BellaOnline
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Music and work - 09/23/11 03:25 PM
Do you listen to music at work? Experts often present conflicting data on whether or not listening to music has a positive or negative affect on productivity.

Some researcher indicate that productivity is increased by 6.3% for all jobs. Other reseachers indicate music listening workers using computers were less productive then their counterparts who do not listen to music while working.

Is there a correct answer? Only you and your company can tell.

I usually have one ear phone in my ear (probably not very good for balance), but that way I am not blocking out communication.

My music? All sorts... Teena Marie, Gap Band, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Micheal Bubly, James Fortune, N'Sync, John Mayer, Pink, Marvin Sapp, Goo-Goo dolls, Stevie Wonder, Pink, JT, alot of oldies (Lakeside, Gap Band, Cameo) and a host of others...

Do you listen to music at work? If so, what genre or artist makes you more productive?
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: Music and work - 09/23/11 04:35 PM
In my last career, I was on the phones a lot and typically had a radio with generic soft rock playing in the background. The volume had to be kept low so that the caller could not hear the music, obviously!
I found that classical music like Mozart and Vivaldi was extremely calming and it enabled me to recharge and focus.

My favorite? Forever and always I'd have to say -- Bruce Springsteen, THE BOSS, whose birthday it happens to be today.

Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Music and work - 09/23/11 05:04 PM
Anna,

I get my love of vast music styles from my daughter. She opened my eyes (or ears) to a wide range of music when she was in highschool...LOL I'm sure I have a Bruce Springsteen song on my Ipod somewhere too. I hope he has a VERY happy B-day.

I remember, I don't even know if they had small devices back then, I had a co-worker who kept a radio on her desk (we all did), but when her favorite song came on...she'd turn it up and dance to it at her desk.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Music and work - 09/23/11 05:30 PM
I used to listen to classical music stations on my radio. With the volume low enough so only I could hear it. It kept me relaxed so my mind could focus better. Being an accountant, I needed to music to reduce stress.
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: Music and work - 09/23/11 05:41 PM
Hey Diane! I like the idea of dancing at work!

And Phyllis I think there have been studies done about the effects of classical music on stress reduction.

"The Mozart Effect" -- listening to Mozart -- supposedly improves performance and has a positive correlation/benefit in a child's development.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Music and work - 05/01/17 07:17 AM
I would only do it if I would be paid to listen to music or it would play while I work.
© BellaOnline Forums