BellaOnline
Posted By: BellaDeb Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/08/10 03:33 PM
As you wrap up 2010, are you thinking about your goals for 2011? It's a great time to look at 2010 and decide what you want to do in 2011. A brand new year is like a clean slate!

What are some of your goals for 2011?
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/08/10 04:28 PM
I'm always thinking about my goals. It's a friggin disease but a good one I think.

I don't usually discuss my goals (other than fitness ones) with others because that sends me into talk mode vs. do mode but I have big plans for next year and I already started taking action on this last week. So excited!!!

I do usually share after I start getting somewhere so I'll keep you posted : )
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/09/10 03:58 AM
Hi Deb!

I really don't have any goals but hope that the recession will be gone.

2010 was a year of challenges, but made me stronger and wiser.

To be honest, I am now glad as I look back, that I did go through what I did as it has made me "calmer" and I no longer allow people or situations to affect me.

I now find it funny when people "correct" me about stuff, I just say okay and move on keeping in mind that the minute the fun leaves, it is time for Angela to also leave.

I hope to enter 2011 with zest and enthusiasm and working on "tuning out" the silly stuff, stuff that is largely someone else's issues - not mine.

Great post as usual Ms. Deb - Way go GOOOOO!!! smile
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/09/10 07:05 PM
Monica, you're right, goal-setting can become an obsession (I guess anything can), but it's a good one! laugh

I don't share too much about my goals, either. And, that comes from way back in the day when someone told me (about writing) that it's good to keep it private until it's done. Otherwise, you do tell your story so you lose some of the impetus for writing it. Plus, people give you feedback (or you imagine their feedback) and then it gets all crazy in your head.

Then, there's the flip side which says you get more accountability when you share. So, I tend to do a mix, sharing some, keeping others to myself.

Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/09/10 07:09 PM
Angela, I would have pegged you for a goal-setter! LOL

I think even if people don't write out their goals, they sort of have them anyway. Being calmer about things is totally a goal and you can actually write out a plan for that. If you choose, of course--I help people write action plans for their goals so I can be a narrow-minded about it (This will help you, dangit!) LOL

Actually, I've had to write goals for so long for jobs that I don't know how I'd function without doing it. And, sometimes that "freedom" sure looks good. laugh

Glad you made it through hard times & came out stronger on the other side! YAY for you!

Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/10/10 12:11 AM
Great question, Deb - yes it is that time again. What I plan to do this time however, is to review what I've done this past year. For those goals that I accomplished - great. For those that I didn't I want to take a look back to see why I didn't.

I do not want to set up the same goals year after year without accomplishing them.

I plan to have my goals set, a new vision board started.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/10/10 05:36 PM
Great ideas, Dianne. I always start by reviewing my long-term goals (5 years) and revising them as necessary, then setting new ones. As we and our circumstances change, of course our goals will change, too.

This year, I need to get more focused on fewer things, so I will be spending lots of time thinking about what to drop and what to keep. Which means I need to really look at those long-term goals first.

I also think I'll be redoing my vision board. I think actually I'm about to write an article about it! laugh Thanks for the motivation!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 12:27 AM
I'm busy rethinking goals too. I actually got quite a few accomplished this year - and that's very different for me from the years before.

And I'm the total opposite of you Deb and Monica. I LOVE to share my goals. Cuz then I feel like I have to keep my word, ya know? Though I will admit, I'm careful about who I share with. It's no good having someone rain on your goal parade. LOL.
Posted By: Kat1980 Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 01:04 AM
My new years resolution is: not to have a new years resolution
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 02:26 AM
Thanks for your input. You totally got what I was saying : ) but I do think for some people sharing works. It's an accountability thing that can fuel motivation for some.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 02:57 AM
Like deanna, i am a big goal sharer. I never know who will have a nugget of unusual insight for me and I want to hear it all.

My problem is staying accountable. I forget things and move on to the next shiny toy that bobbles along.

I need some way to stay accountable better. I want some kind of cheerleader. Yes, I am a toddler. smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 03:15 PM
Jilly, I was just thinking about that this morning on my walk! I want a cheerleader/personal trainer/coach in my life!

Yesterday I had such an awesome day - I wrote an article for my dreams site and an article for my blog - and I've gotten so many compliments on it! This morning I wake with a pounding headache... and no inspiration LOL!!! That's why I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a coach.

I think I'll go hop in the shower and get my Teeccino... that always perks me up!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 06:08 PM
Deanna, I read that article--it was great!

Mastermind and similar groups are built around this idea and they're very popular. An old idea (Napoleon Hill)and they take many different forms, but the gist is that it's a group of like-minded people with differing persepectives who come together regularly (in person, via phone or online) to review each other's goals & provide feedback and support. (There can also be mastermind groups oriented toward helping one person or company).

The can be peer run or professionally facilitated, industry specific or just general groups of people who want to help each other reach their goals.

In a way, Bellaonline is sort of a big, informal Mastermind group.

Meetings usually give each member time to talk about what they are working on and what they need help with. They typically last about an hour and some meet weekly but I think most meet monthly.

We could do an online Mastermind Group here on the SOHO site. We could use the forums or even the chat room. I think I'll write an article about it & start another thread.

What do you guys think?

Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 07:18 PM
Deb, that would be the BOMB!! I would LOVE that! I've tried starting one with a couple of my friends, but it always fizzles out LOL! I would SOOO be there!!!

Absolutely!
Count me in!
Yes Yes Yes!!!
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/14/10 07:23 PM
That is a great idea Deb for those who like the support. I've also heard them called inner circle. There's a few in the fitness biz that you have to pay a membership fee to join which weeds out all the people who aren't serious about their fitness business goals. I belonged to two of these sites back when I was getting my fitness business started and it helped a lot but once I got rolling I didn't feel the need to stay.

All the self development and marketing gurus seem to have mastermind groups. Some run around $100, $1000 or more per month. Some require an application so not just anybody can join but they offer so many bonuses too. Yanik Silver's is $5000 on acceptance and $1200 for 12 months or you can prepay $17,000 for the year. Hang on while I whip out my cc ; )

Free mastermind should be sounding pretty good to those interested.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/15/10 04:22 PM
Wow, that's expensive! But, I certainly see the benefit of paying--it certainly helps one "invest" more in the group.

I like the idea of doing this online, but wonder if we should move it to the editor's forum since a bit of privacy might be a good idea? Or maybe a private group on FB? Hmm, that might be easier & would be open to non-editors as well.

I do want to limit the size of the group--just don't think it would work well to have lots of people who maybe post once or twice then disappear.

I'll think on this & if you guys have ideas, please share!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/15/10 04:26 PM
Wow! So you could actually make a living just running master mind groups LOL!!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/15/10 04:35 PM
And, a very nice one, it seems! laugh

I just checked out FB groups and you can do "secret" groups on there, so that might be an option.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/20/10 09:59 PM
I am good to join it no matter if it's here or on FB. It would be nice to have chats.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/28/10 04:29 PM
YAY! I'm excited Deb and Jilly!
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/28/10 05:01 PM
I poked my head in and saw the word "free"...lol...but seriously, I think it's an excellent idea. Like Jilly, I need the accountability thing.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 12/29/10 04:24 PM
Okay, I set up a forum thread for a January Mastermind Group.

Just go there & get started! I thought a monthly thread would be a good way to keep us moving along & not get one ginormous thread.

You can post whatever you want, but it might be easier to pick say your top two or three goals for the month. Or just one big one. laugh
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 01/06/11 05:26 PM
The thing about letting the situation do its work though is that you don't know what you'll get?

If I want a career as a writer or musician, I have to set goals and follow through on things, otherwise I'll just be sitting around waiting for things to happen.

I have yet to meet a musician who has "made it" by waiting for something good to happen.

Goals ARE fulfilled when you follow through. That's just planning. If you wanted to take a vacation, you'd plan it out, right? Not just show up at the airport? That's all goal setting, just on a smaller scale.

Of course, those are just my thoughts ;D

Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 01/06/11 07:57 PM
Well said, Deanna! Proactive is the way to go!
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 03/02/11 07:28 PM
AlHeroic I like your purpose for 2011. An observation (which anyone is welcome to argue with!) - western culture is more centred on individuality, eastern culture on family/group. This can give a very different emphasis as to what matters and what is important.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 07/10/11 09:05 PM
I definitely think a key for me is to review my goal list monthly. That way I know I'm on track and if a goal has become less important I can weed it out.

Sometimes I'll have a goal and when after a few months I see progress isn't being made, I have to rethink what that goal is all about. Maybe I need to approach it from another direction. Like my email backlog smile
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Setting Goals for 2011 - 07/10/11 09:23 PM
Now that my husband I have separated, I've brought my vision board from my home office to my bedroom. So I've had a chance to identify to goals I reached, those that I probably won't and those that I better get a move on...
© BellaOnline Forums