BellaOnline
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Water on the Moon? - 07/10/13 08:11 AM
Everybody had known for a long time that the Moon was bone dry. In the nineties probes found some evidence of water. After a big announcement of water on the Moon, it went back again to being described as dry. What's the story in the 21st century?

Water on the Moon
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Water on the Moon? - 07/10/13 10:39 AM
Shared your link on FB. Fascinating.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: Water on the Moon? - 07/11/13 04:21 PM
Thank you, Lori. I'm glad you liked it. There is quite a lot more to this unfolding story, so I think I'll have a follow-up one day.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: Water on the Moon? - 07/17/13 05:20 PM
The Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter (LRO) completed an extensive period of measurements. The data were released last year showing concentrations of water in the lunar soil.

LRO map of water in the lunar soil January 29, 2012
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: Water on the Moon? - 07/23/13 11:27 AM
Here is a 2009 cartoonist's response to NASA's announcement of water on the Moon detected by three different instruments.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: Water on the Moon? - 08/29/13 05:51 PM
My article outlines how our ideas about water on the Moon changed from “dry as a bone” to really quite a lot of surface water. But now NASA’s Moon Mineralogy Mapper has found evidence of water in grains that formed deep below the surface, suggesting water in the interior. A few years ago, water was found in moon rocks that showed the same thing.
© BellaOnline Forums