BellaOnline
Posted By: Mavis Yellow/Brown Leaves - 08/25/09 02:31 PM
I recently got my 1st orchid and am hoping that I don't kill it too soon. It was a real cheap one from WalMart and I'm sure I picked it out almost as soon as they got them in and hadn't had a chance to kill it themselves. A friend told me it was a phaleonopsis.

When I got it, one of the 3 leaves had a little yellow/brown on it, which increased until most of the leaf was dead and I cut it off. Now, the largest leave is turning yellow/brown. The flowers are starting to drop off and since I have had it for about a month, I figure that is about normal - but I don't want it to be without leaves and am not sure what to do about that.

Another friend told me that too much sunlight can cause yellow/brown leaves, but I have it on my desk and it receives no sunlight at all - just the light from a lamp.

Here is a picture of the leaf.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Posted By: SheilaL Re: Yellow/Brown Leaves - 08/26/09 08:26 PM
that does look like too much or too close of light. How close is your lamp to the leaves?
Posted By: Mavis Re: Yellow/Brown Leaves - 09/06/09 12:15 AM
the lamp is 3 feet away from the orchid.
Posted By: Susan - Orchid Host Re: Yellow/Brown Leaves - 11/26/09 02:23 PM
I'd suggest that you get some kind of fungicide (Physan or Consan is what I use) and spray on your orchid. Many times inexpensive orchids are planted in sphagnum moss and this is a problem once the plant is placed in a home. If your plant continues to lose leaves it will eventually die. It is unlikely that the light is too much.
Posted By: patience47us Re: Yellow/Brown Leaves - 03/22/10 03:44 AM
Phals don't usually have more than 4-6 leaves at a time and eventually the older leaf dies. When you water it, don't allow water to pool at the base of the leaves - it will cause rot!
Posted By: Shebar Re: Yellow/Brown Leaves - 06/13/10 09:20 PM
Posted By: guitar47 Re: Yellow/Brown Leaves - 07/25/10 04:59 PM
If the bottom leaves are the only one that is turning it is an age issue. Normally if you are getting just yellow spots and with black on the leaves,this is to much light. What potting media are use using? Bark and moss work well. No soil though. Also make sure not to water until the roots are completely dry.Hope this helps.You can check out a few articles at this site that might explain more. www.OrchidsCareCenter.com
© BellaOnline Forums