BellaOnline
Posted By: Linda - Painful Intercourse - 12/18/09 12:27 PM
This is a topic that might be difficult to discuss. The helpfulness and sensitivity I have read on this forum regarding other issues leads me to believe that this is a great place to discuss this one.

All the best.

Linda Gynecology
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Painful Intercourse - 12/18/09 11:04 PM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I was wondering what my options are for thinning vaginal walls (and thus, painful intercourse) as I age. A doctor recommended hormone therapy but I don't want to go down that road.

Aside from lubricants, are there any other therapies I can try?

Chi
Posted By: Linda - Re: Painful Intercourse - 12/19/09 10:59 PM
Hi Chi

I am just post-menopausal now and was having problems with painful intercourse due to thinning vaginal walls, low lubrication etc. Welcome to the golden years! Anyway, my doctor put me on Vagifem which is a really, really low dose of estrogen that is a tiny pill inserted into the [censored]. It is very safe and has none of the side-effects and dangers associated with hormone replacement therapy. It is usually recommended that it be inserted daily for the first couple of weeks and then a couple of times a week after that. I can attest to the fact that it works very well. I also recommend using lots of lubrication such as KY-Jelly even with the Vagifem. It reduces the chance of pain and irritation caused by friction. Hope this helps.
Posted By: LibrianFriend Re: Painful Intercourse - 05/19/10 07:30 AM
This happened me at the early months of marriage. Use of lubricants worked at the intercourse but brought swelling after it. After trying 2 docs, my problem solved by the hormones treatment.
Posted By: Jahnavi Re: Painful Intercourse - 07/21/10 08:15 AM
Symptoms of pain related to intercourse can occur when entry is attempted or during or immediately following sexual intercourse.The most common symptom is pain on entry.The second most common symptom is deep pain.Other symptoms include feelings of muscle spasms, cramps, or muscle tightness.Pain during intercourse may be described as primary or secondary, as complete or situational, and as superficial-entrance or deep thrust types.Primary pain with intercourse is pain that has existed for the woman's entire sexual lifetime.Secondary pain develops after a symptom-free period of time.Complete pain means the woman experiences pain in all situations of intercourse. Situational pain occurs with a particular partner or a certain type of stimulation.Superficial-entrance pain is noticeable at penetration.Deep thrust pain is located at the cervix or in the lower abdominal area and is noticeable during or after penetration.A woman may perceive pain during intercourse even without any physical cause. Sexual pain without an apparent physical cause may be a mental health issue.
Posted By: rosetea Re: Painful Intercourse - 08/21/10 01:23 AM
Hi, I have pain during intercourse and it's because of endometriosis. It's the deep pain and the symptoms only go away when I'm on birth control. It's awful and makes intercourse incredibly uncomfortable and unbearable. I'm sure other people have this problem, but it feels like I'm the only one! =[
Posted By: SheilaMcHughes Re: Painful Intercourse - 10/28/10 02:09 AM
Rosetea

How are you doing? I know how it can be so overwhelming "feeling alone" where endometriosis is concerned...you are not alone. Please write with any concerns or if I help you in any way. Visit our web sites for lots of info.

God Bless,

Sheila
© BellaOnline Forums