BellaOnline
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Tilapia... - 03/02/08 02:28 AM
Do you have any recipes for Tilapia? We love this fish but have only one basic recipe for it.
Posted By: M o e Re: Tilapia... - 03/02/08 02:47 AM
I love Tilapia. I just roll it up in a sheet of tinfoil that's been sprayed with olive oil and spritz fresh lemon over the fish. Sometimes I throw in some green onion. And bake.
Posted By: Adoption Editor Re: Tilapia... - 03/02/08 06:13 PM
We usually put some diced tomatoes, chopped onions and a bit of olive oil on top. Season with salt and pepper.

We wrap it in tin foil and bake or grill.

It's wonderful, and works great on halibut as well. smile
Posted By: joanj Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 02:07 PM
I get frozen Tilapia fillets at Costco. They're seasoned and ready to pop into the oven. It's a really quick and delicious dinner.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 02:11 PM
I never heard of Tilapia, is it skinned, breaded or what, does it have a strong fishy taste,?
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 03:48 PM
Tilapia does not have fishy taste which makes it great for people like me who don't eat fish because of the "fishiness."

I have sauteed Tilipia in a little olive oil with garlic, onions and tomato.
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 03:55 PM
I haven't tried tilapia but it sounds delicious. I'm trying to put more fish into our diet so we can be healthier.
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 04:55 PM
I love tilapia. It has a very mild taste and is easy to prepare. I usually saute mine with some sliced mushrooms, green onion and a bit of white wine. Season with salt and pepper.
Posted By: Rhonda C Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 06:56 PM
We buy our Tilapia at Costco as well but we get the kind that is not yet seasoned. Their prices are excellent. I use it in most any recipe that calls for a white fish. The last time I used Tilapia, I made Fish Tacos. They were so yummy and better than any we have had in a restaurant.
Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Re: Tilapia... - 03/03/08 09:42 PM
Tilapia is a favorite of mine as well, its affordable and so not fishy!! I love to saute it in a lemon caper sauce.
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 12:00 AM
Jill, I love lemon and capers. How do you prepare your sauce?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 12:09 AM
Wow!!! Thanks for all the tips. Now I have more options. Olive oil, onions and tomatos sounds really good, and wrapping it in foil keeps all the moisture in. Thank you, all.
Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 12:12 AM
I've tried a great Tilapia I found at the grocers, it had a confetti colored coating. It was a mix of corn meal, probably red pepper and spices. Had a mexican flare to it; very yummy, not too spicy. The kids loved it and it was so easy to prepare.
Posted By: Elleise - Clairvoyance Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 01:32 AM
Tilapia is just one of those fish you can cook so many ways. It doesn't come with a pre-established flavor or smell.

I buy Sea Bests' (unseasoned) 4 LB box.

I heat a large sautee pan w/3 Tbl Olive Oil and 1 slice of bacon and throw in some sliced onion and 4-5 cloves of garlic and temper with some white wine or marsala.

Season filets with salt, pepper, McCormicks season salt (spicy) and italian seasoning and dredged through a mixture of flour, parmesean cheese, season salt and flour.

Cook on each side for about 5-6 min. and at the last minute a bit more of the wine.

Before serving I squeeze lemon across the filets and serve with garlic bread or red steamed potatoes and corn. It's not calorie conscious but sometimes as an extra, I'll mix some melted butter parmesean cheese and parsely for a diping sauce smile

Baking cuts calories. Onions, red bell pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic with a sprinkle of season salt is just as nice. Sometimes I throw in italian or fresh tomatoes on the grill with zuccinni and summer sqash it's wonderful!!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Posted By: wonderwoman13 Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 04:00 AM
These all sound so good that it's making my mouth water! I love tilapia too but I haven't been as creative as it seems most people have. I normally just cook it in some lemon juice, little bit of butter, pepper and seasoning. But I love the idea of baking it with peppers, tomatoes, and onions. I'm going to try that next time! How long do you bake it? Not very long, I'm sure.
Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 04:29 PM
Tilapia in Lemon Caper Sauce

First I season the fish with a little salt and pepper then I cook it in a saute pan with a bit of olive oil until flaky. Remove from pan and then add some lemon juice, capers and maybe even some chicken stock and deglaze the pan. Add the fish back to the saute pan and allow the sit for a bit. Serve with fresh lemon slices. OH and another thing you can do is not add the fish back in but throw in some aspargus and steam it in the pan juices and serve the whole thing together.
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Tilapia... - 03/04/08 04:40 PM
Thanks Jill! I like the idea of adding some asparagus at the end too. That makes it an easy one pan meal.
Posted By: Ms A Re: Tilapia... - 03/16/08 11:03 PM
We enjoy tilapia, too -- nice and mild. I fry it with a bit of olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper and a bit of lemon juice. My son loves it -- used to be a picky eater but those teen boy growth patterns opens him up to many more options!

Any suggestions of other mild fish? Those are the ones that we tend to like.
Posted By: heyyou Re: Tilapia... - 03/19/08 12:52 AM
Tilapia is a common fish locally both in stores or right off the boat. The way we fix it most is in a Tamarind Soup base from mix (Knorr) with sauteed onion and any of a variety of veggies - eggplant, greens, carrots, etc. The fish is added last and when serving it is removed to a plate along with the veggies and the broth is served up in mugs. - Hey, it's the other side of the world. that's how all soups are eaten here.
Posted By: ChefJames Re: Tilapia... - 08/17/09 04:54 PM
Spice-Rubbed Tilapia with Mango and Red Onion Salsa SALSA 1 mango, chopped small 1 red pepper, chopped small 1 red onion, chopped small 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 1 teaspoon garlic, minced 1/4 cup pineapple juice 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped salt and pepper, to taste 2 pounds tilapia filets 3 tablespoons olive oil SPICE RUB 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon paprika 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground For salsa, mix all ingredients (mango through salt and pepper) together. Brush olive oil onto the tilapia fillets. for the spice rub, mix all the ingredients together. Rub the spice mixture onto the oil-coated tilapia filets. Pan sear the tilapia filets in a nonstick pan for 3-4 minutes per side, or until done. Top generously with salsa and serve.
Posted By: K L Brown - Healthy Foods Re: Tilapia... - 08/19/09 07:02 PM
Chef James, this sounds great! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it.

And thanks to your post, this thread is up to the top again. In the past other readers sent in great ideas from for this delicious and affordable fish.
© BellaOnline Forums