BellaOnline
Posted By: Linda19 How Old Should Aloe Vera Be Before Cutting? - 07/03/11 09:58 PM
I have an Aloe Vera plant that I nearly killed by over watering. It is coming back now. How old should the plant leaves be before they contain the chemicals that do the work? My plant is about 2 years old. Which leaves are best to use, the big outside leaves or the young new leaves?
At least in first grade.
LOL, good on Phyllis.

Linda, there is no particular age as each plant can grow at a different rate based on its health and the environmental conditions.

The larger the leaf the better. The plant grows from the inside out which means that the older leaves are on the outside and are lower than the ones on the inside. The longer you wait, the more you will get from your plant, but a burned finger will needs it even if the leave is rather small.

You might want to have at least two plants to use so that they can continue to grow as they are used.
LOL Phyllis, Okay!

Thanks for the advice Rebecca, I am on the lookout for another plant as this one has yet to put out babies, like my last one did.
I'm going to be getting some more aloe vera in a few months. I miss having it around. I put some over the counter gel on my son's sunburn and he was amazed at how fast it healed.
Just a little tip I got from a successful gardener here in town - Aloe loves to be planted in pairs and I have found this to be very useful indeed. He has this humongaloid aloe and all you have to do is ask for is start. My son and bf knew I wanted some, so as a surprise they went to his nursery and brought home two cuttings. He was right! After many tries with Aloe, these two babies took off and doing well. :)
© BellaOnline Forums