BellaOnline
Posted By: Outdoor Aussie Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 03/02/09 11:12 PM
I'm really interested to find out which part of Australia people from other countries would really love to visit? What city, attraction or landmark have you heard about that makes you want to jump on a plane and visit Oz? :) OR if you don't want to visit Australia why not?
The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest organic structure, making it one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Almost one fifth of the world's coral reefs could be found here. Over 400 varieties of corals are seen in the Great Barrier Reef. It also houses an estimate of 1,500 different kinds of fish and almost 4,000 types of mollusks. Tourists would be amazed to take a glimpse of these wonderful creations. Another popular tourist destination is the world-famous Sydney Opera House.
Hi Gene :) The Great Barrier Reef is definitely on my to do list as far as things to see in Oz. With the rate of it's demise I am guessing the we really shouldn't leave it too long to visit, although probably once our kiddies are a bit older :) The Sydney Opera House is definitely an extremely unique building, and certainly makes for a great photo!! There are some absolutely beautiful landmarks and beaches to see in Sydney. Of course the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Bondi beach and also the other amazing beaches such as Coogee and Maroubra Beaches are just breathtakingly beautiful. Not far from Sydney a drive through the Blue Mountains region is just lovely, surrounded by green lush nature.... I have travelled most of the east coast of Australia and in fact live on the east coast. Australia has some of the most amazing beaches in the world without a doubt. Another town to visit is Byron Bay, the bluest water I have ever seen and a lovely laid back alternative lifestyle vibe. Melbourne has a gorgeous vibe and is full of great shopping and things to do, definitely a city we will return to one day. Adelaide took my breath away from the moment we drove into the city. We were greeted by Black Swans in the middle of the road lazing about on a grassed area and buildings full of heritage and culture..... Uluru.... well I just simply can't explain it, but the intensely powerful feeling that rushes through you when you are there is just, well you have to experience it first hand.... Darwin.. is a lively place full of holiday makers annd asian influenced culture... lots of things to do with the kids, almost a week there and we could have stayed much longer.... Kakadu....... OMG I simply can't wait to return there. You can literally feel the spirit of the land as you stand in awe of the aboriginal rock art and the amazing landscape that surrounds you.... wow there's so much more, our goals in the next couple of years are to visit Western Australia and Tasmania, the only 2 states we haven't been to yet and explore some of the other places we have visited but want to experience in more depth. I am actually quite proud of the vast amount of land we've travelled in Australia and if I had my way I would live on the road and just soak up the beauty of our country day in, day out!!!
Posted By: emilia Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 12/12/10 09:58 AM
I've been to Sydney and Melbourne. I would definitely visit Australia again. It's a beautiful continent with amazing people.
I would love to travel to see flocks of Australian parrots, especially parakeets and cockatiels.
I would love to visit Australia!! I don't know where there I'd want to go. Everywhere!!!!
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 09/23/11 04:27 PM
Hello,

I traveled to Australia in the late 90's and even though it was a 20+ hour flight from NYC, I loved it! Bondi Beach was phenomenal as was witnessing firsthand the magnificent architecture of The Sydney Opera House.

The trip started in Sydney and I explored from there: traveling to Coff�s Harbor, the Gold Coast, the Great Barrier Reef, Brisbane. The scenery was breathtaking: everything from the panoramic mountains and to the ocean.

I indulged in Australia�s gastronomic delights, wining and dining my way through the country and sampling the local brews and wines as well as some salty vegemite.

I did some bushwalking, too, and the wildlife entranced me as I gazed at the kangaroos, koalas and wallabies.

In one word, Australia is a phenomenal place with a lot to offer the traveler. I'd love to go back and visit once again, but I think that I'd need more than 2 weeks. Ayer's Rock would be on the agenda for sure.
Posted By: wickyyao Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 10/02/11 06:10 AM
I love the Great Barrier Reef!!!! Fantastic!
I am from Australia and live in South Australia.... many great things to do here, like wineries and shopping... Not like Sydney or Melbourne though! I personally love Darwin where I grew up and its a great tourist spot... and also I love the gold coast with all the beautiful beaches.
Posted By: anitabath011 Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 11/16/11 06:11 AM
Posted By: Jim Colyer Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 12/31/11 04:57 PM
I went to a place called Wiruna. It is the dark sky site of the Astronomical Society of New South Wales ASNSW. 150 miles northwest of Sydney. We spent 3 nights observing the southern stars and contellations.
I would love to see cockatiels in free flight, as well as budgies and other Australian parrots.
Posted By: cindyp Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 04/18/12 03:38 PM
While visiting, I ended up across the harbor from Sydney in a beach town called Manly Beach. I fell in love with it and ended up staying there every time I went. It was a 30 minute ferry ride from Circular Quay. In fact - I also fell in love with Circular Quay, which is not really considered a tourist attraction, in itself. But, it is the center of Sydney Harbor and where the Opera House is located, along with the botanical gardens, shopping and nice, outdoor patio restaurants. You can walk to downtown Sydney from here, too. I love this place - even just to hang out.
Posted By: sailingmaggie Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 05/04/12 05:22 PM
I've only been once and it certainly was nowhere near long enough. But my absolute favorite thing to do was the penguin parade on Phillip Island. You've never seen anything like it! Do a search for it and you'll see what I mean. So cute!
Posted By: singhalprett Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 07/05/12 07:58 AM
Sydeny is the best place in Australia.It is my ideal destination in the world.
Thanks for your comment singalprett, Sydney is a very pretty place. But I would encourage you to spread your wings a little if you ever come to Australia. This land is very big and has many, many different aspects, from cold snowy mountains, to dry dusty deserts and wonderful lush green moist rainforests. It's a little surpise packet singalprett, and I hope you get the chance to come and see it for yourself.

Cheerio for now

Posted By: heather32 Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 08/17/12 10:05 AM
Australia is a heaven of tourist and visitors and I love to go there again and again. There are many places where you can go and spend your vacations I like the most is Sydney, Melbourne and Queensland for my vacation destination. These are my favorite places.
Posted By: Stevie_80 Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 08/22/12 12:16 PM
We spent a few days in Cairns and it was beautiful; the reef was really close, we saw crocodiles in the wild and took a tour through the rainforest
Posted By: heather32 Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 08/31/12 12:50 PM
[quote=heather32]Australia is a heaven of tourist and visitors and I love to go there again and again. There are many places where you can go and spend your vacations I like the most is Sydney, Melbourne and Queensland for my vacation destination. These are my favorite places. [/quote]
Yes Heather, even as an Aussie living here, and having travelled extensively throughout Australia over my entire adult life, there is still more to see. We're heading off again soon, this time to visit our nations capital city Canberra. I'll be writing about that soon.

Thanks Heather for your contribution to this forum. Stay well

Cheerio for now
I thought Coober Pedy was absolutely interesting! We even stayed in an underground home -- loved it!
I've always wanted to go there! Not only for the unique architecture, but to dowse for Opals! smile
After reading the book The Light Between Oceans, I definitely want to see Western Australia. Sounds like the last frontier, although I am sure that it's changed in the almost one hundred years since the setting of the novel!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your Ideal Australian Destination? - 07/09/18 09:04 PM
We have a regular contributor to the Mused Literary Review who is just an amazing person. I would love to go visit him and see the natural wonders he's always taking photos of.
© BellaOnline Forums