BellaOnline
The sweet course in Mexico is known as �postre� or pudding and is normally a very unknown quantity as desserts are not the stars of the Mexican gastronomic firmament. Sometimes however a Mexican version of a British nursery favourite will make an appearance: arroz con leche or rice with milk. It is lightly spiced, with a hint of citrus, less creamy than many versions and very moreish.

Sweet Mexico - Mexican Rice Pudding Recipe
Hola Isabel,

Your recipe for Arroz Con Leche sounds delicious, but it is much more refined than what typically appears in our part of Mexico. Like you said, instead of risotto rice here "arroz super extra grano largo"/long-grained rice is typically used and instead of double and heavy cream the dairy of choice is condensed sweet milk (the sweet condensed milk also being used in such postres as pastel de tres leches, sweetened fresh corn bread and a variety of gelatins).
I know just the type of rice pudding you mean, Les, very sweet and sickly, and also much lighter than my version - I do have to say however that I really do like some cream in my arroz con leche, as it gives it a fabulous rich texture.

Feliz Navidad!
Really Arroz Con Leche is very delicious. And it is cheaper than other food. That's why most of the time I take it with my Mexican traditional food.

NOTE: new users are not allowed to add links/urls to their posts!
That's excellent, Jamal, I am glad it is one of your favourite dishes.
© BellaOnline Forums