BellaOnline
So you have determined that your headaches are migraines and home remedies are not helping. Now what? It sounds like a trip to you doctors office may be a good idea. She can determine if you need any additional tests to rule our other health issues and discuss the possibility of a prescription to help with your migraines. While there are different kinds of drugs prescribed for migraines one of the most commonly recognized is Imitrex.

Imitrex is made by the company Glaxosmithcline and is in the drug classification of Triptans. It is not used for the prevention of migraines it can only be used after a migraine has begun, to treat the pain. Imitrex narrows the blood vessels around the brain that become dilated and when it does this the symptoms of a migraine are alleviated.

There are several options on how to take Imitrex. You can take it in pill form, nasal spray or by injection. I have taken the pill form and find that while it is effective it takes time for the pill to dissolve and get into your system. I have a friend who used the injection and it was much faster. It comes in a prefilled autoinjecter, similar to an epipen. She swore by it and I have watched her do it, and it really is not as dramatic and you may think. There is also a needle free version of this method now. This option can be helpful if you get very nauseous and have trouble keeping the pill down. I do not have any experience with the nasal spray but that seems like a quicker option than the pill as well.

One of the things about Imitrex that I like is that after you take it, if it does not make your migraine go away you can take an supplemental dose. The dosing and additional dosing would depend on you personally and you medical conditions. Your doctor can tell you individually how much and when you can take more but I like that fact that you are not stuck after you take it if it does not completely eliminate the pain.

The dosage of Imitrex will depend on other medical conditions, any other medications you may be taking and your response to the drug. The pill for comes in 25mg 50mg and 100mg tablets. The injections come in 4mg and 6mg injections administered subcutaneously, or just under the skin. The nasal spray comes in 5mg and 20 mg dosages. If your doctor prescribes 10mg then you would simply take two sprays of the 5mg.

I personally have had success with Imitrex and have a friend that has as well. That does not mean that it is the right fit for everyone. Talk to your doctor and she can help you figure out what is right for you.
I tried Imitrex for a while when I was in my 20's for my bad migraines. I had the pill form and it did work for the most part. It seemed to numb the pain but I was aware that the migraine still existed.

I had to stop taking Imitrex because my blood pressure was very elevated. I went on blood pressure medication and that helped the severity of my migraines. I've been on blood pressure medication for 20 years. Now I get migraines infrequently, and they are managed by some ibuprofen and caffeine, something I don't need a prescription for.
© BellaOnline Forums