BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/11/13 04:00 AM
I've read a tremendous amount about goal setting, and one thing commonly recommended is to reward yourself by reaching goals, or milestones along the way to them.

I've discovered that giving myself goals is an exercise in futility. It just doesn't work for me. I end up not feeling invested. It's too much effort and I don't seem to follow through.

On the other hand, I respond really well to rewards that others give me. For example, I enjoy improving my amazon rank to get the top reviewer badges. I like posting in forums to see my avatar ranks improve. I like shopping at REI because I get cash back each year, and at CVS because i get dollar rewards for purchases every time I shop. I also get dollar rewards at CVS for using my reusable bag - a great incentive to remember to bring my own bags.

So I have been thinking of what things I can do to set up external rewards systems.

Here are my ideas:

- Rewards and mileages on credit card purchases. I can't get a credit card myself, but it remains a good idea.

- Signing up for the Walgreens walking/fitness program and using their system to account for exercising - they give you free items for achieving points. Okay, looking it up it is called Walk With Walgreens, and you get ten points for every mile (or equivalent) you walk and report. ...looking more, i think you only get coupons for points. That's not really a motivation. I can get coupons anywhere online. Um. I'm going to sign up anyway and see how I feel about the program.

-Shop with places that send me rewards money for shopping there: ALCO, ACE, CVS, REI

- maybe i can find some kind of Mastermind program for something that matters to me? With a dedicated group of cheerleaders for each other?

Let me think about more ideas.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/11/13 04:28 AM
Okay, i am doing searches for 'rewards programs' and loyalty programs.

Swagbucks gives you points you can redeem for shopping cards by doing online searches through them. I'm going to sign up for this.

I just also found a Forbes article that is calling 2013 the Year of the Loyalty Program, and they mention 'gamification', which was something I was kicking around.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/11/13 05:21 AM
According to the Wikipedia entry on motivation, creating motivation is a big deal for treating Autism Spectrum Disorders. I guess I kind of knew that. Just FYI for anyone.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/11/13 05:34 AM
Aha! I found exactly what i wanted to find. Apparently there are apps to satisfy many rewards needs: Gamify your life. There are some fascinating societal elements addressed in this article series.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/11/13 07:56 AM
More rewards systems - target red debit card, coke rewards, ebates.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/12/13 05:01 AM
Update: I have been messing around with swagbucks and have 84 SBs already. They want you to DL their toolbar, which i did, and it seems to have slowed down my systems significantly. I am going to look into this more. I do like the idea of earning amazon gift cards!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 01/28/13 08:15 PM
Dear Jilly -

It is *fantastic* that you are taking steps to work on this. We are all different, and we all respond to different types of incentives!

In terms of exercise, the Biggest Loser site is free and they have challenges that win you prizes. Maybe you should try that!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 02/08/13 08:12 PM
OKay, I am going to try that.

I also was thinking to find a pedometer app with my iphone and work on making sure i get at least 10,000 steps a day. So far I am messing around with various unsatisfactory apps.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 02/08/13 08:19 PM
Swagbucks has been problematic so far - i downloaded it to my toolbar on Chrome, and it slowed things down to a standstill. I'm not sure if it is incompatible with chrome, or what.

I actually am now using firefox just to get away from having to figure out what to do about my browser.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 02/28/13 09:09 PM
Swagbucks update.

OK, i moved pretty much back to Firefox for my usual work, and have been keeping chrome for swagbucks. I am slowly getting into the habit of using it every day, so i can accumulate enough points for a $5 amazon gift card.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 03/07/13 04:07 AM
Still doing well with the swagbucks. I need to write an article on using the system, once i have earned my first reward. I'm not even halfway there, but it takes a while to remember to make something a daily habit.

I'm at 198 SBs.
Posted By: Ezine_LVer Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 03/07/13 04:51 AM
Swagbucks is Los Angeles based online rewards program. Wait for your further sharing of your experience!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 03/12/13 11:03 PM
Hi Ezine! I am not really that good at swagbucks yet - I still have to remind myself to log in, and it is a good day when I can make ten swagbucks. Some people make hundreds a day! That takes some commitment. :-)

Do you do swagbucks?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 03/13/13 01:27 AM
Working on my SBs. One for a poll, 2, and 2 for watching videos. Seven for a search win, seven for another. I have three points for just opening the toolbar, plus a facebook like...

...A bunch of things later, and i have earned 32 SBs this evening. my number total is now 243.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 03/13/13 02:04 AM
YAY! I went back in to the site and now have earned 96 SBs for the day, including the 9 that i got for making the 'daily goal' of 90 SBs.

I now have 311 SBs total.

This works, but is time consuming to get a full day's worth.

I need to start a new thread about journaling just this and put it in frugal living. I will add a link to that when I add it.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Creating Reward Systems for life - 03/16/13 09:45 PM
really enjoying the swagbucking now. It is not simple, but it gets addicting. I have already won two amazon gift cards.

Been making the daily goal five days in a row now. If I hit a week, I get bonus points. Also you get bonus points for each day you hit goal. Etc.

I need to write a book on doing this, since it really is fairly complicated to do it right and make it worthwhile.

Still need to find a system of rewards for working out. I haven't explored the Biggest Loser site yet. It is on my list. smile
© BellaOnline Forums