BellaOnline
In honor of both International Women's Day on March 8th, and this week's 50th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising against Chinese occupation, my article this week is on Tibetan Women's Uprising Day, including info on the Tibetan Women's Association and the Tibetan Nuns Project.

In honor of the anniversary this week, I would love to hear from anyone that is familiar with these organizations, or any other organization related to the Tibetan cause. Or, feel free to post any other comments or resources related to the Tibet situation in general.

And for those of you that have never seen the movie Kundun, this is an excellent movie available for rental that depicts this difficult time in Tibetan history and the Dalai Lama's historic escape.
That's in my queue, I am watching some movies tonight while I work to get through them, so I can get Kundun to be sent to me! I use Netflix.
Hi there - while we are on the subject of Tibet-related movies have you heard of the Women of Tibet project? It's three (well, two, so far) documentary films about the experiences of Tibetan women. I've seen the 2nd one - called "A Quiet Revolution" about the stretch between parents who lived an agrarian life (until forced into exile) and belonging to a generation forced out into the modern world. There's something about the Tibetan character, because the strength and wisdom of the women in the film is amazing. One of the older women interviewed in this film spent 17 years in a concentration camp - of the 300 women in this prison/work camp - only 4 survived. The younger women - as both the film and this book discuss - live a life without a passport - trying to pass on a heritage they've only experienced in exile. The other film in the series is "The Great Mother" and is about the life of the Dalai Lama's mother. They both have a lot of interviews with the Dalai Lama in them.
Wow that sounds fantastic, I will definitely look for that. Thanks for letting us know about it!
© BellaOnline Forums