BellaOnline
Posted By: Anonymous Frustrated in Spanish 1 (College) - 10/01/05 02:37 PM
Hello. I am in Spanish 1 and just can NOT understand how I know which word order a sentence goes in AND when to use the "el, de, etc." I am soooooooooooooo frustrated and it's the only class I need in order to graduate. I want to learn this and did know some "street" spanish but this is castillian and way more complicated. Please HELP me understand this !!!!!!!! Thank you !!!
Hello Treyce, and first of all, sorry so much for the delay!

Ok, about word order in a sentence, I can't give you concrete rules; the only think will help you is reading Spanish texts as much as possible. And don't know exactly what your Spanish level is, but try to pay attention to Spanish text. You don't have to buy books, but reading websites in this language can help a lot.

About the words "el", "de", etc... well, just note that "el" = "the", defined article used with masculine singular nouns.

el gato, el ni�o, el perro, etc...

On the other hand, we have "�l" (with accent), personal pronoun, and equivalent to the English one "he".

i.e: �l es alto; �l es mi amigo.

About "de", this is a preposition, and the equivalent to the English "of" or "from".

Again, Treyce, sorry for the delay, and hope to hear soon from you.

Adi�s!!!
© BellaOnline Forums