BellaOnline
Posted By: Lori-Marriage Where do you write best? - 01/29/09 10:57 PM
Do you have a special spot? Do you prefer to write in complete solitude? Or can you write with other people around you?

Stephen King's "On Writing" book (a great read if you can ignore the occasional expletive) he says his best work took place in a crummy corner of a laundry room. In a mobile home, an apartment. He cranked out his work in a place where the "real" world was inacessible. This forced him to turn inward where he could get into his zone, that realm of imagination that he channeled. He didn't say anything about channeling. That is my impression.

So, where do you write?

It is absolutely crazy, but I seem to get the most writing done when I am at my daughter's cheerleading practice!

She has to be there for 2 hrs - 3 or 4 days a week, there is nothing for me to do, so I bring my computer and type away.

The only problem is when some of the other Moms get in a chatty mood and include me. I literally have to say to them "I have to wrok tonight, so I'm going to my corner." grin
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Where do you write best? - 01/30/09 01:09 AM
I need to buy a laptop because I'm either working on the computer at my desk in the family room or in my office at work.
The problem with my office at work, being an HR manager you can only imagine the number of interruptions. At my desk in the family room, I'm always chatting with the family or watching TV, except on weekends. Hopefully I can put a laptop in my budget sometime in the near future.
Lori,I am going to see if I can find the book you mention it sounds interesting.
Posted By: Lori-Marriage Re: Where do you write best? - 01/30/09 01:22 AM
Oh, please do! You'll really like it. It's one of the best writing books I've read, and I've read many!

I'm not a fan of his genre, but wow, he gives it to you straight. It was practical and fascinating at the same time! He talks about his early life and how he gleaned little bits and pieces for his stories. It was part autobiography and part writing lesson that reads like a can't-put-it-down novel.

Let me know what you think.
Posted By: Beauty B's Re: Where do you write best? - 01/30/09 01:58 AM
Normally on transit, I always carry a steno pad with me, that way when inspiration hits, I'm ready.

During the spring/summer by the lake or in the park. I love the serenity!
Posted By: mary-tea1 Re: Where do you write best? - 01/30/09 02:21 AM
I too always have pen and paper with me at all times. And just like Michelle, I brought my work with me when the kids were at their various practices, and people wpould intentionally be over my shoulder trying and straining to see what I was writing it was funny! Sometimes I would sit in the car, and they would finally leave me alone.

I love sitting somewhere, kitchen, study, dining room when the sun istreaming in through the windows just love that!

Mary Caliendo
Posted By: Melissa Editor Re: Where do you write best? - 02/01/09 02:58 AM
What a great question! I know that my favorite (or one of them) childhood author, Brian Jacques always writes by hand sitting under a tree. I am more of a computer laptop junkie and so have done my best writing working overnight shifts, riding on long car rides or in the deepest darkest corner of the library. I always think that I am going to get more writing done during lull times at work, but can't ever seem to get that to happen.

Melissa
Posted By: Lori-Marriage Re: Where do you write best? - 02/02/09 05:47 PM
I love to write under this shady tree overlooking Laguna Beach. Unfortunately, I am frequently distracted by the beautiful vista, and in my experience Stephen King was right: I write more when I'm locked away. The problem is I don't care to be locked away. But I do enjoy entering my writing zone. So I'm caught in the middle...which probably is why I have a lot of half-completed works.
Posted By: heyyou Re: Where do you write best? - 02/02/09 09:08 PM
I agree - stephen King's book is GREAT!

I "type" at computer or "write" at dining room table or on the couch with clipboard prooped on my knees. I formulate a lot that gets 'written' later while beachcombing early most mornings. that's where many new ideas get fleshed out a bit or problems in re-write get gappled with. If I didn't live on a tropical island I guess the latter would happen where EVER I was walking. Used to in the car when I lived half my life in one (now don't even have one.)
Posted By: Lori-Marriage Re: Where do you write best? - 02/10/09 02:18 AM
A tropical island? Lived half your life in a car? Now that's fodder for writing!

Which island?
Posted By: heyyou Re: Where do you write best? - 02/10/09 03:17 AM
not literaly half my life - just half ot the time (it seemed like) when I lived in the States where you can't get much of anywhere without one. here I don't have one.

Tinian is in the Northern Mariana islands in the North Pacific.
Posted By: JMBusinessOwners Re: Where do you write best? - 02/10/09 03:23 AM
I write best on the sofa with music in the background and my super soft blanket, oh yeah, and usually alone.
Posted By: Natasha K Re: Where do you write best? - 02/18/09 07:53 AM
Stephen King's book is quite good. I write best in my living room with good music playing. I definately do my best writing late at night, usually between midnight and whenever... Natasha
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Where do you write best? - 08/31/17 02:43 PM
If it is silent then it does not matter where I am.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: Where do you write best? - 08/31/17 04:05 PM
I do my best by taking my laptop to somewhere comfortable, but not too cozy and where there's no wifi to distract me. I then get on with the work, making notes of anything I need to check. I can fill those in later when I have wifi again.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Where do you write best? - 09/01/17 05:24 AM
I write while sitting at my desk top computer, facing the front picture window - looking up is a good rest for my eyes ...
© BellaOnline Forums