BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb What are your One Year Goals? - 06/20/08 02:39 AM
Start by laying out your Five Year goals -

Five Year Goals Thread

Once you have your five year goals all settled, let's think more short term! What goals would you like to accomplish this year, to get you on your way?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/20/08 04:09 AM
OK I'll start!

My inbox still regularly gets up to 1,000 messages so I am working *very* hard on organizing and streamlining my mail stream, and asking others to help with things. My aim is to get this under control soon smile

The sweepstakes area needs to get caught up, that's another priority.

I need to get the social networking sites (MySpace etc) caught up with friend requests.

I want to finish my latest Weddings & Courtships: Native Americans book and sent to the publisher.

I just submitted my romance novel to a publisher. So I need to track that and submit elsewhere if I get back a rejection.

The house is really a mess smile I need to choose one room and get it organized, in a way that will stay organized. Then repeat smile

I have several pending origami orders which I need to get through and send out.

I want to make sure I exercise daily and get down to 130.
My one-year goals: (Missed the chat)

1. Finish editing my nonfiction book and put online as an e-book.
2. Finish novel (presently at 30,000 words).
3. Get remodel finished on this old house.
4. Finish remodel on rental house... after we have renters move out.
5. Publish 4 articles.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/22/08 08:58 PM
Bettyann -

Awesome!! You're a remodeling whirling dervish!! I wonder if you could write articles on your remodeling and get those published? People are always looking for remodeling tips, especially in our current economic climate.

Did you want any help editing your nonfiction book? I bet several of us would be happy to read through a PDF version of it and help you spot typos and that sort of thing, if you wanted some help! We can definitely help with the ebook side, we have a whole step by step course on how to do that smile

Let us know how we can help out!
An excellent book I read lately (and then bought) is Janet Luhr's Simply Living Guide. Yes we have heard it all before but it is an excellent reminder and has really good, practical suggestions too. I refuse to get caught up in what we call at home "The Great Hamster Wheel of Life" LOL! I have an old house too, and five wonderful, aging pets -- you just do what you can, as you are able to. Doing one room and then completing it Lisa, is awesome and will bring massive benefits to your peace of mind. After I organize even a closet I keep dropping by and admiring my own work and feeling good all over again! :>
1 year goals:

Lose 65 more lbs (lost 70 lbs so far)
Finish my book
Learn not to interfere with my husband's situation with his ex....
Organize my office
That's really it, I am right on track with everything else, these are the things that get pushed to the side...
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/22/08 10:07 PM
Sue you are SO right - I spent several hours and got my bedroom clean (it was a HUGE mess). I felt so wonderful afterwards!! I highly recommend the one room approach.

I have put Simply Living Guide on my list! I'll check Kindle later tonight to see if it's there and if not I'll Amazon it. Thanks!!

What are your short term goals for yourself?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/22/08 10:10 PM
Stephanie -

Wow that is AWESOME about the weight loss!! 65 in one year is a good rate, that's just over a pound a week. We can definitely help you do that! Post updates in the weight loss forum (or the low carb forum if you're low carbing, we're always happy to help) and we can give you kudos and encouragement smile

We definitely have writing forums to help with your book too. If you post when you get stuck or make progress we can cheerlead you along smile

I am all for organizing your office! I had my darn office all clean and now it is a pigsty again. I will be working on this soon, once I get a few more easier / upstairs rooms done.

Write down your list and post it! It really helps!
Well it took me three years to lose the 70 lbs lol

One issue that has popped up is that I have a pinched nerve in my sciatica or whatever you call it.

I'm ashamed to see my desk right now lol. The reason my computer probably crashed had to do with DUST build up and a clogged fan. lol
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 12:47 AM
My one year goals need tons of thinking but i figured i would at least start right now and add to it(baby steps, baby steps). Otherwise this is a bit overwhelming for me.

1. Have begun art portfolio
2. Both our credit scores are good
3. All my stuff from Arizona is here
4. I have one or two ebooks up in Cosmetics
5. JillFlorio.com is up to date with all old articles and current ones and back online
6. Cosmetics site is preloaded through end of the year
7. Crestline Living is up to date and number one google result for crestline
8. Break 500,000 in Amazon reviewer rank
9. Earning $1000 a month from my various projects
10. go camping with dan or alone at least every three weeks
11. Will have an accountant/tax person and all business/taxes will be well in hand and no longer a source of confusion and stress
12. Up to intermediate level yoga poses
13. Office will be organized
14. Kitchen/utility room will be organized
15. Will have new flooring, ceiling fan and wall paint done
16. Will have tried all local yoga classes and reviewed them for HG
17. Will no longer find getting packages to me as a nightmare
18. Will have several control journals created and in use, including emergency plan journal
19. Weight down to 120 to stay there, with under 20% fat levels
20. Um, many more, will be adding to this list smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 01:12 AM
Stephanie - it actually does get easier as you go, because you have more energy and aren't lugging around the extra weight. Can you even imagine picking up a 70 pound bag and carrying it around with you every single day? The thought is staggering!! It must be SO nice to be lighter now.

I'm sorry to hear about the pinched nerve, is there something they can do to "fix" that?

Think of your desk as a fun challenge. This will be your chance to do a fun summer cleaning and when it's done, you will be so happy with the results!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 01:16 AM
Yes definitely don't worry about this being complete or final!! It's a starting point, giving you some things to work on. You can always add or remove things from it as you go!

That list looks wonderful! It gives you different things to work on on different days so that you stay energized and engaged. They all definitely look quite doable too!

Don't worry about doing all of them right now. They're on the list to be thought about. Just be content that you are making progress on setting up your plan smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 01:55 AM
Thanks, Lisa, I hope so about them being doable. I have been tossing these thoughts around for a long time. I do think there is a lot of diversity in this beginning.

Should we start an thread where we talk about what we are doing *now* - and to get ideas how - to get the one year goals started?
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 02:41 AM
I have some info and articles I'm happy to recommend on action planning, which I think comes after you set goals. It's a system based on "Next step" thinking--i.e., what's the next step I take to get to my goal.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 05:54 AM
Excellent idea Jill!!

Here is a thread to get us actually working on our goals NOW - and to get feedback and support on what we're doing!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 05:54 AM
Deb that sounds awesome, we can all use advice on how to get our goals going!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 07:49 PM
Okay, here we go. Remember, these are "business" focused because I write on business, but goals are goals, and how you get there is the same, so don't let the business part fool you!

The first part is to set the goals in a measurable, achievable way. The reason for this is so you know when you get there!

So, here's a couple on setting the goals:

How to Set Long Term Goals

and

Goals that make a difference
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 07:55 PM
Once you have your goals set and written, then you create Action plans for them! Action Plans are really road maps to your goals!

Here's the basics of: Action Plans

And, here's an article on Action Plan Tips & Examples (Don't skip this one!)

And, finally, here's a form you can use:

Action Plan Form

Posted By: Athena_Marina Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 08:11 PM
I will adjust them after reading the articles here (great post ideas by the way!) but for now some One Year goals:

UK Residency for me and hubby
Our school to get Healthy Schools Status (of which I play a big part)
Me to go to Russia on a tour for a week in August (I think it's the 11th and I've decided which tour company and which tour etc.)

My husband and I to go to the States again in
October and spend a week visiting: San Francisco, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Yes it would be a bit of a whirlwind but WHAT a whirlwind!
I'd also like to continue to
improve my social life.
Return to
writing group and hopefully get a poem or short story published in their next anthology and maybe even enter a competition!
That will do for now except for one more thing
I want more balance work-wise next school year
(which starts in September.) Yes I have it pretty good but I want even MORE. An easier workload. And to say no to any more extra commitments at work so I can have a year off in a way to just focus on my main job - as a teacher - and on time for me, my friends, husband, other parts of life etc.
Thank you for listening and for starting this topic!
Oh P.S and to donate to several charities even if it's only �10 ($20 USD) each (to increase in the future!!)

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/23/08 08:59 PM
Those are awesome articles, Deb, thanks so much!!

Athena - you should send poems and stories in to our BellaOnline literary review!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Wow, Jill. Those are a lot of goals! I'm just beginning to think of mine and I am just beginning to think about the bigger goals. I hope I'm organized enough soon to get that detailed!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/25/08 01:29 AM
barbara, i've been making to do lists from forever...so for me, it was just whittling things down to what sounded doable and important to my priorities.

I am really, truly tired of just kicking things around and not getting much accomplished.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/27/08 07:24 AM
You are accomplishing things now! I think you should celebrate each evening about the accomplishments of the day!
Gee, thanks for the offer to help with editing, Lisa! I was thinking how cool that would be once I get this first edit done to have some of you give me a read-through.

You know, I never thought about writing any articles about remodeling. Duh! DH is an expert--it's his business. He's a contractor. A slow, perfectionist one. He's built quite a few houses. His father built the one we're living in back in the late '40s/early '50s. It has 3 fireplaces. One in the kitchen, one in the "front" room which was a living room or "parlor." And one in our bedroom! I love it, but it's more work than I need. Four bedrooms and two full baths. When we're finished with it, it'll rent high. It has one acre deeded to it. The total farmis 250 acres, so we have lots of room to build a small cabin to live in. Totally energy effecient.

Great ideas for articles invading my brain now.

I'll be out of launch 3 soon and need to get the ebook ready. I'm so excited!

Thanks for doing this planning and goalsetting with us. It's invaluable. Focusing is really hard for me, with so much going on in my life.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/28/08 08:41 PM
Athena, will you be driving from SF to Vegas and the canyon? You can stay with me en route if so.

Saying no to extra commitments is SO important. Kudos to you if you are getting good at doing that. Any hints how to say no and focus on what you really want to spend time on?

Also yes, you should totally submit some writing to Mused! Use the link Lisa gave you in her post. We'd love to read your work!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/28/08 08:42 PM
true, Lisa, I should be nicer to myself in general and specific! Maybe I SHOULD make a nice ritual to celebrate that I am finally getting somewhere with my life's priorities. smile

Hmmm, the fun part is coming up with a ritual...
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/28/08 08:49 PM
Bettyann - that's awesome!! Definitely, you can start writing the ebooks now smile It takes many months to write an ebook usually, so you have time now to work on it - and then it can be ready when you launch!

I'm so glad this process is helping!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/28/08 08:50 PM
BettyAnn, i bet you could really write some awesome ebooks/articles about remodeling. It's a huge topic with such a large population of interest!

Your other ebook sounds neat also, as well as the special needs site you are working on. Is it ready to look at - can you share the link yet?

And yes, lots of us here are happy to help you read and edit things as needed. smile

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/28/08 08:51 PM
Jill yes! Design a Jilly Ritual to celebrate the progress of each day!! smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/29/08 03:38 AM
maybe my jilly ritual will involve bed yoga, or something like sipping a toast to myself on my deck at night. something will come to me. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/29/08 07:12 AM
Yup I am sure you will come up with the perfect thing!
Posted By: FoxyDawn Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/30/08 08:10 PM
My goals are : Not to take the much load of office work,
Live and let live.
Making other ppl happy.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/30/08 11:15 PM
Those sound like great priorities, Foxy - now let's think about those in terms of actual distinct things to do this year! What could you do this year to make others happy? What could you do this year to reduce your workload?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/02/08 07:14 PM
Hmmm. Amazon seems to update their reviewer rank in spurts. I have suddenly leapfrogged over my one year goal, which was:

8. Break 500,000 in Amazon reviewer rank

My rank is now 248,330, from the mid 800,000s. I am still on a par with people who have far less reviews than I, so I guess it's the waiting for the votes thing.

So on the one hand - yippee! I broke my one year goal in a couple of weeks! But on the other, I need to set an actually realistic one year goal and five year goal. My previous five year amazon goal is to break 100,000 on Amazon.

Someone help me set a realistic set of one year and five year amazon goals?

BTW, Lisa is now down to the esteemed rank of 40!!!!!!!! Wow.
Posted By: bricore Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/02/08 07:47 PM
I want to learn to relax again.

Not worry if our other house sells (ok, I'd love to see it sell in another year's time too..lol.. but if not at least not worry about it.)

Spend more time with my children doing things that they enjoy.

Learn to live on less and be happy.

Get back in shape. One mile a day at least.

Get our solar units up (we have them but they are just sitting here.)

Go to see my family back in Ohio at least once (I'd love to do it more but I need to be real about what I can do. I want to at least make the trip there one time a year.)

If, and when we get our horses from Ohio to Alabama I want to make time for me to enjoy them here. I really do miss them.

Learn to manage my time better (less time on my computer would help..lol..)

Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/02/08 07:58 PM
Woo-hoo! Jilly! You go, girl! This is a great demonstration of one of my key precepts of goal setting (this is a pretty big part of my business), which is that once you put your goals in writing, the universe jumps in to help! So, you review & revise your goals on an ongoing basis. But, you celebrate those victories first! "Happy Dance"

I actually cannot remember how my Amazon ranking progressed, but I have not been reviewing for anywhere near five years--more like 3 and then sporadically/haphazardly at best. And, I'm right at 17,000 with 53 reviews.

So, in five years, you could really be up there. I'm sure it gets harder & longer to move up the higher your ranking--seems I've been in the ballpark of 17,000 forever!

But, really, I'd think 10,000 would be achievable for you. And, maybe even 5,000. It really depends on what you want and how much you want to review.

And, of course, whatever number you choose to aim for can be revised upward as you get there.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/03/08 07:09 AM
Jilly that is *awesome*!! Don't worry about setting accurate long term goals - they are about direction mostly. Make your long term Amazon goal to "get as high as I can in Amazon" for now smile

For your short term goal, use the weight milestone card technique smile Aim for 200,000! Remember, it gets harder as you go up, so take it step by step and see how it goes smile

I hadn't even seen my Amazon change yet smile That's nice! It's a really slow one-by-one creep in this range ...
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/03/08 07:11 AM
Dora - those are great goals! We can definitely help with all of those goals. For the getting in shape we have several active health related forums including walking, low carb, yoga and exercise. Swing on by and we'll cheer you on!

We have tons of ideas for time management. Setting a priority list really helps - write it out and post it by your desk. Then make sure when you're working on things that they are in line with a priority and not something you've been roped into doing. It helps you to say "no" to non-essential things.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/03/08 07:13 AM
Deb that is awesome, I definitely bet you could get into the top 10,000.

A different kind of aim would be to search on Amazon on your topic key word - for example "walking" - and then find a way to review every one of the top 10 results. That way no matter which book someone clicked on, your review would be there giving you free publicity smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/03/08 08:59 PM
Hmm. Okay, thanks for the encouragement guys! Okay, so my new One Year Goal is to hit the teens in Amazon. Five Year Goal to break 10,000.

Short term goal is to break 200,000 as Lisa suggests. How often do they reconfigure these rankings? Once a month?

Lisa, I wonder how low you can get. It's exciting to watch.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/04/08 08:15 PM
Reassessing my one year goals:

1. "Have begun art portfolio" - it's not time yet. It feels like autumn will be the time to start

2. "Both our credit scores are good" - we've ordered them and they are still quite poor. I found that although I am out of default now on my student loans, they need to have me sign an official paper stating so, and THEN they will report my good behavior to the credit companies. I am awaiting the paperwork. YAY! On DH's front I am having trouble getting his scores in - we don't remember his security info from the last time we did this. They keep locking us out. So that is at a stall right now.

3. "All my stuff from Arizona is here" - My MIL has agreed to run out with me and at least unload my storage and get things from my friend's house. The next step is to figure out how to get her here (it costs us 75 bucks in gas to go and pick her up and drop her off in LA). Also, driving across the desert right now is a horrible idea and this may have to be shelves until September.

4. "I have one or two ebooks up in Cosmetics" - just adding articles at this time

5. "JillFlorio.com is up to date with all old articles and current ones and back online" - the site is still offline while I think about hiring someone to make a nice design for it

6. "Cosmetics site is preloaded through end of the year" - not my first priority right now but am loaded through the month at least

7. "Crestline Living is up to date and number one google result for crestline" - this has been a big priority. I am adding content almost every day and using my social networks and misc blogs to promote it. I hired someone to make me a nicer design. I ordered free business cards from vista print and paid for 14-day shipping. I am still not ranking with google, but the specific searches are going well. Traffic is rising and i am number one for 'crestline basics.' I still doen't show up anywhere for just 'crestline' or even 'crestline ca.'

8. "Break 500,000 in Amazon reviewer rank" - broke this to the 200,000s already - yay! So new goal is to hit the teens in one year. Am adding tons of old reviews from previous articles, plus new reviews every few days.
9. Earning $1000 a month from my various projects - still totally broke. I think I am earning a hundred or two a month.

10. "go camping with dan or alone at least every three weeks" - we made plans through September so far smile

11. "Have an accountant/tax person and all business/taxes will be well in hand and no longer a source of confusion and stress" - hired a friend to take all this on. Sent her a retainer. Compiling a package of all my info and receipts/donations to send next.

12. "Up to intermediate level yoga poses" - I don't really know when one can say they are there, but I really can do most of the intermediate poses. So revised goal is to be comfortably solid in the Intermediate camp in a year and playing around with Advanced poses.

13. "Office will be organized" - haven't started

14. "Kitchen/utility room will be organized" - haven't started

15. "Will have new flooring, ceiling fan and wall paint done" - we have hired a neighbor to help us with the last of the carpet and staples and to paint the wall. have not set a date yet. The fan is a sticking point - we actually need a legal contractor for that. Have not decided what to do about replacing the floor yet.

16. "Will have tried all local yoga classes and reviewed them for crestline living" - This is going well! I have gathered all the information and scheduled out when to go to what classes. I have a few down already - this is fun!

17. "Will no longer find getting packages to me as a nightmare" - finally!!! it took six months but we figured something out that is working. This is such an unbelievable relief! smile

18. "Will have several control journals created and in use, including emergency plan journal" - Dh and I talked about our emergency plans (where we will meet, what we will grab) but we still need to write out an Action Plan and update our emergency kits. Fire is a huge danger up here.

19. "Weight down to 120 to stay there, with under 20% fat levels" - using the Milestone Sign weight loss plan, seems to be going there. I am trying to made sure I have a salad each day but keep forgetting.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/04/08 09:18 PM
Amazon rankings seem to update every week or two, you'll see as you go!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/04/08 09:21 PM
Jill - on your Crestline site you don't have ANY links anywhere that simply say "crestline" so Google has no way of knowing that site is a great match for that one word. It can't guess smile Also your title has crestline, with a comma in it. And the words "Life In" which nobody would search on, so that dilutes the value.

I would change the title to just

Crestline California

nobody would search on CrestlineLiving so that is only hurting you.

Then add a link to EVERY PAGE - maybe in the footer - that says just "crestline" and links to your homepage. Have the "front page" link say that too. Having a link that says "front page" is meaningless to Google. smile At least have it say "Crestline Main Page" or something smile

Did you know that one of your most importantly featured links - the "archive" link in the top menu bar - goes to a 404 page? smile

Make those changes and I bet you'll see results quickly smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/04/08 09:47 PM
Great ideas, thank you!!!!

I updated the tag:
Crestline California - Living in the San Bernardino Mountain Towns

Quote:

Did you know that one of your most importantly featured links - the "archive" link in the top menu bar - goes to a 404 page? smile

I have no idea how to fix this.

Quote:

Then add a link to EVERY PAGE - maybe in the footer - that says just "crestline" and links to your homepage. Have the "front page" link say that too. Having a link that says "front page" is meaningless to Google. smile At least have it say "Crestline Main Page" or something smile

Okay, I also don't know what exactly you are saying to do.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/05/08 07:53 PM
While I try to figure out how to change things like Lisa suggested on my blog, I am re-opening jillflorio.com. I need to figure out how to make some kind of design for it and figure out how to add articles.

I might just use a blog template as that is the level of comprehension i can deal with - you just click on "write" and it adds your post when you say "publish."

Once this is done I can find my tons of old articles and add them. My fish stuff and living simply stuff is already on it, but I have ten years worth of published works to compile, plus all my new amazon reviews. And then I can link it to crestlineliving and vice versa and in my bios here.

I will have a lot of yoga DVD/Book reviews to add - it will be nice to have a new featured section. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/06/08 07:56 PM
Okay, I asked DH to fix my archive link, done. Now I am asking him about the other things Lisa mentioned.

Update - okay all those things are fixed. If anyone has any other suggestions for my site I would love to hear them. smile
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/06/08 09:22 PM
Looks great, and when I "searched" Crestline Living, you were on the second page, top listing. So that's great! You'll be number one in no time!

There's no way to contact you (except via comments) or even know who you are on the site, though. So, I think a bio page or about us or something would work nicely to help people feel the "friendly" vibe you are going for. You could even add a "reported by Jill Florio" line to your posts.

Maybe you want to retain anonymity for reviews, I don't know, but some people might not like leaving comments but want to say "good job" or "come review my class" or something.

Just an observation.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/06/08 09:42 PM
Deb, thank you, this is all great. Yes, there is nothing about ME on the site at this point. basically i feel foolish as there is hardly any content up yet, so I am lying low. But eventually i will feel proud enough of the site to actually tell people about it, and at that point i can add info about me, yes? Or should i now?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/06/08 09:45 PM
HUH, where did you search? For crestline living i am the number one hit for google, first page.

But nobody is going to search for crestline living, i suppose. What do you think people will search for - crestline, crestline CA, town of crestline, crestline mountains, crestline basics, crestline info...?
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/06/08 10:33 PM
Oops, I was on the yahoo search. I have both in my toolbar. I searched crestline living with the space in between the two words.

Let's look on Google keyword tool & see what they are searching for! Well, for "crestline ca" there are 84 terms. So, you want to narrow & focus the search some more. Here's the link to the tool if you don't have it: (BTW, you only have to do the security thing one time per session.)

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

You can play around with various terms that work for you & feature them in your articles. First, put your web address in there (second box) to see what keywords you already have--interesting. Then, put keywords you want to focus on to see what is "out there".

And, another keyword tool I use is wordtracker:

Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/06/08 10:34 PM
And, yes, I would totally already put the bio in there. For one thing, you can add links to your work here and vice versa! And, nobody expects award winning websites to be build overnight. Your audience in fact would probably love to follow your growth!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 02:13 AM
My one-year goals:

Five minutes to one hour of yoga a day every day.
Eat healthy, mostly veggies and protein.
Lose 20 pounds.
Stop eating junk late at night. Nothing after 9 pm.
Walk or equivalent of 30 minute walk/five times a week.
Complete Women Run Memphis Program and 5K in Sept.
Savings: First pay off debts (about $3,200), then increase savings deduction to $200 a month.
If I eventually hope to get married, I suppose I have to date. So, say yes more.
Compile SOHO ebook and begin walking ebook.
Schedule two drinks meetings to talk about networking group.
Increase cross-marketing of content among different social sites.
Reach top 10,000 in Amazon reviewers.
Posted By: 1stclasscleaning Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 07:33 AM
hello
this year i have to achieved proper reputation in my business
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 09:51 AM
Deb, those are well-thought out goals and totally achievable in one year! You have so much energy and enthusiasm that I am sure several will happen much more quickly than a year. smile

Some thoughts -
- has Lisa made you a weight milestone sign?
- I started a food log in the low carb forum
- do you have personal websites I can link to?
- are you twittering?
- I met my husband through match.com, if you were wondering if that works for people (ask me about it if ya like)
- use the yoga log in the yoga forum to let us know what you did when you do it, even if it's a few downdogs and that's it
- I think you have some amazing stuff to pull together already for a walking ebook. Just saying. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 09:54 AM
Deb, thanks for the ideas. I put my bio up in there and in jillflorio.com. Tomorrow JF will get a new theme...so it will let better than the current WordPress template that's going so far.

I also added links to JF from my own works and those of personal friends. smile
Posted By: joanj Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 01:08 PM
I've been reading John Assaraf's new book, The Answer, which is about using the Law of Attraction to build a business. It's made me realize I do need to set more specific goals about where I want to be one year from now.

Great ideas Jill! I have used Twitter for my blog but hadn't thought of using it to pursue goals.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 06:22 PM
Thanks Joan! Several of us have been using twitter to mention when we are working on our goals, and as we are reaching small successes in our goals, and to cheerlead each other. It's helpful.

My twitter is hippygeek if anyone wants to follow me. smile
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 07:08 PM
Thanks, Jilly! You are too kind, but I appreciate it!

I made my own milestone sign when Lisa started talking about losing her five pounds, but I think there's one on the post that works for me, too (and is prettier!). I was premenstrual, so losing weight wasn't happening last week!

Tonight, I start my 5k walk/run training! I'm so hoping my knee and hip hold up with the running. I'm ready with ice & linaments!

I hate food logs, so much accounability! LOL--I started on on paper last week and abandoned it because I couldn't stand to write it all down! It's the stupid late night stuff--always. Geesh!

Love the yoga log idea, though--I'll totally do that!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 09:37 PM
JillFlorio.com has a new theme - whacha think so far?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/07/08 09:41 PM
Deb, good luck with the 5k training! What are you going to do to train?

I am getting prepped for mine too. It's too hot to run outside but I am using my treadmill at night. I have finally been able to get up to 2.5 mph without having my pulled groin hurt. So i just have to try to get to 3.0 and that will be running, and track it for 5 kilometers.

Although, honeslty i would be happy to walk mine, but i want to see how running goes with my groin thing.
Posted By: trytrynomore Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/08/08 05:33 AM
-Finish school with great grades (A's and B's).
-Start attending church regularly.
-Pay off the couch and have no more than $2,000 in credit debt.
-Grow my hair for one year without freaking and cutting it almost all off.
-Stick with one hair color, no more 3-6 different haircolors in one year.(Last year I was blond, blond highlights over medium brown, strawberry blonde, red head, black and now medium brown. Crazy right? I get emotional and dye my hair, I think it's a control issue really.
-Finish painting the kitchen! (We did everything but the wall space under the cabinets/above the counter.)
-Finish with Physical Therapy. (I was hit by a car back in february, I'm doing good now, back to work, but still lots of limitations and pain, hence the PT.)
-Be well on my way to being less than 200 lbs, if not lower.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/08/08 08:23 PM
Okay, my Jilly Ritual is now established. Right before bed I go out on the big deck and look at the sparkling city lights below in the distance. And I give myself an imaginary toast and thank myself for being a good doobie. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/16/08 05:12 AM
Today I checked my amazon rank and there was another jump. Yay! From 248,330 to 176,136. smile smile smile

So i passed the 200,000 milestone we'd mentioned some posts ago and now my new goal is to break 90,000.

I am still ranked with people who have 2, 4 or 7 reviews (I now have 60). I guess it's still mostly about the votes if people with 2 reviews are in the same category.

Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/16/08 03:07 PM
Well, you now have more reviews than me, so you'll move up fast, I'm sure. They probably don't want to leap you forward too much! LOL--who knows??
Posted By: Athena_Marina Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/16/08 06:58 PM
Sorry Jilly just read your reply now (D'OH!) Not sure HOW we are getting there yet. Hubby (who is Egyptian) will come back from a holiday in his native Egypt in October (he goes there in September) and then we will be figuring it out. Ah you are so kind!!!!

Re the workload today I figured out something. I still have my fingers in a couple of pies I started off with so I am going to say that I am focussing on THESE things plus my class (I am a teacher, the other things I will focus on is Healthy Eating and walking to school - which I started on this school year) and I have just finished helping my school get a prestigious (apparently!) award so I will tell anyone who tries to dump NEW projects in my lap that these are the things I am focussing on this year so I cannot take more on. Unfortunately saying I want a better work-life balance etc. doesn't seem to go down too well. Tried that with a person outside the school who is a guide with the award I just did. She wants me to do a one year course in something that does NOT come with a guaranteed pay increase so I am NOT
interested - it's been
something every year for at least three years now in a row!
I said
I want to have more time
for my life OUTSIDE work for fun, social life, learning languages etc. but she didn't seem to get it!
Posted By: Athena_Marina Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/16/08 07:00 PM
There's also a cooking thing, teaching the kids to cook. I HATE cooking - hubby cooks for us - and I said I wanted someone who LOVES it to do the course (a different course) or we shouldn't do it and I found two people who are VERY keen to do it and LOVE to cook!! So, delegating there, kinda.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/10/08 06:21 AM
Delegating is awesome. We all should only do the things we really love in our time. Time is very precious smile It's easy to get sucked into things we don't like 'just because'. It's very worth it to say "sorry I have something else I really love to do".
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/27/08 11:46 PM
Good news! My Amazon rank made another leap...I went from 108,327 to 47,226! My next milestone had been to make it under the 99,000 rank, and there it went, very quickly.

That inspired me to post more reviews yesterday. I now have almost 90 reviews and they are all real, full-length critiques.

My goal by May 09 is to make it to the teens. So my next realistic shorter-term goal is to break 20k. I imagine it gets harder to drill through the ranks as you go along.

Another short term goal is to have more than 100 reviews up in the next two months.

In other news, in my quest to get my crestline living site highly ranked, I am now 3rd from the top on page one of google for "crestline california", 3rd from the top on page two for the search term "Crestline CA." For just 'crestline' I am on page 3. These are really great advances for me, as I was previously really buried for those terms before.

I don't have anything positive to add in my other goals, but those did make me happy. It was nice to come home from traveling and see that I am getting somewhere.
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/28/08 01:04 AM
Jilly - Congratulations on your Amazon standings. That jump was outrageous! Being listed just third on the Google searches for the Crestline site is also amazing. You have to be so proud of yourself for both accomplishments. That's really exciting stuff.

My goals are...
1. To get my dog to walk again with me.
2. To plan out and paint another large scale painting in 2009.
3. To get outdoors more often with my digital camera and take more pictures.
4. To help my son through his next year of college.
5. To be a more involved sister and aunt.
6. To find interesting topics to write about for the Creativity site.
7. To pray more on a daily basis for those suffering in the world.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/28/08 06:02 PM
Thanks Deb. It was really a shining light for me to see those things had happened, and all while I was traveling. I guess a watched pot *doesn't* boil! smile

Those are really nice goals for you. I love the idea of the large scale painting!!! And of getting outside with your camera. I need to do more art too.

Do you have specific baby steps to getting somewhere with 1, 4, 5 and 6? I am all about the baby steps.

Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/29/08 01:07 AM
It's helpful to break things down to baby steps...thanks Jilly.

1. To get my dog walking again (since she was attacked), I've been taking her for a ride in the car to a small wetland with a walk around it. I've gotten her out of the car a few times and gotten her to walk half way around the wetland on a leash. 1/2 the time we've gone she's frozen up and pulled back to the car, but I'm working with her on a daily basis. My baby steps are to not give in to her when she pulls back and wants to go back to the car. I have to at least get her to walk a little bit for exercise.

4. To help my son through the next year of college - I keep in contact with my son to make sure he is doing ok and isn't stressing out over college work levels, but I need to call him more often than a few times a week. I need to bug him once a day to check in on him. I do well being available for him via cell phone and computer in case he needs me to download any papers and look them over as a 2nd set of eyes before he turns them in. I pick up food for him and put food money on a debit card for him so he doesn't have to worry about food expenses. So my baby steps are to call him every day.

5. Being a more involved sister and aunt - I'm afraid I live in my own little world and usually don't talk to any of my siblings, nieces or nephew unless they call me. I'm somewhat hermetic. In fact I don't talk to one of my sisters at all. And the only reason I've been in contact with my brother lately is because he had a stroke. I would like to pick the phone up once a week and call at least one sibling or a niece or nephew. That's my new baby-step goal to make one call a week to a relative.

6. Find Interesting Topics for the Creativity Site - I've been in touch with an author that has an exciting book that just came out, who wants me to review it for the site. I also am reading a lot of other books to review for the site. There will be more reviews coming up. I also will be reviewing music CD's. I have Feather Box's that I designed that will go on the site as well as Swedish Weaving. I will be interviewing a few musicians in the near future. I posted a poll of what topics readers would like. I got a few suggestions.

P.S. Jilly - I've been meaning to say how much I've enjoyed the incredible photography that you and your husband have both published in Mused. Your photographs are breathtaking and make the viewer feel they are "right there".
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/29/08 01:39 PM
Well Jilly I am certainly inspired! I just posted review #3 on Amazon I believe. I did those three over the weekend and will definitely be going over old columns to write more. I must have talked about 100 books since I've been doing the life coaching site. It's time to transfer some of this info to both my blog and amazon.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 10/23/08 10:52 PM
My update:

* My next shorter term goal was to break in to the 20ks at Amazon - reached 28K this week. ! Yeah! Teens are coming next! I have until May 09 so I think i will get there. I still haven't posted 100 reviews yet - I seem to do reviews in batches. I am waiting for the next time I feel inspired to make a batch.

* Taxes - there's been some crazy IRS stuff. I finally filled out my 2007 forms and need to figure out where to hand them in. ASAP. I hope I can do this tomorrow on my way out of town. We don't like heading down the mountain unless we have to - gas is too expensive! I also need to figure out how to roll my 2001 penalty into the rest of my penalty plan. AND got to get together with my new taxes person to figure out how to get 08 in order. I don't want to be late, ever again.

* Stuff in storage - we are heading to AZ this weekend to pick up our things from storage. We've rented a uhaul trailer ($200! Yeeps). We arranged to stay with a friend for two nights and to see some people while out there. Just need to pack a few things tonite. We won't be getting my RV this trip, but i'd like to grab a few things from it. So I will still have to make another trip out there soon.

* Organizing Utility/Laundry Room - this has been a fun project and I am almost done. I am pleased with how this came out. YAY me!

* Paint Living Room - the kid we hired never ever showed up. So I just did it myself last week. I've never done anything like this before and it was trail and error. But my accent wall came out lovely and DH really approves too. As far as the flooring, this will wait. The economy is too sucky right now. And we decided to return the ceiling fan and just use the one that is up already (get our $119 back from Lowes).

* Office organized - I did most of it but still need to set aside time to do the drawers. I documented my office cleaning here -BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 10/25/08 09:33 PM
Well, an update already -

1. we didn't end up going to get our storage stuff. So that is still looming over us.

2. I did drop off the tax forms in person at the IRS. I need to ask my old tax lawyer if I need to follow up on this with a phone call.

3. My new amazon rank (there's been a re-arranging) is now 5,217!!! WOW! SO i need to set a new goal for May 09. I am going to see about getting under 1k. Although with the new ranking algorimthms, i really have no idea if this is realistic or not.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/04/08 09:52 AM
That is awesome with the Amazon rank Jilly! I am sure the other items will sort out over time. Gas here has gone from $4/gallon to $2.30/gallon so it is getting cheaper than it's been in years smile

That is so awesome on your home improvements!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/04/08 10:03 AM
My goals -

My inbox is really getting under control!! I have tons of messages in "to do" folders, but they are so much easier to sort through now that they're organized. I take deliberate steps every day to make my email load lighter.

I've made progress in the sweepstakes area - still need to work on that.

Social networking is going pretty smoothly now.

Still finishing up the Native Americans book.

I have six medieval novels done and out to six different publishers (one to each) and am waiting on responses.

The house is getting organized! One room at a time!

I put off accepting all origami orders for about 2 months to get the rest of my life caught up. I'm just about ready to start responding to people to see who wants projects done now.

I did get down under 130, then up again. I'm at 133.8. I am finding ways to exercise and stretch and will keep that up!

I got a guitar and have been trying to practice a bit every day or two. I got sheet music for Moonlight Sonata for my piano, and really do intend to go up and start learning it smile

It would be nice to get into Amazon's top 10 ranking, I'm currently #11 smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/04/08 10:05 AM
Oh! And I did two pages of drawings, so I am making progress on practicing drawing smile

Reminder - once you finish with your yearly goals, it's time to start working on the goals! Here is the link to the current goals planning and support!

Posted By: jamesuzbek Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/04/08 11:32 AM
My target of this year is grow my business and open branches in diffrent cities.
OK here are my one year goals:-

To get into the top 1000 at amazon.com and top 250 at amazon.co.uk.

To have my bedroom sorted and tidied. Yes it's in that much of a mess!

To have the garden sorted out.

To get the classical music site here going properly.

To get the gillianbuchanan.com web site and set it up so that all my online content can be found there, plus set up a knitting site and get the origami site (which has been a long time in planning) organised.

To get my e-books of Sasha doll, fashion doll knitting patterns and tatting content back online.

To write an e-book about Mozart's Magic Flute.

To have 50 Squidoo lenses organised and up to date.

To reduce the online gaming time to not more than two hours per day.

To lose 1 stone in weight.

To be walking for half an hour a day.

Find online web sites to teach French and Italian and learn one new word/phrase per day.
Posted By: Nita42 Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/16/08 02:49 PM
I only have a couple of goals in mind right now, the first is to go to college and since I am getting a late start [I'm 41 years old} I really need to get motivated fast, and I need to start getting more exercise which will hopefully give me the energy to work and go to school at the same time
Originally Posted By: Nita42
I only have a couple of goals in mind right now, the first is to go to college and since I am getting a late start [I'm 41 years old} I really need to get motivated fast, and I need to start getting more exercise which will hopefully give me the energy to work and go to school at the same time

Good for you, Nita! I'm 41, too, and thinking of going *back* to school to get a masters. I haven't decided if I'm goign to do it or not .... but I am inspired by you!
Posted By: George Smith Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/28/08 06:27 PM
Hi Kids:

It is so easy to put off "until tomorrow" that which causes us stress and anxiety. I for one have been procrastinating over going back to school. I am 54 and have been working on my BA in Psychology for over six years now during night school. Since I have gotten my Certificate in Counseling and that is what I need for my job, I put my BA on the back burner. My Gosh 3 units away and I have yet to finish! I will have to re-register this coming semester and tough it out. Good luck to you all in this next year and meet each challenge as it arises.
I have two books going right now. One on Autism and connecting with these kids on a "different level" of communication. The other, a simple book (very simple) book dealing with finding and working with your own abilities/intuition.

I'm 30 pages in, so it should not be too difficult to finish.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/30/08 05:54 AM
Goals update -

It's interesting, looking at my list. Some things are harder than I thought they'd be. And some things I really don't care as much about as i thought I did then. I think I will need to really re-evaluate them and start fresh.

What do you guys think? Anyone else experiencing this?
New one year goal: Starting Jan 1st I want to make everything I touch or use, or as much as possible. Yes - something positive came of this recession - at least for me.

Making my own perfumes, cosmetics, clothing, more cooking, etc...

No more spending or overspending at stores or online. Limiting my time in restaurants - or at least what I eat in them - no more $15.99 for a meal when I could pay that price for a few meals at home.

I will be keeping a diary and hoping to keep at it for a full year to make it a habit.

Yes, I should be losing weight, getting more exercise, etc - but I know I won;t stick with it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/02/08 07:35 AM
Definitely reevaluating your goals is a good thing to do every once in a while! It can definitely be that our live takes a new direction, and that is quite fine smile It's good to release that goal, rather than worry about something that really isn't important to you any more!

To the person who wanted to start college at 41 - go ahead and do it! People graduate from college in their 80s. Education is an eternal process. You always should be learning smile

I still have not started on Moonlight Sonata!! The music room is so stuffed with junk I can't get in to my piano. Very sad. However my mail is really getting in great shape! My finances are just about organized. The monthly file backups are going smoothly. So I feel like I'm making a lot of progress.

I did get all my origami orders organized! So now I just have to watch for payments to come in, and get them done - and I can finally make mobiles again! So that will let me catch up on a few pending orders.

I haven't done any drawing since I did two pages of "red items". I wanted to scan those in to show to you guys before moving on to a new color and never got around to slicing up the image I scanned. I should just keep drawing and worry about scanning in later smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/07/08 12:38 AM
Okay, i am starting my No Complaining again. I feel more stable emotionally and ready to try again. Moved it once this afternoon but hoping to stay on top of things for the rest of the day. we will see.

I also need to set aside some time to go over my revised year's goals, check in with my priorities and see if I am still on track.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/14/08 04:45 PM
That is awesome Jilly! It is such a great thing to work on. Kudos to you!

The end of the year is a perfect time to revisit your goals and see if they need tweaking!

I actually started playing Moonlight Sonata - I got a "path" to the keyboard clear in the music room! Tiny bits of progress!
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/23/08 01:45 AM
I'm reading a great book now called the "Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt Free Play" by Neil Fiore.

This is a wonderful resource!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/01/09 11:33 AM
Make sure you work on your five year goals before taking on this one year goal task!

I'm looking at the goals I set for myself in 2008 to see how well I did, and what I want to do for 2009!

* Mail Management
I am very proud of how much HUGE effort I have put into this task. I used to regularly get over 1,000 messages in my inbox with none being spam. Every day I have worked to unsubscribe myself from newsletters, to shut off streams I really didn't need. I am getting down to a very manageable level.

* Sweepstakes
It took a ton of effort but it is completely caught up! There are still a few sponsors I need to work with but everything is mailed out, the subscriber list is cleaned up, I am very content here.

* Social Networking
They are in good shape, I have been updating Twitter which then updates Facebook. Hurrah!

* Weddings & Courtships: Native Americans
I really have emotional difficulties "finishing" this book. I love working on it. The topic area is SO huge that I hate to end it and leave out tribes. I have to just accept it as done and send it in to the publisher. Soon.

* Romance Novels
All 8 books are out to publishers. I have to keep resubmitting them until one gets published.

* House Mess
I have worked every day to put things on CraigsList, eBay or send them to friends. I have been very proactive. I have to keep it up.

* Origami
My origami queue is completely caught up. I need to send out a batch of 30 cranes this weekend and I am all set. Hurrah!

* Exercise
I am nearly at 130 and am doing sword class weekly. I do want to do daily yoga practice. I will focus on that.

* Journaling
I am journaling every morning when I wake up, with my to-do lists. I am journaling every evening when I go to bed, with my achievements and gratitudes. It really is helping a lot. I will keep at that.

So those were my things from 2008 which I still agree with completely. Are there new things for 2009? I will ponder that!

What do you guys have on your short term list for 2009, once you have worked up the long term / 5 year list?
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/02/09 03:51 PM
Congratulations to you Lisa!!!!! Great Job!!!

For 2009, I want to work on (and I'm doing this through a FREE online self help program on www.toolstolife.com)

1)Beautifying Work and home space

2)Organize myself so that I'm writing for at least 4 hours a day. (eventual goal of 8 hours a day)

3)Get up at 5 am every day

4)Go window shopping twice a week

5)Excercise every day

6)Have more self-love by luxoriating in accomplishments/milestones large or small.

Posted By: Melissa Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/02/09 05:31 PM
Okay, so from my *huge* five year goal list I need to figure out what I can realistically do in just 2009. Here goes (this might be a long post):

*physically fit*
Since this started last spring, I have re-signed up for the gym again (something I let go by the wayside when I was really struggling with my fibromyalgia and had to go to PT for a while). But now that I have it reasonably under control I have been able to do something I had never been able to do in my life: run on a treadmill! Having taken the past five years to work up from cycling to elliptical I finally made the transition to the treadmill and am able to run in spurts for up to an hour at a time. So awesome! I can already feel an enormous difference in my body and am looking forward to continuing with that and my strength traning and good eating habits to "reveal" a strong and nice looking body come swimsuit season. So that is my goal for this year. To be able to look in the mirror and like what I see and to feel strong in my body instead of struggling under the weakness of fibromyalgia and asthma and feeling so disabled. I also think that my goal of 175 is probably reachable with this new physical skill (being six feet tall 175 is the weight I was in high school and a healthy one for me - also not what I have been able to maintain since I gave birth to my daughter).

"financiall sound"
Well, since my goals of getting rid of debt won't be able to be completed until 2012 by my figures, I guess staying the course is my goal here along with re-prioritizing and budgeting my auto-savings. I think having $5000 in savings by the end of the year is a reasonable goal with my entry level counseling income. I also need to get back on the "track every penny" wagon and work toward getting the fee for service incentives at work for seeing more clients over full productivity.

"making a difference"
I need to sit for my LCSW exam and get my license

Take the EMDR trauma training in the spring and become EMDR certified

Look into CBT training and certificates

I need to prepare for and take my PhD entrance exams in the fall and apply to the programs I want at Boston College, Harvard and UMass by December 1 and see what happens.

I would like to continue to teach and perhaps develop a sociology course for my college and submit it for review by the summer.

Stay in contact with my political contacts and strengthen my social capitol network. Prepare a fundraising plan and timeline for my political plans and apply for the women in politics training next winter.

Finish the final draft of my SF book and submit to publishers and agents. Outline the second fiction book to prepare for NaNoWriMo next November.

Continue writing nonfiction articles regularly

Expand my garden next spring and invest in indoor gardening for next fall

Become more dedicated to recycling and composting and get the entire family on board

Continue with purchasing local meat. Find local grain, milk and egg suppliers. Look into getting chickens.

Make a five year financial plan to include solar panel installation, geothermal installation and eco friendly transportation alternatives and begin to follow it.

Hmmm *stands back and looks at it*. Looks good to me. Now to get to work.
Posted By: LesFex Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 05:28 AM
Improve my English and
To learn a piano
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 02:23 PM
Leah - those are great goals!

I'm curious - what had you create the window shopping goal?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 02:24 PM
Melissa - we love long posts! That looks like you put a lot of work into it, which is great!

What is your SF book about? I adore SF and have written short stories but never even thought about a full length one. That is awesome that you've done that!!
Posted By: Laurie PK Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 03:12 PM
All my goals are work-related -- my husband had to twist my arm to make personal goals! Those are to contact my friends weekly, and to accept myself just the way I am :-)
Posted By: Melissa Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 04:48 PM
Thanks Lisa. Sometimes I really get into this planning stuff. LOL.

My story - Miridia is set in the future when a global government on Earth has ended in warfare with itself and hired a neuro-biologist who develops a weapon that then ends up poisoning his wife so he defects and heads to a space colony to finda cure. The resulting story questions scientific ethics and multi-culturalism as we learn more about the natives of the planet that Earth has colonized. I love SF for its potential to explore current social issues in "what if" scenarios. The draft is completed at 129K words but I need to finish tightening up the plot and cleaning up the draft.

What are your short stories about?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 05:28 PM
That sounds like a really cool story Melissa - I'll definitely buy a copy when you get it published!

My short stories are in Mused!

Mused - Literary Review
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/09 05:29 PM
Laurie - you definitely want to have personal goals too! Business is great - but you want to have other interests as well to keep you balanced. How about any hobbies or interests? Music? Drawing? Writing?
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/04/09 02:25 AM
Lisa,

I used to love to window shop, then I allowed a friend suggest to me that it's "depressing" to look but not buy. But it's not to me! I don't mind just walking through stores--books, clothes, appliances etc) soaking up the atmosphere and not spending a dime.

I really want to get rid of way, way more stuff than I want to purchase, but it's so much fun to look! Makes me feel good, so I want to do more of it this year.
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/04/09 02:28 AM
Melissa,

Sounds like an interesting story. Must keep you busy for hours dreaming up plot lines and scenarios.

I also write short stories--Confessions. I've had a few published. Probably one a year since 2004, but I haven't submitted anything lately.
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/04/09 02:30 AM
Laurie,

Yes hubby is right, personal goals are very important and like Lisa said, it's good to balance professional and personal goals. Gurus like Stephen Covey swear by this concept.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/12/09 02:28 PM
OK I realized I never actually posted goals for 2009. Here is what I have!

2009 one-year goals

* Mail Management
Work through ALL to-do / backlog lists

* Social Networking
Update all regularly

* Weddings & Courtships: Native Americans
Finish this book

* Romance Novels
Get one of my 8 books published

* House Mess
Get all "unused" stuff out of the house.

* Exercise
Find some form of exercise daily - yoga, biking, dancing, etc. Get to 125 pounds.

* Journaling
Maintain morning to-do journal and evening gratitude journal

* Music
Practice guitar and piano at least twice a week each
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/14/09 04:13 PM
Oh I like that, a morning "To-Do" journal and an evening "Gratitude" journal.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/15/09 08:35 PM
My life has changed so completely in a few months that I am afraid of actually sitting down with paper and reorganizing my priorities and goals. I have so much to deal with right now with the lifestyle change of moving into an RV and living on the road. It occupies every waking hour. Everything else is being put off until we are out of the house at the end of Feb and living on the road.

not sure if it makes sense for me to think about anything else right now, not even my goals. Thoughts?
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/19/09 01:58 PM
Oh I hear you loud and clear Jill. I once read a book, where a character moved to a new country and failed to write a friend for a very long time. He did not write because he said everything was so new, he felt like he was "drowning" in the new experience. When he finally was able to tread water (and had some perspective) that is when he wrote to his friend.

Sometimes I go into survival mode--I think we all do. I say, no thinking about long range plans, strict schedules, I put aside many of my self help rules just do what needs to be done that day. I usually set a limit this time. I say, in one week, two weeks I'll get back on track again.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/20/09 01:39 AM
Yup definitely survival mode sounds apt for Jill! Just get through February for now. Don't worry about long term goals until you are through that process!

That being said, if there is any way to have a journal to write in, I think it'll really help. That way when you feel stressed or angsted or anything else, you can release that energy. Don't force yourself to write in it - but I think having something to write in when you need to will help!
Originally Posted By: Jilly
My life has changed so completely in a few months that I am afraid of actually sitting down with paper and reorganizing my priorities and goals. I have so much to deal with right now with the lifestyle change of moving into an RV and living on the road. It occupies every waking hour. Everything else is being put off until we are out of the house at the end of Feb and living on the road.

not sure if it makes sense for me to think about anything else right now, not even my goals. Thoughts?

Wow, I missed this somehow... that's exciting!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/22/09 09:24 PM
I am feeling enthused, I really do work towards each goal each week and even if it's tiny steps I feel like I am making progress!

Mail is my biggest focus, to get through the backlog. My daily incoming mail is staying under control, and I need to choose a backlog folder each day and plow through it!
My One Year Goals - I posted this in the wrong forum before:).

1. Apply to the Peace Corp and three graduate programs
2. Start actively selling on my Etsy shop and make it successful
3. Work consistently on my Clayton College Degree
4. Finish the bulk of if not all of my 101 things in 1001 days challenge that is complete in Nov. 2009
5. Wittle down my debt and increase my credit score
6. Plant a balcony garden
7. At least double my 2008 income
8. Maintain my healthy body and continue to tone and exercise
9. Create a beautiful, comfortable oasis of a home in my next apartment

smile...this all makes me smile to think of it all happening:)!

Thanks!
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/23/09 02:37 AM
Leah,

That's a nice balance of professional/personal goals. I love the balcony garden idea.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/25/09 05:31 AM
Those are great ideas Leah!

I am interested in the Etsy shop idea too. Maybe we should set up a thread on the topic in the SOHO forum, I'll go do that now!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/31/09 03:54 AM
OK I have set up an etsy shop thread and an etsy shop!

Come here for more info and to get help with your own etsy shop!

Etsy Shop Forum Thread
Very cool Lisa! I will check out the thread!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/07/09 03:17 AM
Who else has specific things on their one-year-goal list that they'd like help with! I feel like I'm making progress with my own lists which is very satisfying! I actually went to a three hour wine tasting today where I had an "origami booth" to promote my origami. It's something that makes me very nervous, and I am glad I did it!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/08/09 07:58 PM
Congrats Lisa! That's great that you faced your fears. And happy birthday too.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/10/09 02:07 AM
Thanks Jill! Yes I am making progress, one small step at a time smile

I got my kiln in today! So now I can make silver origami jewelry! I am so psyched smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/10/09 11:39 PM
OMG you got a kiln! That is AWESOME. I am very excited for you and can't wait to see the goodies you make. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/10/09 11:40 PM
What did you do in your booth, BTW? Did you make origami for people? Did you sell your DVD? I bet people loved talking to you.
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/11/09 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
Thanks Jill! Yes I am making progress, one small step at a time smile

I got my kiln in today! So now I can make silver origami jewelry! I am so psyched smile

Now that IS interesting. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/26/09 10:08 PM
I've documented all the steps in choosing and using my kiln here -

PMC and Kilns

It really is a lot of fun. Now that my tests are done, I can progress into actual production.

The origami booth was fun, I didn't sell anything there. Mostly I talked with people, gave away free cranes and business cards. Which is a start. I considered it good practice in getting over my shyness.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/18/09 06:47 PM
I am glad it was fun and good for you in feeling less shy. smile

Did you pay for the booth? I guess you were banking on getting future sales?
Posted By: Sadiyya Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/19/09 06:15 PM
1. Rewrite all the articles on the Islam Site.
2. Get 3 more autopilot income streams set up.
3. Loose 22lb and firm up.
4. Do one thing each day to boost my children's self-esteem.
5. Buy a Mac Laptop. (I've wanted one for ever so long now!)
6. Visit Malaysia.
7. Get my house organized and de-cluttered room by room.

I'll probably come up with more, but that's what I've got for now.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/19/09 11:18 PM
Jill - the wine shop gave it to me for free, I buy a lot of wine from them smile

Sadiyya - those are awesome goals, and they sound very achievable!!

Visiting Malaysia is an AWESOME goal! I've been as far as Ukraine but never further than that. It seems so intimidating to go into the actual "East". What draws you to Malaysia?

We can DEFINITELY help with organization and decluttering - swing by the organizing forum!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/21/09 07:51 PM
Sadiyya, your goals sound reasonable and fun! What autopilot income streams are you working on?

We can also help with the losing weight stuff on the low carb and weightloss forums.

Lisa, I read your kiln info. The little silver and gold origamis are beautiful! How much will they sell for?

Me: I am getting closer to thinking about my priorities and goals again. I want to be very very careful to not fill my time up again without thinking everything through first.

My amorphous ideas at this point involve lots of time to do *nothing*, time for yoga/workouts/hikes, time for creative arts like painting and photography, and working on my projects for income.

That last one is going to be sticky. I can see myself loading up on all kinds of fun projects too soon and feeling overwhelmed, unhappy and furtively, guiltily behind again.
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/22/09 08:42 PM
Sa'Diyya,

Your goals definitely meet the SMART test. They are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and set to a Timeline. And I like how the goals range from visiting Malaysia--something you wouldn't do everyday, to those things you will do everyday--the self esteem activities with the children.

Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/22/09 08:48 PM

Jilly, I agree sometimes the goal is to not set specific goals for a time while you regroup, recharge etc.

I'm actually in a somewhat similar position right now. Instead of setting specific major goals, I assign myself one thing to do each day that will move along the various components of my career.

Instead of saying: I'd like to be published in XYZ magazine by XYZ date. I say, I'll work on this query until it's finished putting time into several times a week. When it's finished I'll email it in and start on the next query that I work on several times a week until it's finished etc.
Posted By: Prairie Girl Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/29/09 05:08 PM
Oh my gosh I think I have found my Bella Forum #1. There is so much here to digest that I will have to get back with you later. I'm going to hit all the websites and threads and whatever else those green lines are called. I don't really know all the computer terminology yet. This forum has really grabbed me. See you later.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/29/09 05:35 PM
Hi PraireGirl and welcome! We are looking forward to hearing about your goals. :-)
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/30/09 12:24 AM
Welcome PraireGirl! Feel free to share when you are ready.
Posted By: Prairie Girl Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/30/09 12:49 AM
Hello Goals Gals, I am 61 years old and I have never set goals in my life. I guess my disconglomerated jumbled up life shows it. I just took what came next and dealt with it as it came. That's the free spirited flower child baby boomer in me. However, lately several of my girlfriends and my brother and a male cousin have been discussing the fact that at our ages, we are realizinag that some of the things we wanted to accommplish in our lives will never be. We were all in a life crisis at the same time. So now would be as good a time to start making goals and lists as any time I 'reckon. Like most of you I fancy myself a writer as well. I am looking forward to reading some of your things and when I feel confident I will post some of my things for you. Mostly I write about everyday humor and life in general. Here is a short list of goals for 2009. 1. Start propagating Michigan native trees and shrubs for market. 2. Get rid of lots of stuff I have in my house by setting up a monthly garage sale. 3. Read more - watch TV less. 4. And of course, lose 50 lbs. Realistically I'd be happy if No. 2 gets done. I am just too heavy, and I have no energy. Maybe I should put No. 4 first. What do you think?
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/31/09 02:58 AM
Hi PrairieGirl,

Congratulations on listing your goals. That is not an easy process.

Your list of goals sounds doable. Like you I feel strongly about the order in which I list my goals. I use a website called 43things to list my goals and I'll spend lots of time just getting the order just right.

I did notice that your first three goals were ongoing and the lose weight goal was about the end result. This is just a suggestion but how about rephrasing that goal so that there are ongoing actions like walk a mile every day. Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables a day, drink eight glasses of water a day etc. That's a life coaching trick. You break a major goal down into doable parts.

Good luck with all of your goals. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Posted By: Mattie a la Mode Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/01/09 02:39 AM
my goodness, Jilly you sound busy! One year from now, I would like to be starting a new career and writing more projects. Mattie a la mode www.mattiealamode.com
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/03/09 12:31 AM
Hi Mattie, sounds good! Have you taken the first steps toward you goal yet?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/06/09 07:07 AM
Prairie Girl - we can definitely help you reach these goals! The key is to now think more short term. What steps this week or month can help you head towards these goals?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/01/09 03:32 AM
I looked back at my one year goals from June 2008 which is of course now over a year ago. Let's see how well I did!

* Inbox
All my mail is organized! It's all in to-do folders. That makes my life so much easier.

* Sweepstakes
Getting things caught up!

* Social Networking
Pretty smooth

* Weddings & Courtships Native American
OK this didn't get done. Still pending.

* Romance Novels
I kept submitting and getting rejected, the process continues.

* Messy House
Still messy, getting better. Progress is being made.

* Origami
completely caught up!

* Exercise and weight 130
I have been down to 130, right now I'm 135. I do exercise more frequently than before but need to add in yet more.

So I do see good progress in here, and it looks like time to set up some new one year goals!
A group of friends traditionally sets goals on New Years Eve. They are now sealed in an envelope and decorum dictates that I not open them until Dec 31, 2009. Of the ones I recall, they are the following:

Pushing limits: take a hot-air balloon ride (not done yet)

Organized: the garage (completed until my husband noticed the extra space I created and installed more junk)

Personal: train for a tri-athalon (still training, have yet to actually compete)

Professional: Increase my writing to include style and entertaining. (in progress)

Those are the ones I remember. Thanks for the opportunity to track my progress at the just over half way mark.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/01/09 07:43 PM
That's interesting, I would think you would want your goals very visible so you can work on them! How can you point towards goals that are invisible?

Do you get to keep a separate list on your dresser or something so you can plan to get to them?

LOL that is really funny about your husband invading the open space! That definitely happens - if you create space, it gets filled. The hope is that it gets filled with more productive items smile

Hot air ballooning sounds like great fun!
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/06/09 01:28 AM
Greetings,

That's an interesting idea, to write the goals down and then put them away for the rest of the year--that's a true test of the Law of Attraction. LOL.

I think this is a good technique for those goals that are nice to have, but are optional. I have goals like that. And I've achieved some goals without having to do anything, it just landed in my lap. However for those things I really want and have to take action on, then keeping them visible is important since I will need to monitor my progress, put elements of it on my to-do list etc.
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/06/09 01:30 AM
Yes, great progress Lisa! I need to find my list on here to see where I am. I routinely use my list on 43things.com
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/07/09 05:35 PM
I do agree that it definitely helps for me to have my goals out where I can see them and am reminded of them. That way if I have a spare half hour instead of just flailing around a bit I can do something towards one of those goals smile
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/11/09 03:51 PM
I actually found another goal tracking community aside from 43things that I'm really excited about. It�s called Goal For It.com. With 43 Things you can list your goals, blog about them and get support from the community. But with Goalforit you can do all of the same things as with 43things, only in addition you can list the steps it will take to reach your goal and you can check them off along the way. This is for those people who really need to SEE that they are really making progress.

I�m going to write more about this as I use Goalforit. So far I�ve been using it to manage two major goals and I love it!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/14/09 01:38 AM
I definitely agree that people should try a variety of systems until they find whichever one is perfect for you. Some people love index cards, some love online communities and some love cork boards. Keep trying and experimenting until you find what suits your personality and style!

For me I like having my goals right in Outlook where they're private and immediate.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/14/09 01:55 AM
Don't forget that the best system for you can change over time, as well. I mostly use a combination of the Flylady system and post-it notes to keep me on track with things.

Right now I am actually too busy even to use the Flylady stuff. I barely have time for post-it note to-do lists. I have to set a timer to ring every half hour so i will get up and do something non-computer-ey for a few minutes, then dive back into work.

I am hoping this won't be a permanent busy lifestyle and am sure things will even out in the next few months. Then I will take a look at what time management system is right for me at that point.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/15/09 08:02 PM
That is an excellent point Jilly, that we shouldn't cling to an old system just because it worked for us before. If things change in your life, it's always good to reevaluate how you handle things and see if you can improve!

Your life is still settling in from the huge chaotic changes you have been going through! I am absolutely sure in a few months that things will settle into a pattern and get easier for you smile
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/21/09 03:05 PM
I agree with you both because the old system was good for old goals, but if you have new goals, then the previous system may no longer apply.

I've belonged to the flylady group on yahoo for a few months now, but have yet to really go in and participate. But I will at some point. Thanks for the reminder smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/13/09 02:36 AM
I keep shocking myself on how vastly my life keeps changing every three months of so. How can i possibly set any goals? Anyone else having trouble with this?
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/16/09 04:43 PM
Hi Jilly,

I know what you mean, when the ground feels like shifting sand.

My suggestion is to take one thing, one small goal that you can "control" no matter what. For me that one thing would be writing.

Take a few minutes every day to move that one pet project along. Slowly inch by inch. Maybe it's organizing a shelf, putting together your five year plan, working out for 20 minutes a day, making sure there are no dishes in your sink (ala flylady)etc.

Just choose something that will have long term benefits and be faithful to it every day for a few minutes. Claim it as your foundation. Shine it up, polish it love it.

I swear this has helped me. There have been times when I felt I was in the middle of a whirlwind, but was comforted by the fact that I had washed and folded all of the clothes.

Something little like that can make all of the difference.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/23/09 03:44 AM
Leah, that is very good advice. I guess i should think now what that one pet project should be.

hmmm. Yoga, planting a veggie garden, earning rent money, planning one good backpack or camping trip a month?
For me, it is putting together my first Squidoo lens. I am working on it one section/day. And when I say section, I mean one small idea at a time.
Posted By: leahmullen Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/30/09 10:02 PM
Yes Alice, one small idea at a time!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/26/10 01:46 AM
I think it is so important to take those tiny steps. Every tiny step adds up.

If you want a cleaner house clean up just ONE THING. It will help!
Posted By: Cara N. Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/26/10 04:33 AM
Yes, taking tiny steps really helps. When I get overwhelmed with a big project, I try to focus on just one little thing I can do at the moment that brings me closer to my goal.

I have been learning the importance of consistency... Doing much better so far this year. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/28/10 08:27 PM
Consistency is important too. It's ok if you get off track. We all fall off track! Just get back on with a fresh step. Some people get frustrated and give up. Perseverance is key. Everyone slips, you just start again fresh.
Posted By: samuelcdanny Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/30/10 03:59 AM
Hi One and all,

How do I plan coming year will be .. as-usual I wanna be a better person.. and be a family man...

regards,
Dany.
Posted By: Cara N. Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/30/10 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
Consistency is important too. It's ok if you get off track. We all fall off track! Just get back on with a fresh step. Some people get frustrated and give up. Perseverance is key. Everyone slips, you just start again fresh.

Perseverance is key as my dad always told me when I was little.
Most successful people I've known are masters of perseverance. This is one characteristic of success that I definitely want to master.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/02/10 03:32 AM
Yes I agree I've read in many books that successful individuals are not lucky or wealthy - they are simply the ones who keep on going even when they get stuck, and stuck, and stuck.
I remember an interesting definition of 'LUCK' - L abour U nder C orrect K nowledge. If you talk to someone who's perceived as 'lucky' they will generally admit that it's just sheer perseverence of working at what they want till they get it!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/09/10 01:18 AM
That's very true! It's one thing to be lucky that you sit at home on your couch and suddenly someone hands you your life's dream. But it's quite another thing if you are out working at it, and you are able to persevere until it happens smile

In other news, I now have some clean rooms in my house!! I just took on a section at a time, and those sections added up! It works! smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/09/10 02:26 AM
Each year I run into issues with the one year goals. The moving makes it impossible to actually carry out any long term or even short term ideas for myself.

Ok, impossible is a negative word. Let me think - there has to be some way to re-vision this.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/09/10 08:44 AM
OK, i am going to start from scratch and not EVEN look at my previous one year goals. I am going to be very simple here:

- Earn $1500 a month from my misc projects
- make time most days to do something nice for me (like hiking or yoga or a bath, or reading in the sun, or being creative)
- Make sure that most days I have had protein, fiber, veggies, fruit and complex carbs, take my vitamins and hydrate well
-get 15 minutes of movement in most days
- Get new Amazon rank to within the 1000s (it's now 1,596) and old rank to under 10,000 (it's 11,268)
- figure some way to come to terms with my anxiety and depression, even while living on the road in my motorhome. There must be a way to get help and I intend to find it
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/09/10 08:51 PM
Those sound like fantastic goals Jilly! We can help you reach those!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/04/10 11:50 PM
I think as far as the daily habits stuff, i need to make myself a chart and print out a notebook of them for daily checking off. I am going to put something together.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/05/10 12:03 AM
I did it! I took 15 minutes and made myself a Daily Habits checklist. I posted two to a page and printed out enough for a week. Let's see how this helps. I put some nice things on there for myself, help me be as healthy and happy as possible.
Posted By: azeem Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/05/10 03:01 PM
A lot of aims which you prescribed in this message but how it will be available position in this froum
Posted By: MarkLehman Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/24/10 11:18 AM
I want to save lot of money until the end of this year. Lehman.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/04/10 06:56 AM
Mark - a key to a goal is that it's specific. How much money would you want to have saved by the end of the year?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/22/10 09:34 PM
Wow OK I haven't posted any short term goals since July 2009!! I think it's time to create an updated list.

* Weddings & Courtships Native American
Still on the list! Clearly this is too big to think about as "one task". I think about it and get overwhelmed and never open it up. I think the first step is just to OPEN that darn Word document and see what shape it is in. OK, I can do that.

* Romance Novels
I did submit one to Harlequin. So I am waiting on a reply.

* Messy House
This is an eternal problem. I need to clear out all these excess books. I have a multi-pronged approach now. So every week I need to get let's say 10 books out of the house either via Amazon sales, paperback swap mailings, or sending to editors. In addition, every week I should get just one room clean.

* Exercise and weight 130
I keep aiming for this and going up and down. I was at 140 earlier and am down to 134. So I am making progress.

* Maintain straight As in college courses
this is ongoing, I finish my summer set next week. Then I have a 2 week break and start the 4 classes of fall.

* Under 60 empty sites at BellaOnline
It's always hard to quantify BellaOnline goals - but I know quantifying goals is critical for them to succeed. I want all editors to be "happy" but you can't measure that, and every book I have on goals says goals need to be able to be measured. So hopefully if we aim for under 60 empty sites that will mean we have happy editors, a stable system, smoothly running programs, and so on. I of course want to achieve that in the most happy ethical way possible.

OK I see some roadblocks here. I can't touch the piano because that room is a MESS!!

So let me start there. I will go - right now - upstairs and work on clearing a path to the piano, and making sure it works.
1) Have a permanent job that I love that pays the bills and has benefits.

2) Have enough inventory in handmade and manufactured jewelry to have reps selling for me. Flea markets on some weekends, craft shows and home parties.

3) Deciding what writing to specialize in: so far - entertaining subjects, ghosts/hauntings, jewelry, and animal stuff. Prepare some talks on each subject.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/29/10 08:15 AM
Those are great one year goals, Robin! Don't forget to add in something that is serene for you. Is there something that makes you happy? Hiking? Yoga? Bubble baths?

I was able to clean my piano room out! Hurrah! I even played the piano this morning and it was SO relaxing. I love that I can just walk in there now and play when I want to.

I worked hard on the training system all day to make it easier to use, and hopefully that will make our trainees happy!

My two summer courses ended today, and I have high hopes that my final two papers that I submitted will ensure I earn an A in both classes. So that would be great! I'm waiting eagerly for the grades to come out. Maybe tomorrow.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/30/10 01:38 AM
One year. I can try this. That will be the end of next summer.

- I will have made great soil over the winter and by a year i will have a wonderful thriving garden of heirloom vegetables. Either that or I will be spending the really hot months traveling in the RV in the mountains somewhere - this has been a very hard summer - trapped in the RV bc it's too hot to be outside.

- The cottage in the back will be habitable and also the guest room in the house.

- I'll have my meds situation figured out.

- I will have a system down for staying on top of work.

- I will have figured out how to incorporate outdoor activities, yoga and fitness into my daily life

- I will be eating actual food, instead of tortillas with butter for every meal

I can't do any more tonite. I am so upset over my kitty.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/30/10 06:44 AM
Jilly -

Give yourself time to mourn. Set up a little memorial area for your kitty. Somewhere special where you can go to ponder.

I still have Hammie in a wooden box on my mantle. I still miss him. I like having him there to think about. He was a wonderful kitty. I still almost feel like he should be alive, like I could look down and he'd be there next to me. It's hard to reconcile that he is not there.

Your one year goals sound *wonderful*. They are beautiful things to integrate into your life.

We can work on the real food one step at a time. That is an important thing to begin integrating.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/30/10 02:19 PM
Alright. I am going to start different threads to deal with different goals.

here is my food one.

This is a short term goal but if anyone can help me with William I'd really appreciate it.

I started the thread to figure out the med situation in Mental Health.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/30/10 03:13 PM
Here is the thread for me to figure out how to stay on top of work.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/30/10 10:51 PM
It is awesome that you are getting everything nicely organized! We will help you succeed!
Posted By: johndouglas Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/31/10 05:42 PM
This is a wonderful post. The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
--------
johndouglas
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/02/10 01:08 AM
I am not doing well on my one year goal of mailing 10 books a week out. I have piles and piles of books in my office but it's always a low priority - but then my office stays cluttered.

I will start a separate thread on this, so I can find a technique that works.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/02/10 03:12 AM
Now I will work on some more goal threads.

here is one for planning to take the RV elsewhere next summer.

- fixing up my cottage

- I created a walking thread. I do not know if i need to make individual threads for yoga, running, hiking, paddling and whatever else i might do for mental/physical health. Should I use the walking thread as an all purpose place to account for this? Or what?

Lisa, that is so sad about Hamlet. I know you must miss him a great deal. I look down where William would always be - at my feet, under my desk. Lately John is now occupying that spot, which soothes me.

Posted By: Di_A.A.Lit.Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/02/10 11:56 PM
My goal for the next 12 months is to actually "sale" copies of my 1st book which is released Sept 18, 2010 :-) and have my 2nd book published by next year this time.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/03/10 07:49 AM
Dianne -

That is great that your book is ready to release! Let us know how that goes!
Posted By: Di_A.A.Lit.Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/05/10 01:02 PM
Although me book is distributed by Ingrams and its on Amazon, B&N, Books-a-million etc... I was inspired by a self-published writer I met who was featured in the New York Times for having sold more than 14,000 copies of his two books [hand-to-hand] on the Train, over a 3 1/2 year period.

I'm not going to ride the Train to sale books, but I have vowed to:

1. Never leave the house without copies of my book

2. Sale 15 copies of my book per week [hand-to-hand]

As for my 2nd goal of publishing my 2nd book. Right now, my goal is to write 1000 words, 3 times per week.

How am I doing with my 1 year goals.

Since August, I've sold 6 copies of my book. [Mind you it's not released until Sept 18, 2010] I was just practicing. LOL!

As for my 2nd book, I only have 1100 words. I gotta step that up.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/07/10 08:06 AM
Dianne - that is awesome that you've already sold 6 copies of a book that isn't even published! Good for you!
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/07/10 08:18 AM
My goal is to get through ten classes toward my degree as well as extend my writing. I really want to get a course and an ebook completed here on BellaOnline. Doing that would really make my year.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/09/10 07:29 AM
Rebecca - those are awesome goals that cover a number of different areas! The ten classes, one course, and one ebook are nice and specific. What did you have in mind for "extend your writing"? The more specific you can make your goals, the better!

Also don't forget to have something in there for your health / serenity!
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/09/10 08:22 AM
By extending my writing - develop better writing skills and understand better research methods.

Health - Create a place to "get away" from everyone! smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 12:34 AM
Have a summer music tour of the local faery and renaissance festivals.

Have a CD for sale on Amazon.

Have my facebook fan page set up - selling mp3s.

Get my music on Pandora radio and BellaOnline radio.

Loose 30 pounds.

Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 12:53 AM
ugh. I never reach my goals because I'm always changing my goals!!!

My one-year goals now are:
1. To take care of my elderly aunt and daughter. Keep them safe, healthy and happy.
2. Restore our new home. Landscape, etc.
3. Launch my business program online.(It's a surprise!)
4. Finish my first book.
5. Get some professional feedback for my children's books.
6. Continue to publish my articles and essays. Upload some e-booklets.
7. Maintain vibrant health.

Is that too many?

Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Inspiration Deanna

Loose 30 pounds.

I didn't know about BellaOnline Radio!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 03:07 AM
Quote:

My goal is to get through ten classes toward my degree as well as extend my writing. I really want to get a course and an ebook completed here on BellaOnline. Doing that would really make my year.

That is exciting, Lisa. Do you have topics in mind for the ebook and course? Which will u work on first?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 03:59 AM
Deanna, it's super easy to set up a facebook fan page. let me know if you need help with that - we can talk about it in the blogs forum.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:01 AM
Chi, that doesn't sounds like too much, but we need a lot more detail on each thing to help you with this.

Let's start with your home and landscape. What is it that you want to see happen in one year?
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:02 AM
Dianne, that is SOOOOO cool!

I wonder how that guy sold his books on the train? Did he go person to person?

That's an awesome idea to carry your books with you.

Congrats Dianne!

Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:03 AM
Rebecca, those are some seriously awesome goals! You'll totally do it!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:04 AM
Lori, I change my goals a lot too LOL. Sometimes maybe too much.

I really like your goal list, and I don't think it's too many at all smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:05 AM
Thanks Jilly smile As soon as I get three songs recorded and ready to post as MP3s, I'll do it!!!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:47 AM
I'd recommend thinking about things you might like to talk about to get conversation going to promote what you do, without *sounding* like you are selling. I do this professionally for people, so I can totally give you a free consultation.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:56 AM
Jilly, that would be SOOOOO cool! I've got several songs going through the recording process at this moment. Just need to do little things like add back-up vocals, a bit more guitar, or re-record over that place where the dog started barking LOL.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 05:30 AM
Silly dog. Although Pink Floyd has barking dogs in his songs, maybe you can pull off that it was deliberate...lol
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 04:51 PM
Thanks for helping, Jilly! And for the encouragement, Deanna. I'm glad you don't think my list is too long and unattainable.

As for the landscaping, here are the priorities:

1. Save the old lemon, avocado and orange trees. Call in an arborist.
2. Replace the side fences.
3. Cut back the overgrown plants, remove the dead ones.
4. Take out the juniper hedges.
5. Design the new hardscape for the front and back.

phew. That's a start! Gosh, Jilly, you helped me break down a large project into doable steps.
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 07:21 PM
That was me saying that smile

I want the ebook to be on the bare essentials you need to know about the American Revolution. It had been mentioned to be by a homeschooling mother that she could not find a book that just gave the bare essentials that her son needed to know as history was not his thing. Thought it was a good idea.
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 07:22 PM
Adjustment to my goals. Get credit cleaned up and save enough money to buy a permanent home in two years.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 07:52 PM
Great, lori, we can work with that. I have to run out the door for the day, but i have a lot of comments for you on your breakdown.

Now choose another line item and break it down. We will see if your list is doable for one year's time after we've seen what everything entails! smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 08:10 PM
Rebecca, that is such an awesome idea. My 8th grade son has entered into public school for the VERY first time this year. It was his decision, and he is really enjoying his experience. All he complains about is the U.S. History LOL!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 08:11 PM
Wow Lori, doesn't that sound easy now LOL! Really, I'm not being silly - it sounds much easier when it's laid out in those easy, manageable pieces.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 08:14 PM
Good Morning Ladies!

This thread has been so awesome! I have been trying to get two of my girlfriends to go in on goal-working with me, and they just aren't as into it as I am. These last couple of days working with this thread have really gotten me motivated, and WORKING again toward my goals.

I REALLY like how Jilly started her own goal thread. I think we each should do that, because it would be so much easier to keep track of each other that way. Is anyone else interested?

:::crossing fingers:::
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 08:23 PM
Definitely Deanna having a specific goal thread for each person so we can follow their progress would be great!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/10/10 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Inspiration Deanna

Loose 30 pounds.

Those are great goals, and definitely doable! We can help with all of those!

I sell DVDs on Amazon with CreateSpace, it is *very* easy. We can help you when you get your CD finalized.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/11/10 02:58 AM
Okay, Lori, let's see how this breaks down. I'd do the easy things first, just to get a sense of forward motion and satisfaction.

I think that getting an arborist in is easy. You have to look for one and have him come in and make a bid. That is a day or a few depending on when they can get out to see you. Then there is the day they actually come and look at your trees. So this is a few steps - find number, call them, get a bid, have them come out. But then DONE.

Side fences - can you do this or is this a handyman thing? Either way you can probably do this inside of a month.

Doing the overgrown plants should only be a weekend type affair.

Hedges - perhaps a few more weekends for this one.

Designing the hardscape will probably take the longest amount of time, but you can come up with ideas, sketches, look at magazines, etc all winter. This is the fun item! You can also discuss ideas in the gardening forum.

So really, most of your tasks are things you can either set aside full days for, or work on here and there, and everything is doable within the year.

What else ya got? let's discuss your item about maintaining vibrant health. That's a bit fuzzy. What specifics do you want to have happen within the year?
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/11/10 03:15 AM
Well, I have diabetes that is pretty serious. It went uncontrolled for years and years. I began to drop weight without trying and now have diabetic neuropathy in both feet and legs. My kidneys are compromised. I'm on insulin now but without medical insurance yet, the cost is too high to afford.

Anyway, I joined a gym and the exercise has been wonderful. My blood sugar numbers are going down finally. But I'd like to keep my glucose level in the 100-120 range, lessen my dependence on insulin and eat a vegetarian/low carb diet. (Low carb for the diabetes and vegetarian for humane reasons.) I'd like to drop 30 pounds, have a stronger upper body and a flat stomach.

BTW, I'm going to put all the items you broke down for me on a calendar. I need a deadline! Gosh, thanks Jilly! I am really feeling as though I'm moving ahead!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/11/10 03:52 AM
Okay, Chi, based on what you wrote, here are your one year goals for your priority of health:

1. use the gym and the exercise at least ___ times a week (fill in the blank)
2. Keep my glucose level in the 100-120 range
3. Lessen my dependence on insulin by ____ much
4. be eating a vegetarian/low carb diet (Low carb for the diabetes and vegetarian for humane reasons.)
5. drop 30 pounds
6. have a stronger upper body
7. have a flat stomach

Do those sound good for one year health goals? I think those are good goals and they are getting to the specific part that can be measured. If you can fill in the blanks on those, we can talk about whether or not it's a lot to do in one year or not. These are things Lisa and Monica (weightloss, exercise) can help you with in their forums, and also Cindy in the Diabetes forum. And doesn't jason do the Vegetarian forum?

My sense is these things will be harder to accomplish than the gardening ones, but you DO have a year!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/12/10 12:06 AM
Chi - absolutely I've heard from many people that through healthy living they were able to reduce or even remove their dependence on insulin. You get your body back into balance and it begins to run more smoothly. So we can help you towards those goals! It is great that you joined the gym and are making progress!
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/13/10 12:19 AM
Thanks, Jilly and Lisa! I'm really pumped about reaching my goals now. I told my husband how much you all are helping.

I aim to get to the gym 5-7 times a week. It's doable because we actually were going every night for two weeks straight until we had social commitments. Then, we dropped to 4 times for the past two weeks. We joined just one month ago but we are seeing great progress!

I'd like to get my AM glucose reading to under 120.

My insulin dependence to .20 Lantus baseline/.12 Novolog with meals. That's what I'm taking now but my numbers are still too high so I should be upping these doses.

And, I'll be sure to check into those other forums. I love Jason's recipes. Also, my neuropathy is a big problem. Pain in my feet all the time now. ugh. There is no cure for this. I heard evening primrose oil is good for the pain. I'll see if anyone has heard of it in the diabetes forum.

What about ya'll? Keep us up-to-date on your progress with your goals! I'm getting a calendar to mark the dates I want to accomplish things and what I need to do on any particular day, whether it is to call the arborist or to make it a gym day! Or write down the actual vegetarian meals we'll be having.

This is *so* fun!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/13/10 12:57 AM
Chi, i started my own thread in this forum under Jilly's Goals Thread. So you can take a peek there if you want to! smile

Or start your own...a few of us have already done so. It makes things easier to track. smile

I think the calendar is a good idea - very smart. Did you mark things yet? What is the first thing from your gardening list that you will do, and when?

I don't know anything about blood glucose, so all i can ask is that you ask your doctor if those goals seem like doable for one year. She should be in the know in any case. smile But I do know it's GREAT To be specific like that. It gives you something concrete to shoot for and a way to track as the year goes on.

The weight loss, flat belly and strong upper body are awesome goals! Do you do yoga? What do you plan to make those things happen?

Brwosing your list,,,hmm, number five looks like an easy one you can knock off your plate -

5. Get some professional feedback for my children's books.

You can post in the children's books and the fiction forums here, you can submit them to Mused and you can ask other editors in the private editor forum. Or all of the above. Those are easy places to start to get feedback.

What other types of professionals did you haev in mind? Did you have some ideas for this? What are some steps to get this done?

Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/13/10 05:48 PM
You have been going to the gym at least 4 times a week? Lori that is just fabulously awesome!!! And your hubby goes with you? Nice!

I like Jilly's idea - start a thread for your goals so it's easy to track smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/03/11 04:29 AM
OK I just revisited my Five Year Goals so with those done I can now work on my one year goals again, to get me towards those aims!

The one year goals I had set previously were:

* work on Native American book
* wait for Harlequin response
* mail 10 books a week out to someone
* clean one room a week
* exercise / yoga to hit 130
* maintain straight As in college
* under 60 empty sites

So some of these are fairly vague, and some have been hit!

So, let's see, looking at my new five year goals and what I had before for my one year goals.

* Finish Native American Book
This has been on my list for 2 years now. I love researching it. But I need to just FINISH it. There are many other emotion-related issues. I am frustrated by how poorly the publishing company marketed my first 3 books. They are in shaky shape so I don't know if they'll even be able to do anything with a fourth. Still, it's like a cloud lurking over me. I need to just get it done.

* Find Good Publisher for my Romance Novels
I had my heart set on Harlequin but at this point I have to accept they were not meant to be. My next choice, LoveSpell, has an **8 month** review period. That would kill me, to wait 8 months on every submission. So I need to decide if I am willing to wait those long months or if I should move down another rung.

* Mail 10 Books a Week
This has to do with the HUGE piles of review books in my house. I have gotten better about shutting down the incoming deluge (except Penguin!! Penguin needs to stop!!). But I still have so many books here. I write to editors and sometimes it's weeks before they get back to me. So I need to readress this system. When I put in a concerted effort here, it DOES work. So I need to refocus.

* Clean One Room a Week
Still a great plan. It does work! Then things decay. At one point I had many of the rooms quite clean. I don't quite know what happens then. So I will start fresh. Clearly we have too much junk. It needs to get given away. There are only 2 of us here.

* Maintain Straight As in College
This is one that makes me nervous. So far, so good. But does this mean the one time I hit a B I'll feel devastated? That would be a shame. One grumpy professor and I'm doomed. Still, I like aiming for this goal. I will do the very best I can.

* Do an Unassisted Pullup
I sat for a while pondering what health goal I could create that was specific. I wanted something very concrete. I have been working on doing pullups and they're all with weight assist right now. I would like to be able to do just one with my own arm strength. It is a good goal to work towards.

* BellaOnline at 80% Editor Capacity
We currently are at 76% capacity. The reason I switched from a raw # of sites to percent is that, as we fill in editors, we might want to add in some sites. So I want to make sure even as we add in sites that we still remain as "full" as we can be. We have great training and support systems, and we want to help as many editors as we can reach their goals. So I think working towards 76% to 80% will be a good goal for us. We invest a TON of time in each trainee, so it's not "easy" but it is very worthwhile!

Hmmmm everything matches my 5 year goals *except* I have nothing on here at all for piano and guitar, which were the only "nebulous" entries on my long term goals. No wonder progress is iffy smile

OK, my brother is learning banjo. So I should learn how to play "dueling banjos" with him - that would be very cool!! That makes me happy smile It's on my list!
Lisa~ If any of those books your trying to send out have anything to do with reproductive choice- I'd love to read and review them.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/05/11 12:33 AM
Dear Suzanne -

I'll keep that in mind! Unfortunately Penguin deluges me mostly with romance novels and our Romance Novel editor is already deluged as it is! So really I have to get Penguin to answer the phone and stop sending them. I've left them several messages already.
I appreciate it Lisa!!!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/18/11 07:18 AM
Okee dokee - I just added an update on how the one year goals I set last month are perking along (or not). smile

I posted them in my goal thread - Jilly's Goals

I feel like I am making decent strides, for once! The big difference I think is that I am very much taking the big priorities seriously, for the first time.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/20/11 10:04 PM
LOL I popped by this thread to see what the latest posts were in it - and I see that post about Penguin. I just picked up four more books out of my PO Box!! Will this madness never end!! smile I will try calling them ... again ... tomorrow.

That's great on the updates Jilly!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/18/11 01:02 AM
OK I am really making progress on the books! That's great! I also found a yoga pose I want to do, which I'll talk more about in the yoga forum!

I updated this to include a fat percentage, to go with my five year goals.

I also included a step towards my zero-email-backlog long term project.

So now my one year goals are:

ONE YEAR GOALS
* BellaOnline at 80% Editor Capacity
* Clean One Room a Week
* Mail 10 Books a Week
* Find Good Publisher for my Romance Novels
* Maintain Straight As in College
* Do an Unassisted Pull-up
* Do Shoulder-Pressing Pose (Bhujapidasana)
* Fat at 20%
* Have zero email messages in all BellaOnline and Wine folders
* Learn Dueling Banjos

I'm printing the new page out now! I keep a document in Word with my overall life priorities, my 5 year goals, and my 1 year goals, all on one page to hang by my desk.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/26/11 09:09 PM
Spring is coming - the perfect time to take a fresh look at goals and where they stand!

I have already reached my fat goal of 18% for 5 years so I need to get a new goal there!

I have slowed down on the book mailing - but I also only have a few books in the pile behind me because I've done so well! So that is great. Maybe that should be reduced to 5 books a week now?

My college courses are doing well. I did do a bunch of cleaning last night.

I haven't been working on the pull-up or yoga pose at ALL.

... OK I just printed out a helpful page on the pose with a photo of it. I will leave that by my yoga mat. That will help.

I am working on the email message backlog and will ramp that up.

How is everyone else doing?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/26/11 09:19 PM
Great question Lisa. It's so important to revisit our goals during the year to get a reality check. I'm looking at my 50 before 50 list. It's a year - Sept. to Sept. I gotten some done that I didn't expect, and others I better get a move on.

Getting my daughter her drivers license - check
Vacation with my sisters - check
New contact lens (was fighting the 200 expense) check, check...
Revisit my NaNoWriMo novel - check
Take a course in fiction writing - check...

there are others...

the ones that I need to get a move on are the weight loss, a few body measurements and my e-book outlines.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/27/11 01:01 AM
Dear Dianne -

That is awesome that you are checking off those goals! Congratulations!

What types of healthy activities do you enjoy, to get moving more?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/28/11 02:36 PM
Thanks, Lisa.

Usually two nights a week and Saturday morning, I'm doing two back to back classes at the gym. Water aerobics followed by Zumba.
Except I am taking a 4 week adult advanced swimmer class so that is taking up one of the two nights of back to back classes.

So I basically have been going to exercise class 5 days a week.

Now if I could get that "eating" part under control, it would rock...Lol...
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/08/11 02:51 AM
Dear Dianne -

That is great that you're doing active things that you enjoy! I like water aerobics and now that it's not winter I'll be doing that again more often. I don't blow dry my hair and in the winter it was just too cold going out into the snow with wet hair.

What is Zumba like?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/08/11 02:52 AM
Dear Dianne -

Oh on the eating part, swing by our various forums and we'll be more than happy to help out with billions of ideas! Drink lots of water - that's a key one. A lot of times when you think you're hungry you're actually thirsty. Also smaller portion sizes help a ton. You tend to eat what's on your plate even if you're not that hungry.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 10/17/11 07:26 PM
OK I'm long overdue to rehaul my one year goal list! Let's see how I'm doing -

ONE YEAR GOALS
* BellaOnline at < 60 empty sites
* Clean One Room a Week
* Mail 3 Books a Week
* Self Publish 5 medieval novels
* Remain Active & Best-I-Can-Do in College
* Do Downward Dog very well
* Fat at 20%
* Have zero email messages in all BellaOnline
* Practice guitar once/week
* Practice piano once/week

So some of my goals are changing here. I'll be self publishing my medieval novels so now I can get 5 of them out within the next year which is great! I got a B in one of my courses so my "maintain straight As" has to simply be to do my best.

My book pile is greatly reduced so now I'm down to mailing out 3 a week to move the rest out to new homes.

I also still have this email backlog so I cut back on my expectations for working through that.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/07/11 05:34 AM
You know, I need a shorter timeline thread, for seasonal/quarterly goals. Hmmm.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/07/11 11:05 AM
Dear Jilly -

That's a fantastic idea, to create threads for individual projects.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/07/11 10:56 PM
heh, now i just have to think about how to organize that.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/08/11 12:35 AM
Okay, i made a thread for seasonal goals in this forum.
Posted By: twilliam25 Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/08/11 02:50 AM
Wow! What a nice goal. For me my goals in life are the following:
a. to help my family especially in terms of financial
b. to become one of highly respective professionals imbued with moral values and to compete globally in terms of skills and knowledge.
Posted By: jodiemt Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/14/11 04:55 AM
I don't believe in goals! I just do what I wish to do, when I wish to do. Life's easier that way for me, and I've noticed I haven't failed in this approach as yet.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/20/11 02:03 AM
Dear Jodiemt -

It's certainly fun to do things on a whim! And certainly each of us has different styles.

If you have long term goals, though, by not keeping them in mind, they rarely get progress made on them. That is, say I have a long term goal of earning a college degree. If I always go for the short-term fun things, I'll never reach that long term goal.

If I don't have any long term goals in life, that's fine! But for many of us who do have long term goals, we like to make those small steady steps towards reaching them.

So for example if I end up with a free half hour, my short term mind might say "Great! Watch some TV!" - but my long term goal list would say "OK the perfect time to narrow down my college list to three I can choose from". And by doing that task, I'm closer than ever to achieving something important to me.

Often the realization that long term goals were missed out takes quite a while. A friend of mine has a father close to death. He's upset he never went to London England. It was a dream of his. He never put it onto any goal list, he never took any steps towards it - and now he lost his chance.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/24/11 11:09 PM
Okay, giving this a tentative try. By next xmas, I plan to have these things done -

utility assistance on
food stamps on
ahcccs renewed
disability income on
steady drips of monthly income from work
Weatherization project finished (through nacog)

This is all for the financial stability priority.

That's a start!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/27/11 04:11 PM
Quote:
Often the realization that long term goals were missed out takes quite a while. A friend of mine has a father close to death. He's upset he never went to London England. It was a dream of his. He never put it onto any goal list, he never took any steps towards it - and now he lost his chance.

I am very guilty of doing this too. A while back I found one of my goal notebooks. I'd write a bunch of goals down in January, then blow it off. I'd pull it out again in December and feel so bad about it! But I never took any action - never even looked at it. January of 2010 I found that notebook and was nearly in tears because I had done nothing! So 2010 I started leaving the book out - looking at it everyday - taking action. In January 2011 I was SOOO happy! I'd accomplished at least half of my goals!

I definitely need my goal journal - or yes, I find myself getting sidetracked and never moving forward.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/27/11 04:12 PM
I don't know why!! But I'm finding that finishing my paranormal romance is very challenging. It's not that I don't have idea... I do... Hmmm....
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/27/11 04:15 PM
Write it down and make it happen!

We use a large white eraser board to write down the goals we are focused on. As we accomplish a goal, it's erased off the board.

We try to look at it at least monthly, to keep it current and to keep us on track.

I believe it setting goals, otherwise, I'm floating out at sea, without course or direction.....
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/27/11 09:53 PM
Anna, did you ever read that book "Write it down, make it happen?" It was SOOOO cool! I think I'll get it out again. I'm reading "Think and Grow Rich" right now - so that will be my next book.

"Floating out at sea... without course or direction."

I feel that too when I'm not writing things down.
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/28/11 02:48 PM
Yes Deanna I have read that book! Loved it.

And I absoulutely positively adore the "Think and Grow Rich" books. The principles therein make sense, especially regarding thoughts.

Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/26/12 08:27 AM
Still working on my one year goal to have all financial assistance applications filled out. See my Seasonal Goal thread for update. smile

Also my goals for getting the cats spayed and my physical health tests all done. One by one! Still not ready for the blood draw - the eye exam is the next Fear Factor event for me.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/03/12 03:01 AM
I just added mew new update in the Seasonal Goals thread in this forum.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/14/12 01:11 AM
Those are awesome steps Jilly - the little steps definitely add up over time! Well done!

I am about to release my 5th medieval novel, and not too long ago it was just a dream to have any of them out! So one step at a time, things happen!

My one year goal was to "self publish 5 medieval novels" so I'm about to achieve it!

Now to get some books mailed out smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/17/12 08:01 PM
I've crossed off a goal! I've crossed off a goal!!

I just published my fifth medieval novel today - Looking Back - on the Amazon Kindle!

I've had these novels on my computer for at least 10 years. Some are 25 years old. I finally am getting them published!

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement smile
Posted By: Lyn-Christian Lit Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/18/12 01:03 AM
My one year goals that I set for this year:
1. pay off all debt except for student loans
2. finish my book
3. get a laptop
4. save money to move into my own apartment
5. raise credit score
6. lose weight.

So far, I've come close to accomplishing #1. Bought a laptop off of ebay and picked it up today, and am working on #5 and #6. I've lost 14 lbs in the last 2 weeks!
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/20/12 09:41 PM
Lisa, that is fantastic! Good for you. A dream from so long ago, now a reality!!!

Lyn, congrats on almost getting out of debt and losing the weight. What are you doing to raise your credit score?
Posted By: Jenny - Feng Shui Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/20/12 10:31 PM
Oh, I like this thread. You all have fantastic goals and accomplishments! My goals for 2012 are:

1. Finish my books (I have 3 started).
2. Lose the weight I gained while on Prednisone.
3. Work harder on my Reiki and Feng Shui businesses.
4. Start driving again (I have a muscle disease and couldn't drive for several months and now I'm a bit of a coward about starting back now that I'm in remission)
5. Grow my Feng Shui site so that it is getting at least twice the page views it now has.
6. Have my taxes sent in by the end of this month instead of waiting until the last day to file.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/20/12 11:23 PM
Jenny, those are great goals!

What are your tax plans? Are you doing it yourself, or will you be using someone?
Posted By: Jenny - Feng Shui Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/22/12 12:12 AM
I do them myself and use TurboTax for both personal and business. Just sent in personal and will send in business tomorrow...YAY! I hate taxes and usually wait until the very last minute but not this year.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/26/12 01:38 AM
Yay, Jenny! You seem really organized!

What three books have you started?

ALSO YAY for me!!! I just got Charles Tucker neutered. For free through a once a year cat clinic. So my kittens are all done! That was an important dream for me, to have all my little ones fixed. Check!
Posted By: Heidi - Reading Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/26/12 01:44 AM
Impressive, both of you! I'm just about to take my oldest (a high school junior) on a "college tour", and one year from now I'd like to feel good about his decisions - where he is going, how we will pay for it, how far from home, etc.. Hard to believe he'll be close to graduation one year from now.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/30/12 06:58 PM
Dear Lyn -

Those are great goals! Many books suggest that goals are most likely to be achieved if they are specific. So rather than say "lose weight" they work best if you say "reach 125 pounds". You don't have to tell US what that specific goal is of course smile But for your own list that you hang by your desk, specific goals are more likely to get you there.

So look at your goals and think about specific numbers to go with the ones involving weight and money and such!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/30/12 07:03 PM
Dear Jenny -

On the goal "Work harder on my Reiki and Feng Shui businesses" is there a way to quantify that? What sort of goal do you feel you could achieve with them in a year? Would it be a # of customers goal? An income goal? A traffic goal?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 03/30/12 07:19 PM
Woo hoo I've been making progress! Here was my list -

ONE YEAR GOALS
... ok this one I'm not making progress on, I never work on it. I need to make it more of a priority. I need a way to promote / broadcast our desire for editors.

* Clean One Room a Week
... making more of an effort here. Step by step.

* Mail 3 Books a Week
... this goal was too nebulous I think. I need a more concrete goal. So my new goal is "< 10 books pending to send out". That is something I can focus on.

... I need to do this. I will start to make it a priority.

* Self Publish 5 medieval novels
I did this! I did this! I now have 5 novels out and published smile Hurrah!! I'm so happy. This was a long time coming. So now my new goal can be to have all 10 published.

* Remain Active & Best-I-Can-Do in College
I am about to finish up my junior year! It's amazing how this has progressed. So my new goal can be to graduate! Wow, that is just incredible to me. I can graduate in about a year! Of course it's sad too - I'm doing this not for the degree but for the learning. So I'll be sad. Maybe I can then get a master's smile

Haven't worked on this in a while. I need to go to the gym to use its gear.

Have eased up on yoga, have been dancing instead. Need to do both.

* Fat at 20%
I've achieved this! Hurrah! My fat is now at 19.5%. So my new goal is 18% and my 5 year goal is 16%. Neato!

I had all editor email caught up and then got backlogged again smile So I will work on this again. It's so easy for the backlog to blossom to 570 (which is what my inbox is currently at). So this weekend I need to plow through that.

Isn't happening. I need to schedule me-time for this.

Ditto. The music room is a mess; I can't get to my piano. So need to work on this too.

So this is great! I've reached some goals!! My new list is now this:

* Clean One Room a Week
* < 10 Promo Books in Pile
* Self Publish all 10 medieval novels
* Graduate College!!
* Fat at 18%

I'm feeling very good about these.
Posted By: Tania Jack Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/11/12 08:05 AM
1- finish my internship successfully and search for a lucrative job 2- achieve a much more body shape as compared to last year.(m working hard in workout nowadays :d)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/16/12 01:53 AM
Dear Botox -

Those are great goals! It really helps to make your goals specific. So rather than say "Achieve a much more body shape" - find a way to quantify what you want. Is it a certain pound? A certain fat percentage? A certain thing you can do? You don't have to tell us of course, but it's important that YOU know that measurement, so you can aim for it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 07/16/12 01:56 AM
OK on my one year goals, they are this -

* Clean One Room a Week
* Self Publish all 10 medieval novels
* Graduate College!!
* Fat at 18%

I'm nearly at the 10 medieval novels which is great. I'm whittling down the college courses; they'll be done next spring.

But I'm not going to the gym any more which means I can't practice pull-ups. We don't have any way to do pull-ups at home. So I think as much as I want to do them, I need to find a different way to build up my arm strength. Maybe I should focus on push-ups instead, since I can do those at home?

The promo books are still in a row in my office. There are MUCH fewer than before, but I still have that row. So I should list them for editors and also have a time limit. That is, some of these books I keep listing and listing and nobody wants them. So I should set a limit for myself that after four months and repeated tries, if nobody really wants one, despite my best efforts, that I do a giveaway with it on the site. That way we still use it for a "site related purpose".
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/03/12 03:42 AM
I need to reexamine my five year goals and then make new one year goals.

Let me check on my priorities and see if they are all still in line with what I want. Need to find that thread.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/03/12 03:50 AM
Found it. Here is the Priotity setting thread.

And here is my Priority List:

Stability, health/fitness, serenity, creativity, order, joy/fun

I'm still happy with the priorities and can't think of any changes. These are all being addressed in my life in some way or another. I'd like to focus more on health/fitness and order, but the other four areas are taking care of themselves lately. For the most part.

I don't remember if I am supposed to make five year goals or one year goals next.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 08/03/12 04:20 AM
I'm back. I had to look at the first post in this thread and Lisa says to lay out five year goals first.

I still find that harder than one year goals.

I'm going to try to work it out here (not in any order; numbers are for my convenience):

Five Years (by 2017)
1. House will have become liveable, weatherized, and acceptable-looking from the outside, off-grid and totally green
2. Have the entire feral colony neutered. No new kittens! I won't be a cat shelter anymore!
3. Have published five ebooks on frugal and green living
4. Made top 500 reviewer rank on amazon
5. Everything in the lean to and in the house will be completely organized and a source of soothing peace for me
6. My weight will have been stable at 130 pounds, plus or minus three pounds
7. Be back to regular jogging (or some daily fitness practice)
8. Be comfortably on SSI and living well under my means
9. TBD
10. TBD

One Year (summer of 2013)
1. Have done a blood test
2. Have an adventure partner for hiking, camping, paddling, etc. Not a romantic partner but a consistent outdoor counterpart. I want to set aside time and effort to make this happen. I need it.
3. NACOG will have weatherized my house before next summer
4. Get JC, Bigwig, Giles, the kittens of Giles, Fleck and Scorpius all neutered
5. Figured out what to do with Serenity and the White Jeep
6. The Studio will be 75% or more on solar power
7. One permanent living space will be carved out of my trailer home, and the storage space will be organized (not a heap of stuff)
8. My first ebook on frugal living will be published
9. I will have worked out a stable, consistent and nutritious solution to my food issues
10. Back to jogging (or some fitness activity) consistently three + days a week

So that is a nice ten goals for each set, with the caveat that I want to leave space to think about two more five year goals.
Okay, Here are some goals for myself:

by summer 2017:
-will be on a good financial plan that is leading us toward getting our homestead type place. At this time, we would be looking into where to relocate and making plans to move.
-have several knitting patterns and ebooks available for sale.
-I will have published articles or patterns in well-known knitting magazines
-I will have completed my massage therapy education, which should allow me to practice as a professional with liability insurance.
-I will be fully self employed.

by Summer 2013
- will have all articles from previous editor overwritten on knitting site.
-will have a financial system where all of my families bills are paid each month, including student loans, retirement plans and saving for future home.
-will have knitting ebook(lets) for sale - one on washcloth patterns, one for socks, one for scarves/shawls
-will have independent design website up and running. Will have two patterns for sale by end of Summer.
-will be in Amazon Vine program.
-will have nature trail at day job well under way - will apply for grants to get habitat improvement and possible greenhouse for the school.

I think Jilly's 10 goals each is awesome and inspiring. I may comeback and revamp these goals soon!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/08/12 03:49 AM
Jilly -

Those are awesome long term and short term goals, very well done! I know they will bring you joy smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/08/12 03:50 AM
Lisa -

Those are great goals! Definitely those are all well within reach, and we can help you achieve them smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/08/12 03:52 AM
On my own one year goals, I do nearly have the promo books down under 10, which is great! I'm making enormous progress on the book piles. I feel very happy about that.

I'm working diligently through the email backlog. That also feels good to get more caught up with.

I'm doing the final processing of my last of the 10 medieval novels. I'll send a reminder out to my review team to get the feedback to me, and I'll go from there!

I need to promote the empty sites more, to find editors for them. I hate to see them languish empty. That does need to be something I do every day, to seek out editors for them.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/20/12 02:03 AM
I last reviewed my one year / short term goals in July, so it's time to do that again!

* Clean One Room a Week
* Graduate College!!
* Fat at 18%

I was able to take my "10 medieval novels" off the list, which is great. College will be done next spring which is also great. I have been wanting to graduate for literally **20 years** which is scary. I will be so so happy when I do!

I want to add a fresh medieval novel goal on here. I have 5 books in stages. So I think a reasonable goal is to have 2 of them published.

When I look around really all I see is the clutter. So it's important for me to focus on the decluttering tasks. It wears at me. I am ramping up efforts to get stuff out of the house but I have to push harder. It's hard for me to tackle other projects until I have some room to breathe.

How are you guys doing with your short term / one year list? What would you like to have at the end of a year?
Interesting and effective for achieving our goals by making a list and letting others know to encourage us to really accomplish our one year goals. My short list: -Less time on emails -More organization office/home -don't take work home, unless emergency -read more for pleasure -explore Christine
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 11/27/12 01:18 AM
Christine -

That's a great start! Most books on setting goals indicate that they work best if they are S.M.A.R.T -

Specific
Meaningful
Attainable
Realistic
Timely

So "less time on emails" is a great start - now think how you could make a goal out of that. Have you ever determined how much time you spend NOW on email? Try tracking it for a week. I know in my life it's staggering smile. So once you see what your daily average is, think of what a better number would be. Is it realistic? I imagine 30 seconds probably isn't, but maybe 1 hour is.

That's the goal you set for yourself! Then each day you think of small steps to take towards that goal. You unsubscribe from lists, you create auto-responses, that sort of thing.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/11/13 03:38 AM
Time to revisit my one year goals. It seems that my life is abuot to be entirely ripped up and re-written this year, so I think I can scratch off most of my Summer 2013 goals as No Longer Applicable.

Hmmm. New things to work on by summer 2013:

- down to the 500 reviewer's rank badge at Amazon (current rank of 570).

- figured out where I am supposed to be living.

- gotten help for the hoarding and a plan to work on it.

- figured out if I will try to return to work or apply again for SSI.

- create a system of extrinsic rewards for getting things done on the daily level in my life.

That's all I can think of right now. I need to make a thread about finding a reward system.
Posted By: Smear Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/16/13 07:06 AM
My goal for this year to be a profession by work and also finance other members as well.
Posted By: Omily Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/23/13 04:00 AM
First is to find a good job.
Second is to travel to Tibet.
And I hope my parents can be healthy. smile
Posted By: Omily Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/23/13 04:02 AM
First is to find a good job.
Second is to travel to Tibet.
And I hope my parents can be healthy. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/28/13 08:02 PM
Dear Jilly -

Those are awesome one year goals! They are concrete and apply to your priorities in life. They are attainable. They can be handled with small, easy steps. We'd love to help in any way we can!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/31/13 07:59 PM
Omily -

Finding a job is a great goal, and traveling to Tibet sounds like amazing fun! Both of those are wonderful goals, and they are ones you can break down into discrete steps.

Is there any way to have steps in your own life which would lead to your parents having better health?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/31/13 08:09 PM
OK I last did my one-year goals last November so it's definitely time to look at the list. I had:

* Clean One Room a Week
* Publish 2 new medieval novels
* Graduate College!!
* Fat at 18%

The college one is so close! I was just choosing my final three classes for my degree. It was bittersweet. I am SO SO happy about earning the degree - but I'm going to miss the classes! I have learned so much in those classes.

I have been working on the medieval novels on and off, and making progress. I'm working on five at once and three are each about half written. So we'll see which two get "done" this year.

That poor wedding book is just stalled. I need to give some thought to that.

I want to add in that I want to publish the 2012 mystery novel, and then write the 2013 mystery novel in NaNoWriMo.

The "clean one room" is not really a yearly goal. Goals need to have a specific end date and be measurable. So I think this doesn't meet those criteria. What would I really like by the end of this year? How about just having my OFFICE in a finally fully organized state. I will aim for that.

I can take the < 10 books on promo list item off the list! That promo pile is finally well under control.

I have to take the unassisted pull-up off the list. As much as I really want to do it, the gear is at the gym, and I don't go there.

The practicing guitar / piano once a week also suffer from the "not an end goal" issue. So I need to reword those into end goals. How about "play moonlight sonata with music" and "play dueling banjos with music". That makes more sense.

OK so that would make my current list:

* Graduate College!!
* Have office fully organized
* Publish 2 medieval novels
* Publish 1 mystery novel (2012)
* Write 1 mystery novel (2013 nanowrimo)
* Body Fat at 18%
* Play moonlight sonata on piano with music
* Play dueling banjos on guitar with music

That seems to be much better in terms of items which can "end" at some point within a year, and have measurable, meaningful, attainable attributes to them.

I'm printing the new list out right now to hang by my desk!

How are you guys doing?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/05/13 12:21 AM
Thank you, Lisa. Here is my recent progress:

- down to the 500 reviewer's rank badge at Amazon. Today the rank is 527. It is inching closer to the coveted under-500 spots. It might take a few more months to get there, but I really enjoy putting up reviews.

Update a few days later: rank is 516.

- figure out where I am supposed to be living: I actually more or less have this one planned! At least for the next year or two. I'll be in Florida a few weeks more, then San Diego, then go back to Camp Verde. When in Camp Verde, I need to figure out who to help me bring Serenity to Yuma. From there, I can hang out in Yuma until it gets too hot, and spend the hot months in San Diego. Then enjoy the fall and winter in Yuma again, and leave in the fall of 2014 for Europe. I will stay in Europe until I run out of money to sleep in hostels. I have no further plans for when I get back from Europe, hopefully not until Fall of 2014. I don't want or need to have a plan for past that point. I guess i will go back to Yuma and live in Serenity, unless I have a compelling reason to be elsewhere.

- gotten help for the hoarding and a plan to work on it. Somewhere I need to squeeze this in. I found a yahoo group that I need to fill out an application for, and they only let so many people in at a time.

- figure out if I will try to return to work or apply again for SSI: I decided I need to apply for SSI. I really am not well enough to be working.

- create a system of extrinsic rewards for getting things done on the daily level in my life. I am consciously working on this. I'll update this later, but I have some good ideas to start with.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/05/13 08:57 AM
Lisa and Jilly, it sounds like you both have made good progress on your goals. Jilly, your travels sound so exciting!

I took a look at my goals as well
- 30 lb weight loss to ideal weight
-Pay off at least one credit card
- Run 5k by Feb 24th
-Increase page views

I've lost 5.5 of my 30 lbs. I've been sick recently so I have actually lost another 6 lbs, but I won't count that since it's from not eating for 2 todays.

I managed to pay off 1 credit card.

I have made my travel plans to get to the marathon in Disney at the end of the month to run the marathon.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/06/13 11:37 PM
What is this Disney marathon?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/17/13 11:13 PM
Update: today my Amazon rank is 506! I am almost at my second milestone goal! That makes me feel happy.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 02/28/13 05:13 PM
YAY! Over last weekend I achieved the second half of my goal to make it to the Top 500 level of Amazon reviewers. I was so happy to see that 500 badge, and I am content to let it stay within the 500s. I think 500 out of 15 million is a nice place to sit. :-)

I even took myself out that evening to celebrate.

All I have do do now is maintain the 500 level. So my rank today is 481. This has been a fun goal to pursue, and I enjoyed every second of it. It had the trifecta for me of interest, aptitude and an external reward system (the badges).
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/29/13 01:06 PM
Jilly -

Congratulations, that is amazing! What a wonderful milestone to have achieved, through diligent effort. I'm so glad it all came together for you!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 04/29/13 01:08 PM
With today's Monday weigh-in I achieved my goal of reaching 18% body fat or less! I am now at 17.2% body fat, thanks to my juice cleanse. Hurrah!

So my new goal for the body fat area is 16.5%, which is in line with my five year goal of reaching 16%.

Also, I did publish my first mystery novel, Aspen Allegations! I enjoyed that process a lot. So that is now off my list.

I am in the final stretch towards graduating from college, after all these years! I am in week 4 of 6 for two courses, on consumer behavior and digital photography. Then I start up one final course and that's it. Hurrah!

How are you guys all doing on your one year goals?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/08/13 05:02 PM
I've done an update of my 5 year goals, which means an update of my 1 year goals to point towards those!

So I reduced my medieval novel expectations to just one, as I'm adding in a sci-fi novel. I'm also increasing my expectations for the wedding-courtships series, to revamp all 3 books and also have the new Native American one coming out. I have to figure out what is going on with my publisher on that. I'll write them again today. They've been "stalled" since last October.

* Graduate College!!
* Have zero email messages in all BellaOnline to-do folders
* Revise 3 original wedding – courtship books
* Write / publish 1 romance novel
* Write / publish 1 mystery novel (August day-at-a-time)
* Write / publish 1 sci-fi novel
* Have fire pit finished, with bugleweed along stone wall
* Body Fat at 16.5%

How are you guys doing?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/02/14 12:18 AM
It's the start of a new year - always the perfect time to work on goal planning! It's what keeps you on course to achieve your dreams smile

Make sure you do the five year / long term goals first. That way you're sure these short term goals help you move towards an end result you want smile.

Here are my new one year goals!

* Finish / publish 1 medieval romance novel
* Publish Book 2 in Murder Mystery series
* Write Book 3 in Murder Mystery Series (May 1-30)
* Revise / publish 1 sci-fi novel
* Publish 6 more novellas
* Get all existing ebooks organized and live in all systems
* Body Fat at 16.5%
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/02/14 12:20 AM
When you're at the point of one year goals, you're into manageable chunks. Now take one of them, look for the forum that applies to that topic, and start a thread for it. Figure out how to plan for just one step to take toward that goal. Even a little step is a good one!
Posted By: Prospect Wisdom Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/07/14 02:16 PM
(spam removed)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/27/14 04:40 PM
Summertime is a great time to reset your one-year goals! Remember to work on your overall life priorities and then long-term (5 year) goals first. That way you can be sure that these shorter term goals are moving you in an overall direction you want to go. So many times in life we work on short term goals and then realize we didn't want to go in that direction after all.

Here are mine!

* Finish / publish 1 medieval romance novel
* Write Book 3 in Murder Mystery Series (May 1-30)
* Revise / publish 1 sci-fi novel
* Publish 6 more novellas
* Body Fat at 16.5%

So I did achieve something - publishing my second murder mystery - which won a bronze medal! I'm working on #3 and on the novellas. I need to make progress in some of these other areas. The office is again a mess, for example smile.

So a little each day!

What are your guys' goals for the year?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/27/14 04:42 PM
So, for example, I'm going to make a thread in the fiction writing forum about my sci-fi novel, to talk about the challenges there. That will help me make progress toward that goal. If I never work on it, I'll never achieve it.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/27/14 10:12 PM
I've found that having a chaotic life means I can't get anywhere with any actual goals - I've been trying with this thread now for years.

So I had to move to a very simple system - I now have a daily routine checklist in five categories: nutrition, fitness, house, hygiene, and Us (relationship and work combined, since we work together).

So far it's been actually working. I'm hugely excited. I will be able to have supplementary goals once I have a handle on having healthy routines in my daily life.
I have found myself "drilling down" lately and getting closer to working on what is important. I'm trying to eliminate time spent on frivolous annoying things that do not contribute to my "big picture", which I guess would be the culmination of my 5 year goals.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/28/14 12:59 AM
Yes...I need to get on that. whistle LOL!

Happy to see this thread pop-up.

I need to set new One Year Goals. There is a lot going on in my life and goals would help me put things in better perspective.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/25/14 10:02 AM
Half way through 2014. If you set goals for 2014, how are you doing? Which ones made it past February?

1 - I'm continuing my training with the hopes of doing better in my second half-marathon in Feb. 2015.

2 - I did some clean up around yard, including getting an 8x10 falling apart shed out of my back yard.

3 - It's hit or miss on the eating, I'm doing better, but still working on it.

How is everyone else doing?
Posted By: BB -Body Care Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/25/14 11:26 AM
I'm so busy that I can't take time to plan or set goals. I definitely need to take pen to paper and set a few proper goals.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/25/14 02:45 PM
BB - I'm right there too - sometimes I'm just working on staying afloat. I do like setting goals though, it helps me to see just how far I progressed on certain things.

When you have a moment, I would love to hear what you came up with. :-)
Posted By: Jilly Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 06/25/14 04:31 PM
My organization goals are coming along. Less clothes all the time, less stuff - finding homes for all my stuff, and labeling them.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/23/15 08:17 PM
OK time to revisit my one year goals! I've hit some of them and others I'm still working toward.

* Finish / publish Ghost medieval romance novel
* Publish Book 3 in Murder Mystery series
* Write Book 4 in Murder Mystery Series
* Publish 8 more novellas
* Finish 1800s series
* Finish Rumble Strip series
* Body Fat at 16.5%
* Play Mozart song on piano with music

I will print a fresh copy of this out and hang it by my desk. That way I can make sure I make some progress on at least a few things each day! Those little steps add up smile.
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/14/15 11:10 AM
One year goals:
8 submissions per month to children's magazines;
1 submission per month of my children's books;
4 children's writer's conferences attended per year;
Regular exercise routine;
Eating better.
Finish writing my book on tea leaf reading;
Finish writing my cookbook.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 05/14/15 11:12 AM
Okay - so I'm breaking down my five year goals into my one year goals now.

Health:
Get a regular yoga practice.
Be in a comfortable size 14.

Relationships:
Weekly coffee date with a real-life friend
Weekend activity with family.

Fiction
Publish at least 2 paranormal romances

Non-fiction.
Finish and publish my book on spiritual living - it's NEARLY done!
Finish my book on shamanism.

Grow my business
Get with the current modern web practices (opt ins and stuff)
Have a monthly offer
Get BETTER at marketing (I absolutely suck at it)
Deanna, how are you doing on your one year goals?
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/27/15 09:14 AM
Oy, Alice, it's slow going. My life turned upside down a bit with caring for my mom and aunt, and that groove, just when I think I'm getting into it, turns into a bump LOL!!

I have been working with a coach though who has been helping me.

And NOW I have a writing buddy (Thanks Chel). I LOVE writing, especially working on my books, but it's the activity that gets ignored when issues with family come up.

Health - I saw an herbalist, and am on things that support my liver and digestive health - noticing small improvements, but improvement none-the-less wink

Family activities - getting busier all the time YAY!!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/11/16 08:13 PM
OK here was my list from January 2015 -

* Finish / publish Ghost medieval romance novel
* Publish Book 3 in Murder Mystery series
* Write Book 4 in Murder Mystery Series
* Publish 8 more novellas
* Finish 1800s series
* Finish Rumble Strip series
* Body Fat at 16.5%

OK some of these are done and some are no longer applicable. So if I think about December 2017, and where I want to be, I will aim for:

* Finish Native American courtship traditions Book
* Write / publish deaf-heroine medieval romance novel
* Publish Book 4 + 5 in Murder Mystery series
* Write Book 6 in Murder Mystery Series
* Get all RomanceClass ebooks live
* Have 'getting published' and 'author marketing' books live
* Have 320 books published
* Have office organized
* Have decent watercolor paintings
* Body Fat at 16.5%
* Play 3 songs on guitar
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 12/11/16 08:19 PM
When you have your one-year goals set, it's good to now focus in on the short term goals that you work with.

http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/619836/
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/24/18 08:47 AM
Before you work on the one-year goals, make sure you first have set up your Five Year Goals

OK it's been a year since I set up my one-year goals :) :). Let's see how I've done.

* BellaOnline at < 60 empty sites - NOPE
* Have zero email messages in all BellaOnline to-do folders - LOL NOPE
* Finish Native American courtship traditions Book - NOPE
* Write / publish deaf-heroine medieval romance novel - NOPE
* Publish Book 4 + 5 in Murder Mystery series - YES!!! :)
* Write Book 6 in Murder Mystery Series - getting there
* Get all RomanceClass ebooks live - NOPE
* Have 'getting published' and 'author marketing' books live - YES!!! :)
* Have 320 books published - YES!! :)
* Have office organized - LOLOL no
* Have decent watercolor paintings - ummmm no. They are squiggles.
* Do Downward Dog very well - NOPE
* Body Fat at 16.5% - NO WAY
* Play 3 songs on guitar - NOPE
* Play Mozart song on piano with music - NOPE

OK that's a bit discouraging. I did hit a few of them but I completely lost the thread on other ones.

That's why these lists help, to keep you on track with what is important to you.

OK so time to get a fresh energy to tackle these. Let's see.

* Publish Book 6 and Book 7 in Murder Mystery Series
* Revamp all 16 books in my author / social networking series
* Revamp all 13 low carb books
* Write / publish deaf-heroine medieval romance novel
* Finish Native American courtship traditions book
* Have 375 books published
* Have office organized
* Body Fat at 16.5%
* Play 3 songs on guitar

I need to focus on this more, this year, if I am going to get more things done.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 09/12/19 06:23 PM
Woo hoo! I actually did make progress! I published book 6 in my murder mystery. I redid all 16 books and now have 20 books in that set. I published the deaf-heroine book. I now have 400 books published!

Others need help, but I am working on them! Time to renew my focus!

* Publish Book 7 in Murder Mystery Series
* Revamp all 20 books in my author / social networking series
* Have 500 books published
* Have office organized
* Body Fat at 16.5%
* Play 3 songs on guitar
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What are your One Year Goals? - 01/25/21 02:27 AM
OK I have published more books but not the Native American one yet nor book 7 in my Murder Mystery series. I've decided not to try to work on the guitar right now. Time to do some revamping of my low carb books!

* Publish Book 7 in Murder Mystery Series
* Revamp all 20 books in my author / social networking series
* Have 500 books published
* Have office organized
* Create children’s book with my watercolors
* Body Fat at 16.5%