What's Your Funny Cooking Story?

Posted by: Adoption Editor

What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/13/07 10:52 AM

Hello everyone!

I'll be posting topics of the day from time to time. Please join in the discussion! Also, please don't hesitate to post your own threads for cooking questions, problems, recipes, etc.

Ok, so here is my funny cooking story:

I worked at my brother and sister-in-law�s restaurant in high school.

One of my first cooking assignments was to make a banana split.

I was so excited, and wanted to make the most perfect banana split the customer had ever seen!

I carefully measured the ingredients, made sure the toppings were carefully placed over the ice cream, added 3 beautiful swirls of whip cream, and then sprinkled the exact amount of nuts over each swirl.

I eagerly showed my brother-in-law what I thought had to be the most impressive banana split he�d ever seen.

This puzzled look came over his face, and then it spread to a wide grin. Followed by roars of laughter, so much he had tears coming down his cheeks.

After he finally caught his breath, he said, �Brandii, where�s the banana?�

Yes, that�s right, I forgot the banana!

All was not lost, however, as he took the banana, and expertly slid it under the toppings without disturbing a single ingredient!

The customer even said it was the best banana split he�d ever had. If he only knew it was almost a banana-less split!

What�s your funny cooking story, or one involving your kids?

Posted by: BoomerGal

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/15/07 03:31 PM

One time when I was watching my 3 nieces and nephews, plus my own two kids, I got flustered making lunch and caught a pot holder on fire! The kids had been making lots of noise and suddenly it was totally quiet as they watched me put out the flames.

It wasn't too funny at the time but they all talk about the time Aunt Stacy set the kitchen on fire.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/16/07 10:39 AM

Hi Stacy!

Thank you so much for posting that story! I can see how that is one of those �funny now but not then� stories!

Did you guys see the Oprah episode with Paul Deen?

Paula was making a pound cake, and dropped the bottle of Vanilla into the mixer as it was going!

I am trying to find a clip to show everyone, and once I do a will put a link on the forum. It was hilarious (and no one got hurt thank goodness).

Come on everyone else�I know you all have some interesting cooking stories out there either of you or your kids! It can�t be any worse than leaving a banana out of a banana split, now can it? smile

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/18/07 10:11 AM

Hi everyone!

I just posted a new recipe on the Cooking For Kids site called No Bake Orange Balls. As I was working on it, a funny story came to mind:

In the recipe, I talk about how my grandmother rolled perfect 1 inch balls to be coated with powdered sugar. When I say 1 inch balls, I mean the balls were exactly one inch, every single one of them!

Not � an inch, not 1 � inches�1 inch. Period!

So as I expanded on that recipe, I created all different sizes of balls, which then led to my idea of creating "orange ball snowmen coated with powdered sugar."

Well, my grandmother has not seen my different take on her recipe (which I think makes it more kid friendly) but I'm sure she'd think it was a HUGE cooking mishap!

Good thing she doesn�t have Internet access! wink

Click here to read the No Bake Orange Recipe:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted by: TriniDana

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/18/07 08:19 PM

last week, i bought a chicken and put it in the to cook. we did the math and the chicken had to bake in foil for 1 hour, then take foil off for last 20-25 mins.

so i put the chicken in at 4pm, and went back at 5pm to remove foil. to my absolute horror!!!! i forgot to switch the cooker on!!! i stood there and shouted "I dont believe this!!!" my husband came in and asked whet was wrong, i told him, and removed the foil to show him.

his reply was "no, that isnt cooked, is it?"

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/19/07 02:23 PM

Hi TriniDana!

That is sooo funny!! I have done that so many times, and now we just laugh and order pizza whenever it happens. grin

Thank you for posting--I am so happy to know I'm not the only one who has funny cooking mishaps!

My nieces call them "learning opportunities"... smile

Hope you are having a great day!

Posted by: ChelleT&L

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/22/07 09:55 AM

OK - I just did this one this morning.

For a little background, my mom is a caterer, and I have been cooking since I was 12. I have been baking and decorating cakes since I was 15. I should know what to do when it comes to making a cake. crazy

My kids had requested that I make a Milky Way cake because I had made one for the school fair, and they really wanted to try it. So I'm working this morning on it, have my batter all done, and am greasing my pan. Then I pop it in the oven and all's good.

Until the cake is done. I let it rest in the pan for a few minutes so it will contract from the sides and be easier to turn out. Then I turn it out onto my cooling rack - or I try to. It's stuck. I try letting it rest upside down for a few minutes, no good. I shake it, thump it, jiggle it up and down - this cake is not coming out. And I can't figure out why, since I've never had a problem in the past.

Then it hits me - I greased my pan, but I never floured the darn thing. So instead of just slipping against it - the rather thick batter just cooked right into the shortening in the pan, making a perfect seal.

I finally resorted to taking a knife and running it around the edges (of a bundt cake pan with all of its ridges). Took me forever, and it came out in 3 pieces. But I don't have enough stuff to make another one - so I just stuck it back together, and will pour tons of icing over the top.

blush

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/23/07 03:30 PM

Hi Bella Harmony!

Ok, now you have me wanting a Milky Wake Cake�YUM!!

How did it turn out? I�m sure it was delicious.

I too have another funny cooking story from Thanksgiving (and I know there are other stories to be told, so keep them coming)!

My husband and I have been married nine years. Every year, I make stuffing that comes out of the bag (Pepperidge Farm). I add some chicken broth, a little butter, and maybe some onions and celery. Simple, yet delicious.

We talked to my mother-in-law on the phone Thanksgiving morning.

She said that she tried a new stuffing recipe out this year, and it was one that came out of box where you just add water (or chicken broth). I told her I�d always used that type of recipe, and it was one of our favorites.

So then she tells me that it used to take hours to prepare the stuffing before it was ready. She said that after using this new recipe, she�d never go back to the �old way� because this was so much simpler. And, she told me not to worry because our way tasted just as good as the old way.

After we hung up, I told my husband that I didn�t realize he had this elaborate (and wonderful sounding) stuffing growing up, and we could always get the recipe if he missed it from his childhood. Or better yet, beg his Mom to make it for us. blush

He died laughing, and said, they had used the same type of Pepperidge Farm stuffing that we do now. However, the only difference this year was that his mom had used the �box� of stuffing instead of the �bag� of stuffing. And, she left out the chestnuts, which took quite a few hours to prepare. Other than that, it was the same!

I guess I misunderstood, and was picturing this ten step recipe, but was relieved to find out it was close to our recipe (despite the box/bag aspect of it).

However, if it was a ten step recipe, I was serious about begging, as my mother-in-law if is a fabulous cook! smile

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/25/07 10:29 AM

Ok, I like to call this cooking story:

Not all Microwave Popcorn Buttons are Created Equal!

When my husband and I were dating, we thought we�d pop some popcorn, and watch a movie.

Here�s a play by play account of what happened:

Husband: Why don�t you start it out at around 2 minutes?

Me: Silly you, that�s what the popcorn button is for!

Husband: I really think we should just start it out for a minute or two, and then increase if needed.

Me: Why do all that when you can hit the nice little popcorn button?

Husband: Sigh�

Three minutes later, my apartment filled with smoke so fast, but luckily no fire. shocked

We quickly got the bag out of the microwave, and opened up all of the windows (in the middle of a 32 degree winter day).

My husband was nice enough to rub it in too much, thought he did get a new bag of popcorn and read, word for word from the back of the bag: �Do Not Use Popcorn Button on Microwave��

I'll have a new topic of the week coming up soon--feel free to keep adding to this one! We can all use a laugh now and then, right? laugh

Also, feel free to start your own thread anytime! smile

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/25/07 02:42 PM

My 1st husband did something similar to that.

Back when I was pregant with my (now 10 yr old) daughter, I worked in surgery, which meant I had to pull call every now and then. And so one weekend we had a very bad car crash come in, 3 surgeries, and were up all night. So I came home and got to go to sleep at about 10 AM.

Well, the Braves were playing that day, and my ex is a huge fan. He decided to make some lunch while the game was on. He turned on a pan of oil to make french fries. Unfortunately, the game got to be very tight, and he forgot about the oil on the stove. Even more unfortunately, the stove was gas, not electrical.

Next thing I know - I'm being woken out of a deep sleep by, "get out, get out! The house is on fire!" The oils had splattered over the pan, onto the flame, and had soared all the way up the cabinets.

We did not have a fire extinguisher (although we did the next day!) But we had 2 cats, so I ran and grabbed the bag of kitty litter and threw it on the flames. Luckily it worked. It was a horrible mess to clean up though.

Like I said, my mom is a caterer, so kitchen fires tended not to panic me as much as him, but if that litter hadn't worked, we'd have been in big trouble!
Posted by: Carol- Today In History

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/28/07 10:29 AM

Wow, I love the kithchen fire story. You were lucky you knew about (and had) kitty litter.

I guess we've all set something on fire. I left my barbeque unattended a bit too long, and before you knew it the smoke and flames were smoking up the backyard. I was afraid that the fire department would show up, and living in a small town it would be someone that I know. How embarrassing! The good news is: fire extinguishers really do work! I was able to put the fire out before anyone came.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 12/13/07 08:33 AM

Hi everyone!

Why is it that anytime I use plastic wrap, it ends up looking like a huge ball of plastic that went through a tornado?

I'll be posting pictures soon on the Cooking For Kids site, and I will add a picture of my next "plastic wrap" disaster! laugh

Posted by: Deena - Paranormal Editor

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/02/08 02:46 PM

Hi Everyone! My first thanksgiving many years ago I had to call my mom because I didn't know where that giblet bag was inside the turkey!

Another Thanksgiving Story. I worked really hard making all our traditional dishes, and trying to make sure that everything came together time wise. Toward the end, things were getting a bit hectic in my kitchen. I took my Kentucky Corn Bake Casserole out of the oven and set it on the stove for a second (it was in a glass dish! Well, somehow I didn't realize that I didn't have the burner turned off on the stove. When I noticed that, I grabbed the casserole dish off the burner, and it exploded, and glass went all over all the dishes of my Thanksgiving dinner! I just started crying!
Posted by: Julie-Cleaning

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/02/08 02:51 PM

Not long ago I reviewed a new cookbook for diabetics on my diabetes blog. Feeling perky, I decided to try the cake recipe from the press release.

It turned out to be gorgeous. Beautiful golden brown, fluffy, and just perfect looking. Proud of how it turned out, I cut a slice for everyone, presented it and told them to dig in.

The look on everyone's face was priceless. They had no idea what to say, because they're not used to such disasters...you see, the cake tasted like a big, fluffy bar of soap.

During mixing, I found I had run out of baking powder, so I increased the baking soda, even though I know better. Never again! I shared the story with my readers and I still turn green thinking about the taste.

It was fun to watch my family try to figure out how to tell me it was gross, though.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/05/08 09:41 AM

Deena--Yikes!! What a cooking story that was�and on Thanksgiving of all times! On a lighter note, the Kentucky Corn Bake Casserole sounds delicious. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Julie�lol, I�ve done that same thing with the baking soda and baking powder!

I�m just happy others have made mistakes like I have�when I first started this thread I was really worried I�d be the only one posting on it, lol!

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/05/08 09:54 AM

OK - this is not my story, I have stolen it from "Top Chef". Not just one season, but TWO!

In two separate season of top chef, the chefs have substituted salt for sugar in their recipes - blech! sick

One of them freaked out (Miguel from season 1), but the other (CJ from season 3) had a really good sense of humor about the whole thing..

Those 2 ingredients look and feel exactly the same (unless you use kosher salt and raw sugar) - so the only way to tell the difference is to taste them. But who does that when you're in a rush?

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/05/08 10:38 AM

lol, I had that happen once with a gallon tea. Yuck, yuck. I was a teen when that happened but still get teased.
Posted by: Deena - Paranormal Editor

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/08/08 05:46 PM

Brandii, I am happy to share the recipe for Kentucky Corn Bake Casserole. My mom brought me a little cookbook from one of her camping trips. It is called Kentucky Classic Country Recipes by Pearlie B. Scott. I make it often, especially for family dinners. Everyone loves it!

Kentucky Corn Bake

2 16 oz cans cream corn (I use 1 cream and 1 regular)
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal (I use a box of Jiffy cornbread mix)
1 tsp garlic salt
6 TB salad oil (I only use about 4)
1 can chopped green chilies
2 cups grated cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Beat together everything but chilies and cheese. Pour half the mixture into greased 1 3/4 quart casserole dish. Mix cheese and chilies and layer in casserole. Carefully pour on rest of corn mixture. Cook about 35 minutes.

I usually just mix it all together and sprinkle some extra cheese on top!

Let me know how you like it!

Deena

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/08/08 06:34 PM

Deena, that is pretty cool, I have a Southern Favorites by Pearlie B. Scott. She was pretty prolific! It didn't have this recipe in it, thanks for sharing, YUM :-)

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/08/08 08:42 PM

Deena,

Thank you bunches!! I can't wait to try this recipe this weekend! It sounds delicious! smile

Thank you again!
Posted by: Vi - Blogs/Small Office

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/08/08 09:31 PM

It was Easter and I was enjoying over-doing it by doing what I like to do when I have some time cook. I had a pan ready on the stove, and my back was to it while I chopped some veggies on the other counter to saute.

I was literally reflecting on how enjoyable and relaxing it was to have a quiet moment and do something nice for the family. the perfect Easter. Then there was a flash of light from behind me like a sign from heaven, I turned and the pan that had a little bit of oil had caught afire because the knob was a smidgen on. Just a smidgen.

So much for my meditation...everybody meets a burning bush in his or her lifetime.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/19/08 11:49 AM

Hi Violette--isn't it funny how those moments tend to happen when you are thinking how great things are going?

I'm glad you didn't get hurt (did you??)

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 09/10/08 08:58 PM

Ok, I�m telling on myself (again, lol) for this thread!

A few days ago, I gave my good friend a hard time (in a joking way) about forgetting to turn her oven on after placing a casserole inside�

Yesterday, I forgot to turn my crock pot on after placing a �test� recipe for the Cooking for Kids site inside!

Luckily, I remembered it in time to save the recipe, and I allowed my friend to give me a hard time back in return.

�And YOU should know better, since you WRITE about cooking,� she said, as she laughed. And laughed.

And laughed some more.

Don�t be afraid to share your funny cooking stories along with the rest of us, and feel free to laugh, and laugh�just as my friend is doing right now!

laugh

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 09/12/08 07:49 PM

My turn again. blush

I have fun with recipes - I love trying all sorts of gourmet techniques, and I can pretty much do anything I try.

Tonight I'm tired and not really feeling like cooking, so my husband just picked up some frozen pizzas from the store.
The kids' pizza is supposed to cook at 450 for 11-12 minutes and our pizza at 400 for 12-13 minutes.

I just stood in the kitchen looking at these frozen pizzas and trying to figure out how to cook so we can all eat together. I finally gave up and left the pizza preparation to my husband.

I made a homemade Reeses Peanut Butter cheesecake for my son's b'day - because that's what he said he wanted - and I can't cook frozen pizzas. crazy

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/08/08 11:51 AM

Hi Michelle!

Now you know, you can't post something like "homemade Reeses Peanut Butter cheesecake" without posting the recipe! That's just cruel, lol!

I remember reading your post a few weeks ago, but somehow I missed "homeade Reeses Peanut Butter cheesecake"--probably the same day I forgot to turn on the slow cooker. blush

So, how about that recipe? smile

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/08/08 07:28 PM

I got the recipe from the Kraft Philadelphia recipe site.

Here's the link:
Oreo-Peanut Butter Cheesecake

The only thing I did different was I didn't mix any Oreos into the filling. Instead I took miniature Reeses and cut them in half (I think about 20-25 of the mini Reeses) and mixed those into the filling.

The only thing that went wrong was that I didn't let the cheesecake cool down enough before I put the candles in -and they melted!!! shocked blush grin

We had to pick little pieces of wax out of the cheesecake, LOL!

Other than that it was really good and really, REALLY rich. You can only eat a very small piece of it or get sick.
Posted by: Phyllis Doyle Burns

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/08/08 08:24 PM

I used to bake a lot when my kids were little and apple pie was our most favorite dessert. One of the books my kids loved for me to read to them was Peter Cottontale. They loved the pictures in the Beatrice Potter books. (I am getting there, hold on). Anyway, they wanted me to make an apple pie like the picture in the book - you know - the picture of this beautiful apple pie about 8 or 9 inches high and fluted so pretty around the edges? Well, I made the pie and piled in the apples, into a nice high little mountain. I put the top crust on, gently patted in down so bumps from the apples would show - it was beautiful and it came out of the oven beautiful.

However - after dinner when I brought the masterpiece to the table, my kids and husband's eyes bugged out, it was so pretty and so Beatrice Potter looking.

I cut into the pie and the apples had shrunk and sank down to about only 2" high, but the crust had stayed up and mounded!

I was so embarrassed, but after 30 years or so, we still laugh about my Beatrice Potter pie!

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/10/08 09:47 PM

Hi Phyllis! Your pie sounds delicious!

I've had the same thing happen with the apples and crust, more often than not. It still turned out good in the end! wink

I have a fall cake recipe coming up on Cooking for Kids. I'm testing it out tomorrow, and I hope it turns out well. If not, I'll be back here with another funny cooking story! grin

Are you making any apple pies or other treats this fall?

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/11/08 10:30 AM

The best way to prevent this collapse of filling and mounding of crust is to make sure you have "vents" cut into the crust before you bake it. This allows the steam to excape instead of building up under the crust and puffing it up.

Of course, you still don't have a monster mounded apple pie, but at least the expectation is not there!

And always put in about twice as much filling as you want in the end - because that's what you'll wind up with in the end due to moisture loss.
Posted by: poisonivy

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/26/08 12:45 AM

This was not a mishap, but still very funny. While preparing the turkey at work for the employee dinner, one middle aged lady had never cooked a turkey. Another worker prepared the bird, and while doing so, put a cornish hen inside the turkey. When the inexperienced cook checked the bird later as it cooked, she stated that the turkey had a baby turkey inside. She was very excited and even took pictures. We had so much fun with this, especially when she said she always thought turkeys laid eggs, and did not know that they carried their babies. I do not remember if we ever told her any different. By the way, the cornish hen helped to make a richer broth. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/28/08 11:10 AM

Huh, I received a copy of this same story about 2 years ago in an e-mail from a friend. It was one of those friend of a friend of a friend e-mails. Which I pretty much took to meant it was a joke and never really happened. Especially as the tag line read "Yes, she was blonde".

Back to the funny stories though...

This past week I've been pretty sick, so making a lot of soups and "comfort food" type stuff.

I decided to make Chicken and Dumplings one day - and I always put my chicken in the crockpot for a full day to get the best stock. At the same time our Thanksgiving turkey was not thawing fast enough so I did the water bath method to thaw it.

My 11 yr old daughter walked in and saw the turkey in the sink and goes "what's that?" I told her "that's the turkey",
she goes "For Thanksgiving?"
"Yes"
"but I thought you were already cooking it"
and I was completely lost, I didn't know what she was talking about. Then she goes -
"in the crockpot"
And I just cracked up. She thought our little 4 lb hen in the crockpot was the same thing as the 20 lb turkey! And she has grown up around caterers and chefs. laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/29/08 07:08 PM

My funny cooking story...

The very first time I tried to make pancakes, I was just a kid and I'd had no experience cooking. I used a boxed mix.

The package instructions said to mix the ingredients...so that's what I did.

The package said to heat the frying pan...so that's what I did.

The package said to pour the batter into the pan...so that's what I did. All of it. At once.

As I stirred it around, waiting for it to form into pancakes, I eventually accepted that I'd produced breakfast food, all right. Tender and moist scrambled pancakes.

They didn't taste that bad, considering...

laugh

Karen
Nerd Writer Mom
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted by: Robin - Fragrance Editor

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 11/29/08 08:26 PM

Well - my "child" had 4 legs. He was a Shetland Sheepdog.

My late husband was almost a full gourmet cook. I was not, although I loved to make stuff and it wasn't bad - I was just messy.

One day, after a few years, I happened to notice that when Bill was in the kitchen cooking - McTavish was never around his feet or anything. When I cooked - McTavish always came in the kitchen. I felt kinda proud.

Then I realized something - I dropped food and Bill didn't - no wonder the dog was in the kitchen.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 01/31/09 02:20 PM

Battle of the Mixer, Part One:

Today, I was getting ready to mix some ingredients for a recipe that I'm testing out for a future article (think Valentine's Cookies--yum) smile

I had laid out my ingredients and had my bowl and hand held mixer ready to go, lying beside the mixing bowl.

I plugged in the mixer, and then...

VRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Little did I know, the mixer was turned to "on" and it was spinning like crazy on my counter, lol! I must have jumped a foot in the air.

Once my heart rate returned to normal, I had two thoughts:

1. Always make sure your mixer is OFF before plugging it in.

2. If it's not, and you do what I just did, come on over to this thread and tell us about it, lol!

grin

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/01/09 02:27 PM

Battle with the Mixer, Part Two:

Well, you can read my post above to see how this battle with my mixer started, lol!

Today, I was mixing another round of dough. Somehow, the fork in my left hand became intertwined with the mixer in my right hand, while it was blending the ingredients. eek

It made such a loud noise that my dog ran to the other side of the house! In about two seconds, dough went all over the kitchen�on my counter, my cabinet, and myself.

After I unplugged the mixer, all I could do was just laugh! laugh

The good news? I still had plenty of dough to complete my Valentine�s Day recipe, which will appear on the Cooking for Kids site shortly�right after I mix the ingredients for the icing.

Well, by hand, that is, since my mixer seems to have won this battle. grin

To be continued�
Posted by: three spices

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/01/09 03:47 PM

I was 23 years old (now 50) back one week from my honeymoon and had friends over for dinner.

I had never made a pie, and was trilled when I took my apple pie out of the oven and it looked so beautiful. I took it into the livingroom to show everyone and tilted it only slightly to show them the beautiful top and the entire inside of the pie slide out and fell onto the carpet.

I was speachless and then completely doubled over in laughter!

Took years to live it down.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/02/09 10:52 AM

Three Spices, that is such a funny story! Thank you for sharing!

The other night, I had several peeled hard boiled eggs on my plate, and as I sat down to eat, two of them flew off the plate, kinda like your pie! My dog moved faster than I even knew he could move, and in two seconds they were gone, lol.

Thank you again for sharing! smile
Posted by: flutterby378

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/04/09 11:43 AM

Oh, where to begin! When I was a young child, I wanted to cook candied apples so much. I talked my mother into letting me do it but she did not supervise due to her depression.

Anyway, I stirred the pot with one hand while I read the recipe that was in my other hand. My stirring hand was getting warmer and when I looked up, I noticed that my hand was lowering into the pot. I raised my hand only to see the spoon was half gone! Turned out that the plastic mixing spoon I was using was melting into the boiling sugar syrup mixture! I was too young to realize that candy syrup got that hot! Of course I had to throw away the entire batch and start over.

Another story, again when I was young (about 10-12 or so), I painstakingly peeled apples to make apple butter. I read about it in a storybook and it sounded so homey! The mixture simmered and turned brown from the cinnamon spices. It smelled divine. But I'd never seen apple butter and assumed that it was the color of peeled apples and butter. My heart fell as I thought I'd burned it. I poured a wonderful batch of apple butter down the drain! One day, I saw apple butter and conked my head.

And yet another: My first attempt at biscuits when I was 8 resulted in some tough discs. I was proud but then my mother coaxed my little sister into eating one and her loose tooth fell out. I never lived that one down.

And from my adult years: Growing up in a Japanese household, I always cooked the rice. But living in a contemporary world with electricity, we always used an electric rice cooker. Well, one day at a friend's party, I was asked to cook some rice to go with dinner. There wasn't an electric cooker and I didn't know how to use the stovetop to make rice but I proceeded using the long grain variety that was available but very different from the Japanese short grain. The result was sticky, soupy rice. Everyone thought it was hilarious that I couldn't cook rice. Today that would sound so racist! Anyway, to make it worse, there was a Minute Rice commercial going around that talked about how everything at the meal was perfect...except the rice.

This isn't a cooking story but close: My little nephew and my little boy were playing at the table, shooting peas across the table at each other and, after several reprimands, they continued. I got annoyed and told them to STOP as I shoveled a forkful of fish into my mouth. They stopped and stared at me wide-eyed and then kept eating silently, just watching me chew. I thought to myself, "Wow, that never worked so well before." Turned out that it wasn't my "STOP" that made them stop but the fact that they were shooting a fish's eyeball back and forth and it landed right onto my fork which I had stuffed into my mouth. They were aghast that I was chewing a fish eye. I don't like fish eyes. When they finally told me, we all couldn't resist laughing until we cried.

Finally: This is from a Zen master who told the story of how he found his cat curled up, warming himself, on a stack of his freshly made pancakes on the table. I can't recall the Zen lesson here because the image of the cat on the pancakes was too funny.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/04/09 06:04 PM

Sorry, I know I tend to be long winded here. frown

But I have a ton of examples of cooking mishaps because I'm such ditz. Here's one more:

After simmering a beautiful stock all day long, I drained the bones, vegetables and herbs into a colandar. Only, I forgot to put a pot to catch the broth underneath so I drained my savory stock down the drain while keeping the spent bones and veggies.

*sigh*

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/07/09 10:19 AM

Hi Lori! Your stories were so funny! Thank you so much for sharing, and don't ever worry about being long winded here!

I am just so relieved that everyone has shared their funny cooking stories. When I first started this thread, I was REALLY worried I'd be the only one with stories to add to it, lol!

Your story about the plastic spoon made me think about my pink, "Easy Bake" oven I had as a child. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I think my friend and I left one of the utensils inside the oven, resulting in a severely melted utensil and broke oven. And, the smell of burnt plastic lingered for days. eek

Thanks again for sharing your stories! smile

Come on back if you have any other stories to share (the fish eyeball one still has me laughing so hard) laugh

I'm sure I'll have a few more of my own to add anytime now!

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/07/09 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Lori-Marriage
After simmering a beautiful stock all day long, I drained the bones, vegetables and herbs into a colandar. Only, I forgot to put a pot to catch the broth underneath so I drained my savory stock down the drain while keeping the spent bones and veggies.

This was my favorite, because I would do something like this if I were distracted or especially if I had one of my bad insomnia nights.

This isn't a cooking story, but I thought y'all might get a kick out of it anyway.
We've been trying to get our youngest son (6) to leave the room when I change clothes and understand he can't just bust in on me in the bathroom or shower anymore because he's growing up and boys and girls shouldn't see each other naked.

Well, the other day I needed to change so I said, "Seth, I need to change." and hubby goes, "Ok, out Seth"

Seth responds with, "Yeah, because I can't see you naked, that's disgusting."

I was torn between laughing to death and not sure whether I should be insulted or not.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/09/09 09:13 PM

My favorite childhood toy was my EasyBake Oven! I played with it every day and would serve the cakes on my miniature china tea set. It brings back such loving memories of my grandpa who would patiently wait to be served a spongy, pasty "cake" and a drip of juice from the tiny teapot!

My mom scolded him for indulging me like that, telling him not to eat those "awful" things. But he winked at me, ate with exaggerated relish, and left me a penny or two on the table. I love and miss that man! smile

His smiles and appreciation made me fall in love with cooking. I still enjoy seeing the expressions on people's faces when they eat good food (I've gotten much better at cooking, BTW! LOL!)
Posted by: three spices

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 03/14/09 09:23 AM

Hi Lori:

Your stories are so funny, I bet you have more.
You should write a book. I would buy it !!

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 03/14/09 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: three spices
Hi Lori:

Your stories are so funny, I bet you have more.
You should write a book. I would buy it !!

I agree, three spices, Lori's got some great stories! This has been such a fun thread. smile

By the way, I love your display name "Three Spices"...now I have to ask--what are your favorite three spices? smile
Posted by: rdywenur

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 03/14/09 05:43 PM

Lori when your on a roll let it rip (pun intended)

I have a story not about me but my friend. My BFF's brother came home to have some surgery done and then to recuperate. He was a chef and so decided to cook a chicken one day for dinner and made coc au vin using his mom's favorite clay pot to cook it in. While sitting around the table at dinner his mom commented this is fantastic how did you make this. To which he replied...1st you "crack the pot" blah blah blah. All of a sudden his mom registered with the crack the pot to which she screamed out...Noooooooooo, Allan you didn't??? Yup he broke her favorite clay pot.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 03/16/09 12:22 PM

LOL. Thanks for the encouragement, all. smile

There is a saying, "Truth is stranger than fiction."

BTW, that would be a great thread to start: What are your favorite three spices?

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 05/08/09 11:06 AM

The other night I was in the process of cooking a great dinner, and trying to clean up as I went along.

I was spraying the cleaner on the counters, and wiping up everything. Spray, wipe, spray, wipe...I was on a roll.

Until...

I sprayed the bowl of lettuce that was patiently waiting for dressing and cucumbers.

Thankfully, the chicken casserole was in the oven, out of my spraying range.

Nothing like having salad with a side of 409. blush

Needless to say, we skipped the salad that evening.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 09/19/09 10:21 PM

What are some funny mix ups you've done--salt for sugar, sugar for salt, self rising flour for all purpose, etc.?

I think I make more mistakes when I'm in a huge hurry.

Also, I do like the idea of setting out neat little bowls of ingredients. However, if you forget which is which (such as above in this post) well, then you'll probably end up right here on this thread! grin

We welcome you with open arms and lots of laughs! smile

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/04/09 10:33 PM

I�ve posted about this before, but I have to add it again-
How is that my dog always seems to know if what I�m cooking will turn out great, or is not worth even trying?

Some days, I can cook dishes that astonish myself, lol! On those days, the dog is always right there, eagerly wagging his tail and hoping for a bite.

However, on the days when I�m thinking the meal may not turn out as great as I thought, he seems to know it�and avoids the kitchen at all costs.

Anyone else have a dog that �knows� how the meal will turn out? grin
Posted by: friendlygirl4u

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/08/09 06:43 PM

My daughter forgot to add flour to her cake recipe and didn't add ginger to her gingerbread.

My cousin made us "Surprise Turkey Casserole" and forgot to put in the turkey. Surprise!

Brandii, that is so funny about your dog! Our dog knows when I clean out the refrigerator leftovers, he comes running.

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/11/09 02:17 PM

Friendlygirl, those are funny stories! I can relate to forgetting to add a main ingredient (see my first post on this thread about forgetting to add the banana to the banana spilt). blush
Posted by: friendlygirl4u

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/11/09 10:07 PM

LOL! In your case, that banana did split!
Posted by: mary-tea1

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 10/11/09 10:12 PM

Oh my gosh Brandii great thread not only are the stories so funny, we can totally all relate!

You were all cracking me up!And the none of you are alone in this!

Here's just a quick one: we had just moved into our new house (some 5.5 years ago) and we got high-end appliances(finally, I'm going to be a gourmet cook) but I think you have to know how to cook, the appliances don't do it for you!!

well even our micro was high-end (very powerful compared to my old one)we were still hopping around boxes everywhere, we did steaks on the grill-but thought lets do baked potato to make dinner even easier we'll do them in the micro. I cleaned the potatoes, poked holes in them and tossed them in for the time that I normally did! I went into the other room to continue to unpack boxes-my children were screaming fire! fire! We all came running to the kitchen- there was a fire in my micro! OMG! I tapped open the button to see three out of 5 potatoes on fire!
with my fireplace gloves I grabbed each one and threww them in the backyard! Screaming all the way out the door! black soot everywhere! I knew then I had to read the owners manual!We laugh about it today, and glad everything wound up being cleanable, and micro still runs like a charm-but high end appliances have way more power and I should've read the manual!
Those were some(over) baked potatoes!

Mary Caliendo

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 12/07/09 10:44 AM

Wow--Mary, I'm so happy that no one was hurt!

Now that I know everyone was ok, I'm laughing at you running out of the house carrying a burning potato with your fireplace gloves. That was super quick thinking to grab the gloves!

Thanks for sharing! smile

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 12/14/09 10:19 PM

Sometimes I think the more funny cooking stories I post about myself, the faster they'll be on a search for a new Cooking for Kids editor. eek

I guess it's too late now, so here's yet another one:

Tonight, I removed the salad dressing from the fridge. It's the glass one that comes with the good seasons packet, and it has a black lid. I love this type of container, as it holds dressings really well, and for a long time.

That is, IF you have the lid on tightly.

I picked up the container, shook it a few times when POP--off came the lid...

Luckily, it made more noise than mess, and once I realized there wasn't a huge mess, I just had to laugh. wink

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 03/16/10 12:31 PM

We had not used our grill in a while, and decided it was time to give it a spring cleaning.

The grill is over ten years old, but is still going strong (or so we thought).

I scrubbed and scrubbed the grates, and cleaned it inside and out. I purchased a new tank, hauled it from the car, and hooked it up to the grill.

I even had my recipes laid out on the counter, with the ingredients in the fridge. Proud of myself for being so "organized" lol.

Then it came time to light the grill. And the grill did not light. In fairness to Mr. Grill, it tried...but it was done.

Moral of the story--make sure your old grill is working before spending an afternoon cleaning it inside and out. smile

We did look into getting it replaced, but all of the warranties on the parts had expired.

On a happy note--we have a new grill!

I can't wait to share some recipes with you on the Cooking for Kids site. Grilling out is so relaxing at the end of a crazy day. The kids get to run around outside while burning off energy, and everyone gets a breath of fresh air. smile

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 03/25/10 02:51 PM

This morning, I made egg whites to go on top of a multi-grain English muffin.

I scooped up the cooked egg whites, and going to slide them on the English muffin---until they slid off the spatula onto the stove. blush
Posted by: CynK

Re: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 08/22/10 05:39 AM

Hi, I make home made dog food for my dog. He is not actually a pampered pet - I just find it makes him 'trump' less (that is our family name - I'm sure you know what I mean!!). Anyway - it is generally meat of some sort, rice or another grain and some veg, carrott, zucchini and brocoli stems - it varies depending on what I have in the fridge, or on hand. We had only recently got the dog and I had only recently discovered the 'benefits' of home making dog food. I make the dog food in a pressure cooker... anyway on this day I was running a bit low on time (as usual when you have two kids and work) so I put it on, cooked it and took it off the heat when done and went to the park with the girls letting it cool while we were out. I got home quite close to dinner time and on opening the pressure cooker thinking "well I have dog food but what am I going to feed the family" ... and then it occurred to me - rice, meat and veg ... what is wrong with that, so I took out some portions - added some pureed tomatoes and some parsley ... and 'da da'!! Dinner for the whole family!! Well you should have heard the fuss!!! My girls are 6 and 3 and are not fussy eaters - in fact they eat pretty much anything I put in front of them but this day - "I AM NOT eating DOG FOOD!!" I tried to explain it was just food - and that it was perfectly fine for us as well as the dog - but even my husband wouldn't touch it!!! I found this terribly funny .... and I ate the very yummy dog food dinner. The family had to make do with omelettes! Of course my elsest daughter being 6 took great delight in telling everyone we came in contact with that Mummy had fed them dog food for dinner!! So my reputation amongst my friends as being a good cook took a bit of a beating for a while! Cyn
Posted by: juniehyatt

Re: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 06/30/11 12:17 PM

My funny cooking story involves my mom.Mom was never much of a cook but she invited my and my baby over for dinner and was cooking some chicken in the oven.Im still not sure exactly how it happened but grease from the chicken ended up on the heating element in her electric oven. As the house filled with smoke she realized there was a fire in the oven.I grabbed my baby and the phone and ran outside to call 911 while she stayed behind to try to get it out.The 911 operator told me the first thing to do is make sure the oven is off and keep the oven door closed.So I'm yelling to her back inside the house his instructions and he tells me again make sure the oven is completely off which I tell her again. She was annoyed at me mentioning it again and she made sure I knew when she came outside to wait for the fire department with me.So they arrive and discover that in her panic she had accidently turned the oven all the way up to broil.She had also thrown a bunch of flour on top in an attempt to smother out the fire. Did you guys know flour can explode? Well we didn't, but the fire man who gave us the lecture about using baking soda to safely put out a fire sure knew.Luckily no one was hurt and the fire department arrived before the fire spread or got out of hand.Mom had to buy a new oven,which kind of stunk as she barely ever used it, but at least I got to tease her about nearly blowing up the oven trying to make chicken.
Posted by: ChrissySnow

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 12/16/11 04:03 PM

This happened just this past summer. We've got 6 cats, the youngest just turned 2 when she pulled this off. We had friends over on a rainy night, had planned to grill out but had to stay indoors because of the rain. I had the fish laid out on the foil "boats" all prepared to slip into the oven, we were all in the living room talking. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch a glimpse of our youngest cat, rounding the corner and coming through the living room, with a filet of haddock in her mouth, dragging it through the house, head held high, ears back, looking very focused on getting to her destination to devour it. We all roared so loudly as I retrieved the fish from her, she looked very dejected (thank god our friends also have cats!). We cooked that piece of fish and gave it to our dogs, and gave her a small piece. I wish I had a video of it. And yes, I should have known better than to leave fish unattended. LOL
Posted by: jodiemt

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/16/12 01:11 AM

Once when I was a kid, I 'cooked'- yes cooked tea. That was my first little kitchen experiment. So I added a few more of my special ingredients to it like cumin seeds and crushed pepper. Ha! But it made no difference to the taste of the tea and my parents drank it!
Posted by: FiveLittleChefs

Re: Topic of the Day: What's Your Funny Cooking Story? - 02/21/12 10:20 AM

I have been allowing my Little Chefs to cook each night with my guidance and supervision. We have stories of recipes that work and some that weren't as successful. Our latest, Little Chef A made caramel sauce. She had to make it twice because the first one burnt. We discovered we were using a pan that was too wide so the liquid only changed color in the very middle and not all over. By the time Little Chef A took it off we could smell the burnt smell. We knew it had to come out immediately so it wouldn't forever be stuck in there. I helped her pour it into a paper cup and soak the pan. A few minutes later it was a hard rock in the cup never to come out!