BellaOnline
Posted By: Judie Quilting Editor What bought you to quilting? - 04/03/12 09:55 PM
We all have a story to tell about how we became smitten with quilting. What is your story? Be part of this conversation here on the Quilting Forum of Bellonline.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Cheerio for now
Posted By: gammy Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/04/12 06:49 AM
Hi Judie What brought me to quilting? I always have sewn and knitted and crochet starting from a very young age, I remember learning to knit age 4 years. Anyway I wanted to learn patchwork as a young teenager but could not follow the instructions I had so went on other crafty excursions. 6 years ago we lost our grandson - stillborn and I was having a particularly down day about 8 mths later. I was driving aimlessly over the sunshine coast Queensland and happened to arrive in the patchwork angel. They were great and I was hooked. I am a quilting addict. If I don't get a full day at least once a week I am not nice to be around. I have met many great people and learned so much along the way and have produced many quilts. My favourite is the peace cranes quilt, dedicated to my late hubby. I am a addict and I love it. Cheers Deb
Posted By: Bakas Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/04/12 10:16 AM
Hi All I have always sewed and done various other crafts, and was given a class by a friend as a present (I think she wanted company) and anyways I enjoyed it and she didn't too precise for her she said. I never did a lot for about 5 years after the class and then my sister and I signed up for a sampler quilt class at the local night school and the rest is history as they say :) Recently I was burgled and lost some of my first quilts, you know the ones without labels or photos because they weren't good enough to document, how I wish I had been as proud of them as I am of my later quilts as we are really feeling the loss they were like old friends.... so please learn from my mistake and label and photo graph ALL your quilts.
Posted By: clmharper Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/04/12 01:48 PM
We were living in Saudi Arabia from 1998 through 2002, where there was little enough to keep one occupied as it was... and early in 1999, a neighbor discovered that there were beginning quilting classes being offered by a lady from Houston who lived in one of the oil company compounds. BUT... she didn't want to take the class by herself. She, and another neighbor, the latter an experienced quilter, talked me into being her companion and that was it. I ended up not only taking that class but two more years of classes, while the neighbor dropped out after a year!
Posted By: MaureenKS Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/04/12 04:05 PM
My grandmother was a quilter who supported her family by piecing and quilting for others in the community. I always admired her work and it just seemed that I should follow in her footsteps. I have been quilting for 40 or more years, more now than when I had children around. I wouldn't be able to give it up!
I have taken a few classes, it never hurts to be reminded of different processes.
Posted By: hpiner Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/04/12 06:52 PM
I am in my 44th year and as my two kids were getting close to making me an official empty nester I figured I better find a hobby. I have no eye for fashion, i love crafting, hate knick knacks, and love the lore and history of quilting, particularly american history (how to make an american quilt combined my other passion - movies, with quilting). So, I knocked on a friends door who I knew to be a quilter, and she and i did a 9 patch cover for a lap quilt in an afternoon, while I learned to stitch, use a sewing machine, a rotary cutter, and other tools of the trade. She sent me out the door with the fill and the backing pinned to the front and I went home and stitched my way through some of my favorite old movies. I have been quilting 3 years and have made 6 quilts, designed my own patches on 2 of them. I love it, I love the creativity, I hate looking for fabric, but I love looking for and making patterns. I'm hooked!
Yes Gammy, it is quite amazing the reasons people are attracted to quilting. I wonder if it's got to do with the calm it gives you as you are creating. I know my mind tends to roam off into a quiet sanctuary while I'm hand quilting or needleturning. I love that feature of quilting.
Cheerio for now

Hi Bakas, I'm so sorry to hear of your trauma and loosing your quilts. I can't imagine why people want to steal other people's quilts. I really hope that these quilts are returned to you safely and soon. We can all learn from Bakas's experience - identify and photograph your quilts quilters!

Cheerio for now
Hey clmharper, I bet you're thrilled that you attended that first class. I hear this story many times, where there is reluctance to attend, only to turn out to be the most passionate quilter in the world. Go girl!

Cheerio for now

You know Maureen, I envy you your history. I wish I had a family quilting background such as you do. That is the epitome of what quilting is all about for me...... handing down through the generations. Lucky you to live the dream.

cheerio for now
HPiner, it's lovely to hear that you like creating your own designs. I think you're lucky if you have that in your nature. Some quilters are just happy to use other people's patterns - I guess it's horses for courses.

cheerio for now
Posted By: GallopingButterfly Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/06/12 06:51 PM
Both of my grandmothers were quilters and I loved to watch them work. Then while I was in high school and started helping the women's quilting group at my church. They taught me so much and I loved it. But I had to wait until my children were older (the last one in high school) before I really go to start quilting. That was 20 years ago and I haven't looked back. I love all the processes. Especially taking 2-3 patterns and putting them together to make my own quilts.

I am like so many of you. Don't be around me when I haven't sewn much! I am not a pleasant person then.
You made me laugh Galloping Butterfly, it took me a while to get my husband to realise that a no sew day for me, was a no go day for him! Nowadays, he checks to see that I've got some time for sewing!

Cheerio for now
Posted By: lmm Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/11/12 02:31 AM
A love of crafts and sewing, My mother, grandmnothers and great grandmother all were wonderful seamstresses. I have fond memories of sitting making dolls clothes with both my grandmothers, in particular a blue checked dress for my favourite doll. My parents never had a lot of money, so often clothes were made from dresses from my grandmothers or others that were given to Mum, and any scraps of material were sewn together to make outfits. I still do this today, using up all scraps. I had my first "patchwork" lesson back in the late 1980's when my youngest son was at preschool. A few years of lots of patchwork and quilting before off farm income was needed. And now after semi-retiring I have started again in the last 2 years. Although currently not doing anything much, as my other obsession family tree research has taken over. But one or other of these loves or my new find of scrapbooking and card making occupy the majority of most days for me. I once told a good friend I would need to live at least another 100 years to finish all the projects I have in my head to do with these 3 hobbies, let alone anything new or a new hobby I might want to learn. I tend not to go to classes or groups anymore, as I have few enough hours in a day as it is, instead I sit and sew, or research or glue, and am happy to pass the time with my ever growing family and circle of friends. Unfortunatley, I still have not made myself a quilt to keep. I have made over 20 single bed size or bigger quilts in the last 2 years, and given them all away. My grandchildren, love it when grandma produces another quilt, their dilema is which one do they put on the bed? And when I have made dolls cot quilts for my granddaughter to match her quilts, they cannot be used for the dolls, but are just right for quilts to go over the pillows, so now I make pillow quilts to match the bed quilts for the grandchildren, as they like them better then a matching pillowcase. So I guess a love of sewing and craft and growing up being frugal, with an artistic leaning, but not tallented enough to draw led me to quilting.
Posted By: Rosely Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/12/12 04:24 AM
Well Rosely from Sao Carlos, BRazil. I always love to see patchworked quilts or bags. When I married, 35 years ago, I met my husband's aunt (in fact she hosted us for a week while looking for a house) and saw that beautiful log cabin quilt over her bed and got hooked as you say. After retirement, a friend of mine Sonia taught me how to do a nine patch square and I am here, writing to experienced quilters. I must add that Judie's newsletter helps me a lot keep going on this world.! Cheer to Judie and all quilters!
Posted By: Diane Manuel Re: What bought you to quilting? - 04/16/12 04:00 PM
This may sound like a sad story but it really isn't. It is a story of a friend who had the courage to reach out to a woman in need. Several years ago I had a bad year. It started with the death of my dad and ended with my diagnosis of breast cancer. At any rate, my friends at work knew I need help but didn't know what to do. A dear woman decided that I should learn to quilt. She was with me at classes; hovering over me as I worked and helped me with color and fabric choices. That was almost 15 years ago. I still work on quilting but also do other sewing. I will be forever grateful to this woman who introduced me to fabric arts. I had sewed when my children were young but this was different. She also introduced me to groups of woman quilters. Spending time with them is like no other.
© BellaOnline Forums