BellaOnline
My son had what looked like eyelash dandruff with redness at the root of his eyelashes when he was a baby. His pediatric opthamologist diagnosed him with Blepharitis and gave me directions on how to clean the roots of his eyelashes twice a day. Warm compresses and eyedrops were later prescribed.

Blepharitis - Eyelid Inflammation Eyelash Flaking

Pam W
SE ofSeattle
There is a new treatment out there for blepharitis called Blephex ( I hope I didn't misspelled it) It absolutely changed my life! I am no longer miserable and hiding behind sun glasses. My eyelids feel clean after over 6 years of unbearable discomfort. This is an in office treatment so you can not do it yourself at home. My eye doctor used a special device to do it. Here is the proper description from their website: BlephExâ„¢ is a painless in-office procedure performed by your eyecare professional. A revolutionary new patented BlephExâ„¢ handpiece is used to very precisely and carefully, spin a medical grade micro-sponge along the edge of your eyelids and lashes, removing scurf and debris and exfoliating your eyelids. The patented micro-sponge is disposable and a clean one is used for each individual eyelid so bacteria is not spread between the lids.The eyes are rinsed well afterwards. The procedure lasts about 6 -8 minutes and is well tolerated. Most patients simply report a tickling sensation. A numbing drop is usually placed in each eye prior to treatment for increased comfort.
It looks as though this is an ad campaign for a very new product, aimed at patients who will be expected to contact their doctors about it. I can't imagine how children would react to this treatment. I watched the video and I am still cringing. The need for numbing eye drops is one reason this may not be indicated for children, as there is always a danger with medically necessary eye numbing that a child will injure their eye until the drops wear off. Even if this were standard care, I would hesitate to recommend it for children with disabilities, who are subjected to frightening and uncomfortable medical procedures more often than their mainstream peers.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Blepharitis - Eyelid Inflammation Eyelash Flaking
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art180023.asp

Originally Posted By: JuliaM
There is a new treatment out there for blepharitis called Blephex ( I hope I didn't misspelled it)
It absolutely changed my life! I am no longer miserable and hiding behind sun glasses. My eyelids feel clean after over 6 years of unbearable discomfort.
This is an in office treatment so you can not do it yourself at home.
My eye doctor used a special device to do it. Here is the proper description from their website:
BlephExâ„¢ is a painless in-office procedure performed by your eyecare professional. A revolutionary new patented BlephExâ„¢ handpiece is used to very precisely and carefully, spin a medical grade micro-sponge along the edge of your eyelids and lashes, removing scurf and debris and exfoliating your eyelids.

The patented micro-sponge is disposable and a clean one is used for each individual eyelid so bacteria is not spread between the lids.The eyes are rinsed well afterwards.

The procedure lasts about 6 -8 minutes and is well tolerated. Most patients simply report a tickling sensation. A numbing drop is usually placed in each eye prior to treatment for increased comfort.

© BellaOnline Forums