BellaOnline
I was very moved on Wednesday evening when I saw part of the Sesame Street special - Coming Home
"Military Families Cope with Change"
http://www.pbs.org/parents/cominghome/about.html

It features Elmo and Rosita, Queen Latifah, and John Mayer.

Quote:
This primetime family television special tells the stories of military families coping with the challenges of combat-related injuries�both visible and invisible. ...explores the different ways these heroic families who are coming together to find a "new normal."

... The special encourages them to ask questions, talk about how they feel, and be what they are � kids. Queen Latifah hosts, meeting real families dealing with combat-related injuries including the loss of a leg, traumatic brain injury and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"Coming Home" is part of Sesame Workshop's Talk, Listen, Connect initiative for military families. ... We encourage children to watch "Coming Home" with a parent or caregiver, so they can ask an adult any questions they might have.

Along with video at the site, you can find web these pages:
The Families
Homecomings: Together Again
Changes: "The New Normal"
Signs of Stress
Activities from PBS KIDS
Resources

Are you aware of the support returning troops and their children might find in your community? Please contact your Mayor's office and Governor to let them know about this resource and encourage them to acknowledge local families.

I know that those in military service have children with special needs waiting at home with their mainstream brothers and sisters. Everyone benefits from the support and compassion we show one another.

If you have suggestions or stories, please share them here. I would like to know where newspapers and television news or talk shows have discussed the program.

Thanks!

Pam W
SE of Seattle

What resources are available in your area for military families who have children with special needs? In our area, I have heard only of [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
© BellaOnline Forums