BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/01/08 07:31 AM
I live in a fairly rural area - there is very little traffic on my road. Bob wasn't feeling well so I had to bring out the trash to the curb - and the next day go bring it in. It was very early in the morning both times - around 4am - but even so I felt really silly going out in my PJs and robe.

Do other people go outside in their PJs?
Posted By: Claybird Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/01/08 01:07 PM
Well, I do put a coat over them when I go out at 5:30 for the paper.
I remember some insulted neighbor complaining to Dear Abby once about a neighbor going to the mail box in PJs. The answer given was that a person's home extends to the mailbox, and as long as that person is decently clothed when he can be seen by neighbors on his own property, it doesn't matter with what.
In other words, yes to the PJs, but no to the see-through nighties!
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/01/08 01:15 PM
Where i live at there are young n older people waiting at the bus stop in there jammies. in the grocery store , just about every where. i have to admit i do go out n shovel snow in my jammies. but thats as far as i go ;o)
Posted By: M o e Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/02/08 04:58 AM
Originally Posted By: skyhaven
Where i live at there are young n older people waiting at the bus stop in there jammies. in the grocery store , just about every where. i have to admit i do go out n shovel snow in my jammies. but thats as far as i go ;o)

We have this here too. It is a pet peeve of mine. If you are in your own yard or it's PJ day at work (we had that once) fine whatever. But to make a regular habit of going out in public in your flannel pants with rainbows, puppies, candies or whatever is just tacky.

I don't know what celebrity made this fashionable but they should be charged for it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/02/08 07:16 PM
Going out in the backyard in my jammies is my favorite way to have my fist cup of coffe - I bundle up, sip my coffee and watch the sun come up. Out front to get the paper or mail or take the garbage can out/in, that's ok. But, going elsewhere in jammies? - no, I don't think that is a good idea.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/08/08 01:08 AM
Yes I was wearing full flannels so a long sleeved flannel top and long flannel pants with a long robe over it, so it was completely covering. I still felt silly though smile

People wear their pajamas to the grocery store??

I don't mind being on my back porch in my pajamas, nobody can see me there smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/08/08 03:01 AM
I go into my own yard in my jammmies or robe if I feel like it. It's more covered up that a lot of things people wear in any case. smile
Posted By: Lisa_Orlando Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/08/08 03:53 AM
I have gone out in the yard or drive way in my rob and I think in the middle of the night when both my neighbor across the street and I were WIDE awake, I walked across the street to chat with her.

I don't wear pajamas to sleep in, so I have a long terry cloth rob on. I have also driven to a drive through in my rob OR when it was raining I would drive my daughter to the bus stop in my rob and sat there until the bus came.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/11/08 12:17 AM
LOL ok I don't think I've ever driven my car in my PJs smile
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/11/08 01:00 AM
I see people here in Los Angeles taking their kids to school in their pajama bottoms and slippers. I see kids at stores like this and I have a neighbor who works in her driveway in her pjs and she is in her 50s
I think pajamas on your own property is ok -- not ideal, but ok.

Anywhere else, though, pajamas are ridiculous.

(My one exception might be if you're living on a college campus.)
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/15/08 11:38 PM
Okay, yesterday I took out my recycling to the curb in my footie pajamas. I thought of ya'll. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/15/08 11:39 PM
I also think it's fine for moms to drop kids off in their pjs. As long it is not sexy lingerie! wink
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/15/08 11:51 PM
LOL Jilly that is too cool smile

Footies!! I don't have any footies. I always loved those. And my feet are always cold too, I always have to wear thick socks. Maybe I'll have to look into getting some ...
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/17/08 06:22 AM
OK Jilly I thought of you -

"William Torres, 21, was arrested in Allentown, Pa., and charged in connection with two homicides; he was taken into custody after a Friday afternoon traffic stop in January, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, pajama bottoms and fuzzy slippers with a lion's face. [Morning Call (Allentown), 1-26-08]"

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/17/08 08:16 PM
that IS news of the weird! What a...well...cute way for a murderer to dress. I guess he won't get fuzzy slippers in his cell though.
Posted By: Owl Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/18/08 08:14 PM
I agree with you guys. On your own property, wear whatever you want. But PJ's at the grocery store, mall, post office, etc? Horribly tacky. Especially when paired with slippers.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/19/08 12:05 AM
When I was little, there used to be a mom in the neighborhood who drove her kids to school in her robe, slippers and a magic turban on her head. We always wondered what she would do if she got into an accident!

I've never worn pajamas outside of my house except on my screened-in porch. There, when the weather is nice, I love to have breakfast in a fancy robe or even sit out there at night with only a candle burning. But of course, I don't think I can be seen too well so it doesn't matter that much.

I have no problem if people want to wear their PJs outside to dump the trash, etc. But I really don't want to see people venturing any further out looking frumpy (or undressed). It's bad enough when people don't bother to dress up for important events; I really don't want to see PJs at the grocery store. Let's have some dignity!

Posted By: keefe Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/19/08 12:28 AM
I am a day sleeper(read Night worker) I have to take my dogs out several times a day in my rural, dirt road, neighborhood and I don't feel the least bit guilty about wearing my P.J.'s. I am more than decently covered, (and on the reallly cold days I've got extra on) and who is looking if they are driving by? They are supposed to be watching the road, feeding their children, doing their hair/makeup, talking on their cell, checking the GPS, putting in a DVD.....PULLEASE!!!!!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/19/08 04:09 AM
Welcome Keefe! smile

LOL I think a dirt road and taking out a dog definitely calls for comfort!
Posted By: Jennifer-Living Simply Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/19/08 04:40 AM
It drives me absolutely insane when I see teenagers or college age kids in the grocery store or the mall with slippers and PJs on. My dad would have never let me leave the house. Why doesn't anybody get dressed anymore????
Posted By: Carol- Today In History Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/19/08 05:16 AM
hehehe, I did get into a car accident once driving my kids to school with slippers on. They were rubber soled fleecy things. I have the feeling that no one noticed since we were distracted by other things.

I never imaged getting out of the car dressed that way, but I still haven't learned my lesson. I do a lot of quick drop offs dressed inappropriately and hoping that no one sees me. That's always been where I draw the line. I will go out dressed inappropriately, but never with the intention to be seen.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/19/08 05:21 PM
I honestly think that as long as people are covered up, that they can do whatever they like. Who am I to judge? smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/22/08 06:07 AM
Well my concern would be with car driving, that your feet wouldn't have adequate control over the pedals without having shoes on your feet. For example I would never drive barefoot smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/22/08 10:34 AM
Whoa! shocked I drove barefoot a lot when I was much younger and living in California where almost everyone I knew ran around barefoot all summer. I never gave a thought then as to how dangerous that could be. Now that I think about it, one has more control of the pedals with shoes on. If there had been something on the pedal that hurt or tickled my foot I would have been up the creek - or in the creek! Scary! cry
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/22/08 06:16 PM
I am talking about pajamas, not slippers lisa, LOL!

and yeah, driving barefoot is a bit dangerous. I used to do it cross country when i was younger, and the pedals get very hot after many hours.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/23/08 06:26 PM
ooooe! I remember the sticky feet on the pedal issue!

I don't remember ever leaving home in my pajamas, but I did throw on a coat over my 'baby dolls' once to run to the store for milk and orange juice. I was barefoot then, too.
I wore my pajamas (and slippers) to take my kids to school one time.

I had been sick with a migraine all night, felt horrible, so just didn't feel like getting dressed. Especially since i would be coming home and taking medicine and going back to sleep.

I had a wreck!

This kid from the high school decided he wanted to beat the light, and turned right in front of me. Luckily I was only going about 30 mi/hr because there's this huge hole in the road, so it wasn't serious. But I had to face the police in my PJs. blush

Never since have I gone out without getting fully dressed. Except if I'm feeling rotten, I still will wear my slippers, LOL!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/23/08 10:52 PM
Wow Michelle doesn't it figure that the one time you do it, you are talking to the police!
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/23/08 10:54 PM
I useto go barefootin all the time till i saw a guy blow his nose on the ground and another spit out a big lungy. i wont go bare footin out side ever again. i did wear my jammies out to shovel snow last winter. under my jacket of course
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/12/08 11:04 PM
Now this is funny smile I recently got a pajama set that had long purple pants, a short-sleeved purple top and a purple striped shorts. I would never wear shorts to sleep so I figured those were a never-wear item. However, today it was hot out so I was in the back yard in a light blue halter and the purple shorts which actually went nicely with it. So then when we went out to do our shopping I kept the pair on.

So technically I was in half of my pajamas today - but visually I had on a yoga-like top along with yoga-like shorts ...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 06/11/08 02:48 AM
there are a lot of clothes that look pajama-like and a lot of pajamas that look like clothes. People should wear whatever they like and are comfortable in. smile
Posted By: Kristin Davis Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 03/14/09 03:09 AM
I occasionally grab my mail in my PJ's. But I usually put a sweatshirt on over them so I look like I'm just in casual clothes.
Posted By: Decorum-Is-Key Lisa Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/08/09 06:12 PM
Although I'm sure you want to make most everyone happy, a statement like yours might want to be reconsidered. If someone is comfortable wearing clothes which look and smell like they have been slept in, it's hardly appropriate. Further, if your neighbor is comfortable in a braless tank and tap pants to get the mail, mow the lawn and go grocery shopping that doesn't give them the right to offend everyone around them. We have rights but you don't parade your "rights" by irritating and offending those you come in contact with. You can wear what you like in the privacy of your own home. You can also yell "Fire" in the privacy of your own home. The public, however, should not be subjected to what's only comfortable for you.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/09/09 10:09 PM
That does make sense, you want to find a happy merging of "what I am comfortable in" with "what is in proper taste for the situation". So if you're comfortable being nude, that might not be appropriate if you're going for a walk by a children's playground smile
Posted By: MaryEllen_AnimalLife Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/09/09 11:02 PM
I walk my dog every night between 10 and 11 pm, and yes, I do it in my pjs, which for me are pj pants and a tshirt. I do put on shoes. But I live in a quiet neighborhood at the end of a dead-end street, so no one is going to be driving by on their way to anyplace, and I almost never see cars anyway. It's pitch black out, after all!

I also get up early in the mornings to go outside to feed any animals that I am rehabbing, and I wear my pjs for that, because I feed them and then go back to bed.

It's funny, I don't feel strange or bad about doing that, but some days when I get up and don't have to go anywhere or do anything, I wear my pjs until late in the afternoon - and that makes me feel much worse than walking the dog in my pjs! Walking the dog in my phs is okay, but just wearing them around the house makes me feel slovenly.
Posted By: Lisa Beth - Houseplants Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/09/09 11:53 PM
I think I kind of agree with Lisa P. I am a student at a very large university and it drives me crazy when half of a 300 student class is in their musty pajamas. lol! When it gets warm, the odor is actually pretty offensive.

I do think that its fine to wear comfortable clothing such as pjs or sweats if they are in nice condition and clean. Its when the rear end of the pants are worn thin or the colors are all faded that it begins to make me uncomfortable. It tells me that this person must not be very clean - because the last thing I want to do after a shower is put on two-day-old pajamas.

Its about when, where, and proximity to your closest neighbor.
Posted By: LINDA_IN_OHIO Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/17/09 11:34 PM
I saw a young mother at the store in her pajamas. It was about 6:00 in the evening and she was with her husband or boyfriend and her child. The pajamas looked as if they had been slept in for a week and the bottoms of the pajama legs were filthy where they had drug on the ground,pavement, or floors of the store wherever she had walked. When I see someone in the store looking like that I think to myself,they must not care what they look like and they take no pride in the way they look. The guy she was with looked nice in a tee shirt and jeans. By the way I do go out in my back yard in my pajamas.
Posted By: Decorum-Is-Key Lisa Re: Going Outside in Pajamas - 04/22/09 06:28 PM
I love perusing the thread this topic has taken. Because this topic takes place on the etiquette forum, it's fun to see where this has taken us, discussion-wise.
The origin of eitquette surrounds the topic of others. Me, self, I, etc. are not typically central when etiquette is being considered. Etiquette focuses on those around us, those we come into contact with and how our actions impact those contacts.
From an etiquette standpoint we are putting PJ wearing in the context of how our attire is affecting those around us. PJs in our our driveway, our backyards, our decks/patios and in our homes are seperate from public view.
When we wear bedroom attire out in public, as stated in the threads above, we are conveying certain images to certain people. For some, they are uncomfortable with it. And that's something that needs to be considered no matter what you wear or do or say when you are around other people.
© BellaOnline Forums