BellaOnline
Posted By: blu354 Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/03/02 05:44 AM
Patchouli is one of those fragrances that people either LOVE or HATE...there's not very many in-betweeners.

So, which are you? Do you love it or hate it?
Posted By: pureheart Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/03/02 11:12 PM
I think it's on the strong side, but like everything in life there is a place for it. It wouldn't be good behind an elegant meal (too heavy) but it might be great when watching a movie about religion or something, drinking a heavy wine smile
Posted By: blu354 Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/04/02 05:02 AM
Good point, Lisa.

Me...I happen to like it, but not as much by itself as when blended with other oils, like Cinnamon and Sandalwood.

Anyone else have an opinion on Patchouli? Feel free to chime in! smile
Posted By: Debbie L. Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/16/02 02:33 PM
I love Patchouli. I particularly like it blended with Sandalwood, during my meditation sessions, or after cleansing my house; I find it grounding and clearing to burn it as incense as well.
Posted By: pureheart Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/16/02 10:15 PM
How do you blend incense? It so happens that today I was going through one of my kitchen drawers that had all my incense in it and moved it all into another one to try to organize it. I mostly have long sticks and cones. Do you burn two side by side? Most are unlabeled and long since lost the packaging so it's sort of a random selection as to what one smells like smile

Candles are easier, I'm burning a vanilla candle right now
Posted By: Silly Goose Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 05/27/03 04:51 PM
I'm not crazy about patchouli it gives me a headache for some strange reason. I took my kids to an aromotherapist who created blends for each of them and my daughters had patchouli in it. i had to have hers remixed without it, because it just made my head hurt. It's not that i dont like the smell, it just literally makes me feel bad, it's totally weird.
Posted By: ~ Rae ~ Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 05/28/03 12:12 AM
I have a hard time with it as a scent myself...

One of the best overheard lines from someone else's conversation I ever heard was on Haight St in San Francisco one day. As I walked by a group of three or four people sitting on the sidewalk, one man turned to the woman sitting next to him and said "oh sure! just dump patchouli all over everyone!" Guess they were having a bit of a rough day....

- Rae
Posted By: SylviaL Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 05/28/03 01:01 AM
You are right; you either love it or hate patchouli. I love it; my daughter hates it. She says that it smells like dirt. Many scents fade on me. Patchouli seems to last. I buy the oils. I also like the incense too. Oh well, to each his own. sincerely, moose
Posted By: FOW Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 06/09/03 06:49 PM
I have used Patchouli. In house cleaning and during meditation.Although quite strong, I use small amounts of the oil and blend with Sandalwood,it's ok.
Posted By: DreaminDragon Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 07/28/03 10:29 PM
I love it but not many people around me do. So I usually use the straight scent in the confines of my room.

When out and about, I usually mix the patchouli with vanilla and sandalwood. And I sometimes use patchouli as a base for regular perfumes that are flowery like Anna Sui.

I also discovered a wonderful scent at Bath & Body Works. Jasmine Vanilla is part of their aromatherapy line and I get so many compliments about it. It's jasmine and vanilla mixed with a base of sandalwood and patchouli.
Posted By: IceQueen Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 01/18/04 10:46 PM
I love it. But I've only smelled it once. And it might have been mixed with something, because it wasn't this "strong heavy smell" that everyone on this thread seems to be talking about...
Posted By: masonik4 Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 06/08/04 06:17 PM
You know, you are correct in the sides of Patchouli. I have been selling oils for years, and I have heard either one side or the other. Personally, I think it is too strong, but I have had some of my better sales with those who like it. I personally would not wear it, but if someone asks for it, I would not hesitate to get it for my clients.
Posted By: goldaline Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 06/26/04 02:10 AM
i looooove patchouli. i like to put a dab of patchouli on and then spray something flowery on top, like LuxuryTravel mentioned. i also like to use the Kiss My Face Peacefule Patchouli deoderant. it's got a nice subtle scent. i love it! patchouli is also my favorite type of incense.
Posted By: Nicci Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/08/04 07:57 PM
I used to like it but now it has a bad association for me. It is too strong.
Posted By: marriedman Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/09/04 10:49 AM
I've always wondered, is Patchouli really that intense a scent, or do these ppl just smother it on that thick?

Either way, every time I've smelled Patchouli(usually someone sitting next to me in a crowded theater), I've felt nauseous due to it's intensity, also due to the fact that everytime I've smelt it, it's accompanied by intense B.O.

So intense Patchouli + intense B.O. = barf
Posted By: 1PrincessLydia Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/09/04 05:27 PM
Love! (When it's not mixed with B.O., of course!)
Posted By: Nicci Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/20/04 08:35 PM
You might be right, chocobo. I think "hippies" tend to wear it and I it does smell like most people bathe in it. Give me New West. smile
I like patchouli, but mixed with something like vanilla, frankincense, or sandalwood.

It is best, in my opinion, when mixed with vanilla and frankincense. 5 drops of each in my fragrance oil burner and I am happy as a clam.

Hmmmm......wait......how do we know clams are happy?
Posted By: LadyLvsNyt Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 10/19/08 11:07 PM
Patchouli does have a "dirt" quality---it smells like wild, earthy exotic sex! I like it with vanilla and amber and almond, or under a spicy oriental like Obsession or Halston.
Ravyn
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 10/19/08 11:29 PM
I absolutely love Patchouli and when I buy it from Whole foods I put a few drops in my shampoo bottle so that my hair smells like Patchouli or put a few drops in my bath water. smile
I just smelled patchouli and cedarwood in a candle at the local grocery store. That smelled great!
Posted By: CindyCindy Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 10/28/08 06:17 PM
I have always loved the rich aroma of patchouli.
It gives the fragrance that deep scent that I love, brings a feeling of relaxation to the mind and body.
I also like the rich fragrance of patchouli. It is very a very relaxing and warm aroma. It often puts me in a reflective mood.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 06/26/11 08:43 AM
I wear patchouli, I use it in my oil burner, I have been called a hippy when wearing it, and I agree with LadyLvsNyt about its 'dirty' quality.

I mix patchouli with rose and lemon.
i love it. However, with my birds, I have to be careful about scent. I don't want to make them sick. Scented things like
Glade candles and Febreze can kill them.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 07/01/11 01:13 PM
Yes I can't burn oils or spray things in my bedroom with the two birds living there, also I have to watch the dogs! I tend not to use sprays anymore. I only use oils.
Posted By: Susannah Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/09/11 05:08 PM
Love it...my mum hates the smell. I place a few drops on a tissue in my desk drawers, the smell stays there for ages!
I like Patchouli, and smelling the fragrance reminds me of the incense in the shops the hippies owned on the beaches in Florida, during the '60's when I was a kid. I also love Sandlewood.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 01/02/12 07:35 PM
It gives me a nice nostalgic feeling of my days at Prescott College. smile
Posted By: Melwyn Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 01/07/12 01:19 PM
I like it too. Brings back memories!
Posted By: Melwyn Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 01/07/12 01:20 PM
Has anyone tried 'bath and body works' Moonlight Path? it's nice at night.
I love it...my daughter hates it. I'll have to say, though, it really depends on the quality of the patchouli. I'd love to try making my own, but I need to find a good recipe.
Posted By: BB -Body Care Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 04/03/12 09:03 PM
I love the Patchouli scent. It is fun to mix them up with scents like Sandalwood and Vanilla.
Posted By: loong Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 04/03/12 10:52 PM
I just love Patchouli.that is the only incense I buy and burn.
Once I got to the gym and one of the guys said ,hey man, been smoking.
When patchouli was identified with the Hippie movement,i used
to hate it. No wonder ,I was working in the Insurance Business at the time!

Well,i think ,I will light up a few cones in the house.

Loong
Posted By: Encore DT Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 06/20/12 10:04 PM
Love it! For me there is something really sweet and soothing about Patchouli. It's a really nice and pleasing scent.
Posted By: Monroe Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 08/22/12 12:31 AM
I love patchouli, there was a certain type that I use to wear by Jovon in a lime green bottle,use to get it at wal-mart years ago but can't find it anymore. ( can anyone help)?????? Many comments I use to get m-m-m-m-m-m smelled sooooooo good.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 10/10/12 07:17 PM
When I think of patchouli I think about walking into an incense store and being hit with a "wall of smell". To me it's all muddled together. I tend to prefer specific scents, like lavender or ginger or rosemary. Or even pairs, like lavender-ginger.

So it's not that I "hate" it - but it's just not appealing to me.
I love Patchouli it's one of my absolute favorites. I find people often like it blended with other oils as it can be a bit intense on its own.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 10/10/12 10:17 PM
Dear Christin -

That's interesting to add even *more* aroma to it. Or do you mean in a way to dilute it? So the smell is for example mostly orange with a hint of patchouli?
I don't care for it.
Posted By: Nirmal Minhaj Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 01/04/13 04:23 AM
I'm not crazy about patchouli it gives me a headache for some strange reason. I took my kids to an aromatherapist who created blends for each of them and my daughters had patchouli in it. i had to have hers remixed without it, because it just made my head hurt. It's not that i don't like the smell, it just literally makes me feel bad, it's totally weird.
Posted By: Omily Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 01/21/13 02:56 AM
I love it, but I don't use it too much. laugh
Posted By: Valerie13 Re: Patchouli...love it? or hate it? - 09/18/13 03:49 AM
I find the scent of Patchouli quite strong. Sometimes it gives me headaches.
© BellaOnline Forums