BellaOnline
Posted By: babyblueprep Tax time tips? - 01/22/08 06:32 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get organized for doing taxes? I feel overwhelmed, yet can't afford to pay someone else to do them for me! I feel like it is just so many forms and different things to consider... does anyone have any recommendations that I can wrap my head around?
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Tax time tips? - 01/22/08 07:53 PM
Check to see if there are any organizations are offering free tax advice. Our local library has volunteers available two nights a week to answer tax questions and to help with forms. I'm sure there is something similar in your area.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Tax time tips? - 01/22/08 08:39 PM
There's a whole section on taxes on BellaOnline Taxes written by Kate Woods.

Her article Organizing your Tax Information might be what you're looking for.

Or, visit her forum (look under Money in the Channel list) for more info.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Tax time tips? - 01/23/08 03:47 AM
One key is having your finances organized in general. This is a great time of year to do it! Start fresh for 2008.

What I do is have a portable file folder by my desk with folders for various categories - "secret shopping", "origami", etc. When I get in bills or receipts for a category I file them right away. I have a folder for utilities, one for bank statements etc. That way everything is all organized.

I use QuickBooks so every month I just hit one button and it downloads my bank statement and credit card statements right in. No work, no muss, everything auto categorizes.

So at the end of the year it's really just a matter of printing out a few reports!
Posted By: babyblueprep Re: Tax time tips? - 01/24/08 07:57 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! I think I should look into Quick Books and try to just be better about sorting in general.

I've also found a free help center in my area so that was a great suggestion. Granted, they're not tax law gurus, but it is so nice to have someone to go over things with me!
© BellaOnline Forums