BellaOnline
Posted By: Barbara - Polish Culture Polish names A-Z - 09/04/10 09:00 PM
Polish names have very often latin origin. But... we have its unique Polish versions. And therefore my name - Barbara - is the same in Poland as: Basia, Baska, Basienka etc.

What Polish diminutions do you know? What is the version of your name in Poland? I start with letter A:

Anna - in Polish it is also Anna, but every Anna can be called by friends also: Ania OR Anka
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/04/10 09:16 PM
B
BEATA
Usage: Polish, German, Scandinavian, Late Roman

Pronounced: be-AH-tah (Polish, German)
Derived from Latin beatus meaning "blessed". This was the name of a few minor saints.

I cannot find what my name would be or what it means in Polish. The origin of the name Phyllis is Greek and means "foliage". It is used in English, German and Greek speaking countries.
Posted By: Barbara - Polish Culture Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/05/10 05:08 PM
Great Phyllis! Indeed, Beata ,is quite popular name in Poland. Every Beata (expecially when young) you may call: Beatka smile

Phyllis... that is indeed hard one:) The only name - that is at least similar in sound - that comes to my mind is Polish version of Felicia... that is Felicja. It is old stylish Polish name... one can call every Felicja: Fela, Felka:)

But I remembered one more starting with A...

Agnes
Polish: Agnieszka (Aga, Agniesia, Agusia, Agniecha:)
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/05/10 07:43 PM
You are right, Barbara. I just remembered my Uncle Joe (Polish. my ex-husband's uncle-in-law called me Felicia. I forgot about that till I read your message)

C

Casmir (Boy) Meaning: Keeping the peace
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/05/10 08:04 PM
There's DOSIA. I was told it was the diminutive of Teodozja, equivalent to English Theodosia. I know the English name, but never knew anyone by that name..

My name Mona is generally given as of Irish origin, but seems to have a number of independent origins, including Arabic. But, I think, none are Polish.

Posted By: Barbara - Polish Culture Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/07/10 08:25 PM
Phyllis, Kazimierz is a great example:) many nobles and kings of Poland had that name:) let's take Kazimierz the Great:) he even started cities like - Casimir by Krakow, or Casimir by Vistula river:)

And every Kazimierz is... Kazek, Kaziu, Kazik... Kaziulek:)
Posted By: Barbara - Polish Culture Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/07/10 08:28 PM
I never knew any Teodozja myself either... but I know couple of Dorotas that are called: Dosia:) It is very nice abreviation:)

Mona... yes:) that doesn't seem Polis;) but if we look at similar name: Monika... in Poland we call Monika: Monia (similar, isn't it?), Moniczka, Monisia:) Monias are very nice:) at least the ones I know:)
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/07/10 10:15 PM
E
Eliasz, boy's name. Polish version of Elijah
Posted By: Barbara - Polish Culture Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/11/10 09:28 PM
Yes, indeed Eliasz is a Polish version. However, the name is not used in Poland as such (at least not temporary). But it wasa little bit in the past and I guess it is one of the names we know from Bible:) Like Jonasz (oh, I love that name), Euzebiusz etc.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/12/10 06:59 PM
What are some Polish names beginning with F - I know Felicia is a version of Phyllis.

Fryderyka?
Posted By: Barbara - Polish Culture Re: Polish names A-Z - 09/12/10 08:35 PM
Hmmm... let me think...

Fryderyk (like Chopin:), Fryderyka too (although not so popular as Fryderyk), Felicja (as was said before) and Felicjan (male version... could be called: Felek), Franciszek and Franciszka (male and female version of Francis or Frank). Other are: Fabian, Feliks , Filip , Florian...

I guess Filip and Franciszek would be the 2 most popular nowadays (among the names starting with F of course:)
© BellaOnline Forums