BellaOnline
Posted By: Robin - Fragrance Editor Reed Diffusers - 12/06/08 02:16 AM
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: rdywenur Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/06/08 02:31 AM
I love diffusers. I love the Pearlessence Citrus and they discontinued that one so am having a hard time finding one to replace it. Another is Grapefruit and sage which is nice. I like them because they aren't overpowering and just the right touch plus you don;t have to worry about unattending them as you would a candle.
Posted By: Robin - Fragrance Editor Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/06/08 03:41 PM
You know - you can always make your own reed diffusers. All you need to do is purchase reeds, fragrance and a jar/glass to hold them in.

www.wellingtonfragrance.com is one source for all of the above products. If you search on the internet under reed diffusers, you will find others.

Ask the people at these places - they may be able to suggest what fragrances would take the place of the Pearlessence Citrus.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/07/08 05:25 PM
This is TOO funny I was just coming over here to ask a question about reed diffusers.

I have one that has run empty. I want to refill it. What recipe do you use for the liquid inside? I have a lavender essential oil that I use for other projects.
Posted By: rdywenur Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/07/08 06:31 PM
Lisa good question as I often thought the same. They always sell refill oils but they do not look like what was initially in the original bottle. (Yankee Candles has some but seems you must buy more than one refill to fill the bottle which does not make any sense or seem economical...no instructions either) I feel something should be added to the oils but what???
Posted By: Robin - Fragrance Editor Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/07/08 06:36 PM
You could buy the base and add your lavender to it. Reed diffuser base oils are available on the internet and at some stores. The amount of oil you use will depend on the size of the jar that holds the reed and how much liquid you put into it. Usually 2 ounces of liquid is sufficient with 10 - 15 drops of essential oils.

OR

Mix carrier oils like grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, etc with your lavender or other fragrance. Again try 2 ounces of the carrier oil to 10-15 drops of fragrance (depends on how you like the scent).

You can always use more fragrance. If you find you put in too much, then add a little more base.

Baby oil has also been known to be used mixed with fragrance or essential oils. I have tried it, as I like the scent of baby oil, but I feel the oil is too thick to really work well. Perhaps my reeds were too thin for that thickness of oil.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/10/08 03:11 PM
OK I don't have any of those carrier oils, I'll have to find some! Thanks!
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/11/08 12:16 AM
I have a patchoulli diffuser that makes the whole first floor smell like perfume. When it's all used up can I get a bottle of pouchoulli essential oil and add it to baby oil, like you explained to Lisa and get the same effect? The last one I had I didn't know what to do when it was empty so I recycled the glass and threw away the reeds. frown
Posted By: Robin - Fragrance Editor Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/11/08 12:39 AM
Deb,

Yes you can get some patchouli oil and add it to the baby oil, almond oil, etc. You can also purchase base oils online as well.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/11/08 03:31 PM
Wait I did have ancient grapeseed oil! Success! I added in some lavender essential oil and I'm all set smile I'll post photos soon! That was very easy smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/13/08 05:25 PM
OK here are the photos!

Quick, easy, useful!
Posted By: Robin - Fragrance Editor Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/13/08 08:07 PM
Great, easy, inexpensive but wonderful gift for Christmas!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Reed Diffusers - 12/13/08 08:14 PM
I really was just SO happy with your information, Robin! I really hated to throw away a perfectly good, pretty jar and reeds. I hate to throw anything away. I already had the ingredients in the house so it was just a matter of mixing them together and voila! It's right here by my desk making me happy!

Thank you so much smile
© BellaOnline Forums