who's 96 yrs old and basically dying but may still be here in a year... or maybe a week. No way to tell. See my post entitled "Work" to read more about my plight. But, hey, I am working!
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: Where Do you Write? - 10/25/08 09:13 PM
I write in coffeehouses mostly or right from my living room couch. It depends what the distractions are at home.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/09/09 09:47 PM
Time to think about taking our laptops out into the garden guys!

Need some advice on tinted laptop screens - any ideas on good makes?
Needs to be a smaller one than my regular work one too, thinking of getting a net book!

Thanks, my writing business is waiting:
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Where Do you Write? - 04/10/09 08:24 PM
shhh don't tell anybody, most of my writing has been at work recently... wink
When I'm at home, I write in the family room surrounded by my family.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Where Do you Write? - 05/21/09 05:29 PM
I've been writing so much recently that I've found that my right arm is extremely sore...I guess from always leaning on the arm rest on my chair when I write...
Posted By: paulblau Re: Where Do you Write? - 08/05/09 06:26 PM
I prefer to write in trains. Somewhat I like to see the country passing by.
© BellaOnline Forums