BellaOnline
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Partial solar eclipse - Oct 23 2014 - 10/12/14 01:08 PM
Lunar eclipses have solar eclipses associated with them. Two weeks after the recent lunar eclipse there will be a partial solar eclipse. North America has been treated to two lunar eclipses this year, and will now have a chance to see the solar eclipse.

Diagram of visibility of the partial solar eclipse. Will you be able to see it? (Weather permitting, of course.)
Thanks for the heads up!
You can find out more about Solar Eclipses here.

And if you watch the eclipse, BE SAFE!
Never look directly at the Sun with a telescope or binoculars.
It is extremely dangerous and can result in permanent blindness.
It is also dangerous to look at a bright Sun with the unaided eye, even during a partial eclipse.
Use eclipse filters.
I've just had a reminder from Astronomers without Borders that they sell eclipse glasses. However there is a minimum quantity of ten. If you have family, neighbors, school, scouts, etc. group, then this is for you. The larger the quantity, the lower the price.

If you look after the glasses, you can use them for another solar eclipse or for sunspot viewing. (Don't use them if the filters get scratched or damaged.) Here is their web page - and there's a sale on!

By the way, the profits go to support astronomy programs worldwide.
If you're one of the unfortunates - such as me - who can't see the eclipse, there are some live webcasts. SLOOH will be broadcasting from 9.00 p.m. UTC - that's 2.00 p.m. PDT/5.00 p.m. EDT.

The Coca Cola Space Science Center will also be broadcasting it. There will probably be other webcasts too - search the web.
SpaceWeather.com and other sites have lots of photos from yesterday's partial solar eclipse. Here are two that I particularly liked:

From California, the Jupiter-sized sunspot group AR2192 is prominent on the eclipsed Sun.

And from Arizona, an exquisite eclipsed Sun with silhouetted trees in the foreground. Wow! It must have taken a lot patience to get that one.
Rose, I hope you were able to see the eclipse!
© BellaOnline Forums