BellaOnline
Hi everyone, I've just posted the Rhode Island State Quilt Block as part of the State Block Series, and I'm thinking of doing a series of Quilt Blocks of the State Capitals of the USA. In 1912, a competition was held (similar to the State quilt block competition) to gather the quilt blocks of each of the state capitals. A book was published with these blocks and I'd like to present them here on the BellaOnline Quilting site. Would readers be interested in that series? I'd love to have some feedback.
Cheerio for now
I would love to see State Pattern Blocks! This Rhode Island Block is one I am going to do with tongue in cheek. I will be doing it in Red and White - "Rhode Island Red".
Wanetha
Hi Judie... am new to this site.not sure if this is where I need to aske this question...I saved a few of the State Quilt blocks to "Delicious"... My only problem now is I cannot figure out how to get to them so I can make them....Also am I allowed to print the directions for my use to make the block. Is there any place that I am unaware of that explains how to do this...Also I think State Capital blocks to go with the state blocks is a wonderful idea...Memere60
Hi memere60, thanks for your message. I'm not sure what Delicious is but I'm guessing it's a title in our favourites. Not sure how I can help you there, but there is an "implied" permission for you to download the instructions and use them for your own use. So go right ahead. Thanks too for your comment about the state capitals.
Cheerio for now
I would love to see the blocks. I have collected patterns for years but these will be some I have not seen before. Thanks so much for sharing. Will be anxious to see them. The remainder of the state blocks will be fun too.
The colors that you've used in the pattern, are they suggested colors or is it totally up to the quilter?
In your search for patterns for the state capitals, could you also collect those for the State flowers?
Hi, everyone. I have been going to the Bellonline site for it seems like forever, and just now joined the forum. Boy this is a large forum with so many boards to get involved with. Awesome. Anyway, this is probably the wrong place to be writing about just joining but I want to include YES to the State Blocks. I was going to start making the blocks already done a long time ago but did not because I did not want to have another UFO. But I will definitly start making them if we are going to get the rest. Thanks for sure. I am on board!( Yes Pun intended (-: )
Thank you for revitalizing the State Blocks. And my vote is "FOR" State Capital blocks. My husband and I visit state capitals as we travel around the US. Marble and granite floor patterns make wonderful quilt patterns. I have a collection of fabric that resemble marble so I can someday make a quilt from these patterns that symbolize our travels. Maybe I should get started and do one after each capital visit so I don't end up with 50 to do at one time. Thanks for listening to my think my way through this plan. LOL
Hi Judie, THANKS so much for picking up the State Quilt Blocks Series. That is how I found BellaOnline in the first place. I have the book that was reprinted in the 1970's and have been working on making a block for each of the 7 states in which I have lived. The directions in the book use templates instead of measurements. I prefer quick measurements to messing with templates, when possible. I have also found that there are different variations to some of the blocks. Some are even totally different. Anyway, it is a fun way to remember all of my homes. I Love your newsletter. CDM
Thank you very much for continuing this. I was afraid I'd never get them all.
I wanted to rework the size of the blocks and make a quilt of all 50. I might make it now. Anyone else? I think it would be a great project.
This is my first visit to BellaOnline and am interested in the state blocks patterns. In your note about them, you said you just posted them. Where and how do I access them?

Thanx
I know you didn't ask me but I had been watching it. It is here:

Quilt Blocks of the States
Thank You
Posted By: LindaW The Quilt of Belonging - 08/01/08 12:41 PM
This is a wonderful quilt. You must take a look. The next time your hand quilting and it seems like forever before you'll finish, think of "The Quilt of Belonging". The site is
www.QuiltofBelonging.ca
Yesterday, I asked several questions at the State Blocks forum, but it seems like most of my answers were already here. Does anyone know where you can get that book that was reprinted in the 70's. I always think on a larger plane and was thinking that Countries (or Capitals) of the World would be the next step. But I can't imagine the scope of that project. For right now, I am happy to know that the State Blocks will be complete. Thanks so much for that. GrannyH
Hi all, I just joined this forum, and see all the talk about the State blocks. Where do I find them? I'd love to have patterns for all the states! Thanks! Viv
You'll find them on the link a couple comments above. They're not all done yet, but Judie is working on them. I still don't know the history, but I can't wait to finish a complete quilt with all 50 blocks. Hope it's not the kind of thing my grandkids will fight over - have no plans to make 6.
Originally Posted By: grannyh
You'll find them on the link a couple comments above. They're not all done yet, but Judie is working on them. I still don't know the history, but I can't wait to finish a complete quilt with all 50 blocks. Hope it's not the kind of thing my grandkids will fight over - have no plans to make 6.
That is funny! LOL
State Capitals Quilt Blocks: 50 Patchwork Patterns from "Hearth and Home" Magazine.
----------------
Roopa

Rhode Island Drug Treatment
Roopa, just want to welcome you to Bella, hope you enjoy your stay
"Rosie"
Roopa, I have recently learned that Hearth and Home Magazine also did 50 USA State Star Blocks from 1907 to 1912. Do you know if they are the ones who also did the 'original' 50 State Blocks? And would it have been in the same time period? Do you know if any of these three publications may be available today? How do you suppose they knew that we would have 50 states in 47-52 years?

Granny
Granny, I can answer your questions. In 1907 a popular farm magazine Hearth and Home inaugurated its STATES-OF-THE-UNION series of quilt blocks for which readers from around the country were asked to contribute. The 48 best patterns, (together with the two "outlying possessions" of Alaska and Hawaii)whether original designs or the senders' favorites then appeared in the magazine, and were then reprinted in 1976 by Dover Publications.

As for the State Capitals Quilt Blocks another competition was held, again by Hearth and Home, for the best 48 patterns for each of the STATE CAPITALS (including the two "outlying possessions" of Alaska and Hawaii). It is these blocks that I'm proposing to bring to the BellaOnline quilters in the near future. I believe I've received enough positive responses that it is worth going ahead with this series.

Hope that clears things for everyone. Cheerio
I was just getting ready to ask, how could they know about the fifty states when our wonderful editor Judie filled us in. Very interesting info! I am excited to do those when they start. And oh yeah Granny, so you decided on the colors. It is a sure thing?
I have to agree with you that Judie is wonderful. I came to Bella in my search for State Blocks. I didn't know there had been a break in completing them. I only knew they were not done, and that I did not like all that were done. I am so happy that Judie is completing them, but more so because she is doing such a good job of making the instructions clear enough for the casual quilter that I am. I don't know why I think I need to know the history - but I want as much accuracy as possible since I can only see this quilt hanging in a public place.

Anyway, I came to Bella for the state blocks, but I have found so much more that I like, I think I'll stick around for more. Thanks to Judie.

Granny
© BellaOnline Forums