BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Use cash for non essentials - 06/02/12 06:02 AM
I personally find cash a lot harder to spend than whipping out the debit card or check. ( I don't own a credit card).

Cash seems more like real money, hard earned money, and I am not comfortable carrying it around or spending it. I hate forking over real money!

Since i don't have any room in my spare budget for non essentials, I make cash here and there selling off something or selling scrap metal i collect. This cash goes into a stash that I hate raiding from. Therefore, my new idea is to only use this money to buy things that are not food, mortgage or utilities.

Do you think this would work for others?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 06/05/12 06:38 AM
Today worked well with using only cash. I needed to make a return on an item and ended up with a few dollars. I put that with a little 'kitty' i have and was able to buy something non-food that was needed.

I just have to remember not to use the debit card. Like, ever. It's for paying the bills only and cat food. If I want to go to a bar i have to use my cash kitty. I like how this makes me uber mindful.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 06/05/12 06:45 AM
I think it might help to put the kitty in a nice jar or container. Something that makes me happy to open.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 06/09/12 07:52 AM
I sold some scrap metal this week and got some cash. smile I used that to buy myself a few used books and a couple beers at the bar.

So far i like this using of cash for non-living expenses. It's keeping me very aware of expenses. If i don't have the cash on me, I don't buy it. Cool.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 06/23/12 07:44 AM
I forgot this week to use cash at a bar the other night. I actually had more to drink than i should have, as some men bought me some beverages. So then i spent $10 myself and used my debit card. I reserve my card for living expenses at this point.

I felt pretty uncomfortable about this the next day. Using just the cash is really so much more comfortable - i then know exactly what i have allotted for things each month.

Lesson learned.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 08/20/12 11:27 PM
An important note: Last month Wells Fargo Bank charged me almost ten dollars for not using my debit card enough! According to them, I need to make ten POS purchases a month to continue to have free checking.

I'm pretty peeved off about this. I found an excellent solution, I thought, to using only cash when not paying bills. Now I have to make sure I use the card at least ten times, which means I have to keep track and COUNT card purchases online each month, before I can put the card safely away.

I don't even think free checking exists at banks anymore without labyrinthine rules, so it's not like I need to move my account.

The point: be careful if you are going to cash for non essentials - see if your bank requires a certain number of point of sale purchases first.

I could have used that nine dollars on cat food. I am really annoyed.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 02/04/13 12:53 AM
Update at this point: I actually have to remind myself to pull out the debit card and make ten purchases on it each month. It still annoys me that I have to make a conscious effort to do this. I need to check and see if I've done it this month, actually, since it's been a very low-spending month.

It's weird to have to make myself spend money to save money. It turns my whole frugal system on its head, and encourages me to make frivolous expenses.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Use cash for non essentials - 02/04/13 02:52 AM
I think that might be the idea! frown
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 10/02/13 09:49 PM
Agreed, Ian!

I'm still annoyed at Wells Fargo. You'd think they make enough money off of other people's money that they wouldn't resort to this kind of nickle and diming.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 10/21/13 12:09 AM
Some people put money in enveloped at the beginning of each month, and assign each envelope a target: as in groceries, entertainment, housewares, clothing, gas, car expenses. And you only use the cash in the envelope to track your spending each month.

Ever heard of this budgeting tactic?
Jilly, I know what you mean. Like it actually hurts your head.

This might make you feel better though. See, just the title of this thread prompted me to come here...lik no, I get just the opposite feeling.

Keep a frugal spending system, absolutely. BUT! The feeling I have is that the more money you have, needing access to it through some type of card. There's some period of time, be it short or a few weeks, where it feels like yur atm's don't work or go down, but it'll or feels to have something to do w/the internet.

So, it might be healthy to have that cash on hand in one form or another. Just there's something I'm missing, but it'll hit me at some point.

There's a fiscal type reason they WANT you to utilize a digital card for purchases - I just can't see, right now how it goes, but it "feels" like it has to do w/banking and gv merging or something, a kickback, may even go back to a bank that sponsors somehow EBT's? That part's still murky...

But right now it feels like a good idea to put aside a few dollars here and there to access, should there be a glitch of some type or even an event that locks world-wide banks altogether for a few weeks. Could even be the market. Don't really want to know, lol, at this point smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 12/04/13 08:24 PM
Elleise, I think having cash on hand is a smart idea. The problem is where to hide it? smile

I made myself some envelopes today out of nice paper, and used book tape on each one, for a space to mark up with an Expo pen with what the money in that envelope would be allotted for.

I'm excited to see how this system goes. I still do have to use my debit card ten times each month, which is still annoying me.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Use cash for non essentials - 12/04/13 08:27 PM
Elleise, I think having cash on hand is a smart idea. The problem is where to hide it? smile

I made myself some envelopes today out of nice paper, and used book tape on each one, for a space to mark up with an Expo pen with what the money in that envelope would be allotted for.

I'm excited to see how this system goes. I still do have to use my debit card ten times each month, which is still annoying me. Maybe I need to set up a day each month to get those point-of-sale purchases done and over with.

Maybe use them at CVS or Walgreens or something, with my extra bucks and rewards money. I need a system. It would annoy me greatly to incur a ten dollar fee for not using my card enough.
© BellaOnline Forums