BellaOnline
Hello everyone, thanks so much for your wonderful messages that I've received from you, offering your kind thoughts and prayers for those Aussies that have lost everything in the worst bushfires in Austalian history.

I'm going to open the forum for suggestions of how we can help these people. I must say that many, many quilt groups are busy making and providing quilts for those in need, and I think that area will be well looked after.

I thought we might as a group of caring quilters from all over the world, may be able to contribute not only to quilters but everyone who has been affected.

My suggestion is to make a "Sewing Repair Kit" comprising a small pouch (I'll provide the pattern free on the Bellaonline site) containing things like needles, thread, buttons, pins, safety pins, tape measures, elastic, velcro and any thing else we can think of that people will need in a a little sewing repair kit. This item will not be too big, and probably be within the means of all our Bellaonline quilters to post to Australia. I'll provide a GPO address for you to use.

What do you think? If you have a suggestion please, please put it here, so we can all discuss it and come up with the best idea.

Thank you in anticipation of your great ideas,
Cheerio for now
Hi Judie, I think that is a lovely idea. I've been racking my brain and I thought that that some little personal things like glass cases, make-up bags, wash bags, table mats, tv remote armchair bags, would be nice too. I make little childens tote bags with fun designs on, I think they would like them and to know that they are not forgotten either.
I know what is like to have everything lost. My 2 daughters lost everything in Katrina. Each had a prized hand sewn quilt from my mother, which was lost due to all the mold. It cannot be replaced since my Mother has passed away. There are countless things, they missed clean clothes, personal care items, bed linens, etc. We are still catching up. I would remind everyone to not forget even years later, because these people are still trying to get back into homes with no money to do so. good luck to everyone.
Yes, Judie, I do think the smaller items are a better idea for us to tackle. Olivier111 certainly has put lots of thought into it. I hope that the recovery has already begin. As Lucy said, that takes years and sometimes (as in the case of Katrina) may never happen. There are things that can not be replaced, but we can do what we can to replace other things.

My thoughts are with all who are dealing with disaster.
© BellaOnline Forums