BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Sell everything you own for cash - 12/31/12 02:31 AM
If you needed money, and wanted less stuff, where would you sell what? Using the internet, consignment stores, used item stores, garage sales and even trade/barter systems, what is the best way to get rid of:

music
books
gift cards
coupons
housewares
baby stuff
outdoor gear
cooking supplies
crafts and craft supplies
pet stuff
bedding
food items
clothes
antiques
stamps
coins
silver/gold/metals
jewelry
watches
cell phones
computers
other electronics
cars and trucks
RVs and trailers
hair supplies
lengths of human hair
blood and plasma
barterable skills
shoes
leather items (belts, jackets, shoes, bags
purses
luggage
collectables
paper ephemera, old photos
tools
antlers and horns
wildcrafted herbs and mushrooms
house and yard plants
fill dirt and construction materials
bicycles
boats
wedding dresses
prom and bridesmaids dresses, tuxedos
furniture
gardening supplies
auto supplies
land parcels, acreage

What else is kicking around in your attic, basement, closets, and under the bed? If you planned to liquidate your entire life, how would you begin?

I know this is an overwhelming question, so let's start small. What suggestions do you have for selling something specific, for cash?
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 01/13/13 04:56 PM
Craigslist is the quickest and easiest for me. Ebay, less so due to the listing fee and competition.

Garage sales are great for quick cash but you won't get top dollar.

I think you might be able to find specialty forums to list things such as collectibles, wedding dresses, land, etc.

It does take dedication and time but the pay off can be good. In fact, many make it a business.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 02/06/13 06:10 PM
Resale seems like a fun business. I want to be a Picker. I don't want to do any selling, though. Just the finding. heh. I guess most people would rather find than sell?

Anyone sell anything from this list? How about selling blood and plasma?
I've just started doing consignments for sale.

Yes, the finding is much more fun.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 05/08/13 10:54 PM
VI, how is the consigning going? I need to start doing that.

I have a friend putting things on ebay for me, but they aren't selling.
I am starting to sell a bunch of my stuff on craigslist. Some baby stuff and house ware items.
It is going rather well. There is no shipping for me, which is an issue for where i live.
Old furniture could be a nice niche. Finding things at estate sales and then reselling it. Does anyone know of a good online tool for pricing furniture?

Posted By: kylie007 Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 07/30/13 08:52 AM
Criagslist or Ebay but as someone above said the fee's on Ebay are a bit of a pain and with CL i can sell locally so no shipping...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/02/13 08:25 PM
I'm working on selling my Jeep right now on CL. It's so much easier to be a buyer than a seller.

I am only getting lowball offers so far. I'll re-word the ad and try again. I'm in no hurry.
Jilly,

I've been thinking of you literally, a lot, but not even two days ago.

I don't know, something you wrote a long time ago, was coming to me again and again and I kind wish I were there to help. Stuff like that just comes to me sometimes. Word's out there's actually something under the psychological redefinitions called "overly-empathetic." But me? I just call it caring.

But anyway, about the question? If I had a bunch of stuff that I wanted to get rid of, wanted or needed cash, what I'd do is make an on-line, shop of it all through Amazon or some other place that offers, "A Market Place.".

I'd make a cover page or whatever they call it, not only a clever title, but pleasant to look at.

There's also a "new-term" used to get the attention of buyers, now called "Fair-trading" or "fair" something. So, you could use that to attract visitors.

But you could call it something like "Second Time Around..." or something like that? smile

If you have the ability, take the time to organize by category - I don't have that ability and take photos. The reason I mention Amazon is because traffic is so high.

Still there's ALWAYS more places than one to go.

Other than that, if you have emails, such as mine...I might just need something you need to get rid of. I'llhave to find a way to get back to this page, lol.

Awhile back I suggested Bella have an editor or just Bella Garage Sale...but it's hard for me to go back to posts I make. Dyslexic.

But anyway...I'll go through your list and see if maybe there's something i could use? smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/02/13 09:04 PM
You're so sweet, Karen. Those are just possible categories I was listing for people to get started in thinking about things to sell. I do have some of those things...I should make a list specific to me. smile

Amazon is an interesting idea. I wonder if people can sell personal, non-media items there?

Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/04/13 10:32 PM
I put up an ad for a loveseat of mine on craigslist today. $25. Will report on when it sells!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/09/13 02:19 PM
So far I got one nibble on the loveseat, and they never showed up. So i put up a new ad for it yesterday and increased the price from 25 to 50, just as an experiment, and used a more lighthearted tone in the wordage.

I may as well use this thread as an experiment diary and see how things go, and report here. It's kind of fun. I'm in no hurry with this loveseat.

The jeep is still for sale, and I have several offers, but everyone is still lowballing. I'll write up what I am doing about that next.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/10/13 04:46 PM
Today I got an offer for the price i want on the jeep, but from someone who can only make payments of $300 a month. It would take five and a half months to pay that off! I'm not a car rental agency.

BAH.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/10/13 04:47 PM
In other news, someone wants to trade their dorm-sized fridge for my loveseat. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Hopefully that trade will be made today.
Posted By: PeggyAnn Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/10/13 06:11 PM
Hope the trade goes through Jilly.

I need to start down sizing and selling for cash.

I put a storage shed, last year to store "STUFF" in.

Haven't used any of it in the past year, don't even really know what all is in there now....I need to start turning that into cash.
My first choice for selling things is ebay. Stuff has to be pretty new to sell on Amazon, but then you are dealing with shipping. If you don't like shipping, then Craigslist is good.

I make sure when I sell something that I make $10 per item or it's not worth my time and I donate it. Also, to sell something and ship it, it must be small enough and cheap enough to package and mail. If it's too big or too heavy, that's when I use Craigslist.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/10/13 10:12 PM
Yeah, CL is great for large items. I was happy the loveseat went, and next I am putting up the mini-fridge I got in exchange for it.

I wrote the fridge ad just now, and need to clean it up and take photos tomorrow.

I also need to list a beach cruise bike.

I'm putting all the cash in one place for our emergency fund stash. I now have a goal of making $10k from selling all my extraneous possessions.
I love this idea. I am giving myself 2 years to sell most everything from the garage and all the extra stuff all through the house. The kids are grown, and for the most part they have taken all their stuff. Maybe if they hear that I'm serious about getting rid of stuff they will come and get the rest of their "treasures"!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/10/13 11:18 PM
Laura, I bet they will. I'm sure of it. Nothing lights a fire under people more than the threat of losing something. lol

As for selling things off, I believe one of the most important elements is to set a money goal. How much would you like to make from your things?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/10/13 11:45 PM
Our house is filled with piles of things we want to get rid of. We seem to always have challenges with Craigslist. People say they'll come and don't show up. People show interest and then don't respond to email. It gets a bit wearying. On one hand we could just donate the items - but on the other if we have 100 items in the house each worth $10 each, that's still a lot of money.

We do have shelves of books upstairs that are listed on Amazon and Paperback bookswap. Those go out slowly. It seems to take a while for them to be claimed, after the initial flurry of "top desired items" clears out.

Right now the big pain is the parakeet cage in the kitchen. I think I have it down to $19 and still it's not being taken. It's an awesome cage, so it bothers me to not get fair value for it. But I guess I need to drop the price again.
Posted By: Burt B. Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/11/13 08:07 AM
I posted this on another thread, but it is more appropriate here:

quote=Burt B.Hey Jilly,

Nice to see you posting again smile

I'll always remember you reaching out to me in friendship when I was new to Bella and kinda down and out in Beverly Hills smile

Now I get to return the favor smile

Connie, my better half, has been experiment with on-line garage and yard sales for over 4 years now and she had a bumpy road for a long time.

There was a lot of chaos and drama against the admin for enforcing decency rules of respect in the groups.

But, as she has just told me, all and all it is a good place to get rid of unwanted merchandise and things you simply don't want or need anymore.

Connie went through a lot of bummed out times when it was slow and did not take off.

Well, it did take off and over time she grew it to over 5000 members and had to have help with other admin.

She was structuring it on her own and was trying to keep people in the right categories and manage drama.

Well, as luck would have it, she was very fortunate to find out that there is a group of folks on facebook who have solved the majority of problems with an app inside facebook called

https:
//www.varagesale.com

So, save your $47 and find a VarageSale group in your area !!

They have over 300,000 groups that span the globe.

It is all done through facebook.

1) Have to have a facebook account.
2) The app is inside facebook called VS
3) Find a group in your area and ask to join !

I really, really hope this helps you out as it is very organized and orderly with over thousands of people buying and sell per group 24 / 7 !! smile !!!

Though this VarageSale, Connie and I have gotten everything from pots and pans brand new in the box to patio furniture Brand New $75 for the set -- brand new computer for dirt cheap, clothes, books, beds, antiques, jewelry, real gold for pennies on the dollar !!!

She is sitting in a slightly used leather chair with a matching ottoman for $15 !!!

We even got yard work done simply by asking who wanted to do it !!

Very inexpensive.

Times are hard and people are really taking advantage of this buying and selling person to person without a middleman !!

Here in Florida you have to have a permit for a physical yard sale limited to 2 per year.

But that does not apply to on-line yard sales.

It was made by a lady in Montreal Canada who's husband wrote the app to keep things orderly.

So, check it out Jilly smile

They have a map so you can find a group locally to you in AZ or CA.

Virtual Garage Sale !!

Best on The Planet !!!

There are individual yard sales on facebook, but since Connie started one on her own and was the admin, it became to unruly to manage, so now VarageSale is more organized and orderly so it pretty much runs itself without her pulling her hair out.

Hope this helps smile

Burt & Connie smile smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/11/13 03:23 PM
I work well with Craigslist, but then I have no problem with people being flaky. I expect it and am flaky myself.

I just ask people to text me if they are interested in something, and to let me know when they are heading out to the agreed meeting place. I won't meet someone if they aren't texting to say, "On my way." The system works well for my level of expectations. smile

I like that it is cash-based, and it is free to use the system.

Lisa, as far as selling the bird cage, if it's worth more, maybe hold onto it for a while and relist later at the price you want. Maybe after the holidays people will want nice cages for the birds they got for Christmas. smile

Or maybe try another ad and list it for more. With the loveseat I just sold, there was no action on it when i listed it for $25. So I made another ad, listing it for $50. And suddenly I had people interested. People might figure your cage is worth more if you asked $75 or something. it might be worth trying.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/23/13 11:01 PM
My Craigslist trading update. This is fun:

I took the $25 loveseat Dan got on craigslist, which he didn't want and was planning to drop off at Goodwill. I put a $25 ad on CL and got no love. So then I relisted it at "$50 Or Trade", and suddenly people were popping up.

I agreed to a trade with a nice mini-fridge, just so see if I could list THAT for more than the $50 loveseat.

I cleaned up the fridge and posted it at "$100 Or Trade" on CL yesterday. Today someone offered me $75 for it and I agreed. If they come out this afternoon, as planned, then I turned a loveseat that we were going to donate away into $75.

And I am still getting offers for the $50 loveseat, even though I took the ad down.

I am still also getting offers for my Jeep, even though the ad is down. I decided to keep the jeep for now and sell it again later in AZ, since jeeps are going for more there than here in CA. If I did take either of the two jeep offers I have here, though, I will in the end have sold it for only $100 more than I bought it, a year and a half ago.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Sell everything you own for cash - 10/24/13 12:23 AM
YAY, success! I just sold the mini-fridge for $75. The buyer got a deal and we got a deal. Everyone is happy. I just did the rooster dance with my mother.

So that is one way to make $75 from nothing (a loveseat Dan wanted to give away for nothing). I put the money into my Europe trip savings.

Do you have anything in your house you are not using? See if you can sell it, or at least trade it for something you CAN sell.

What aren't you using? I can help you figure out how to sell it.
© BellaOnline Forums