BellaOnline
Madonna is in the process of adopting her 2nd child from Malawi. What are your thoughts?

Should residency requirements be waived? If so, under what circumstances?

Here's a link to more information on adopting from Malawi:

Dept. of State Adoption Information on Malawi

I think she should have to follow the rules like everyone else. Her lifestyle is already off the charts. I think the residency would help her in really having a root system for the child instead of just "adding to her collection." The trips here and there in luxury aren't going to do much of anything accept in her mind to tell herself, "She's been there."

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Hi Elleise! Thanks for responding.

It looks like the lower court initially objected to the adoption, due to the residency requirement.

However, the higher court overturned their decision. They cited old laws (the residency ones), and the fact that that her charity, Raising Malawi has done so much for the children in Malawi.

Raising Malawi

However, some countries have very strict requirements (residence requirements and such)that don't change for anyone, famous or not.

I do think it's wonderful anytime people (famous or not) expands their family through adoption. smile

On one hand, the charity will of course help many children, and that's always a wonderful thing. smile

But, should this be related to a residency requirement being waived?

I found this interesting as well: According to the Dept. of state website, ten adoptions have happened from Malawi since the year 2000.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Here's some more information on the adoption:

Article on Madonna's Adoption From Telegraph.co.uk

What do you think? Could there by any truth to this article, or do you think it's speculation?
© BellaOnline Forums