BellaOnline
Okay, so I just read an article about Demi Lovato- apparently, she removed herself from the Jonas Brothers tour and the new season of her show, Sonny With a Chance, will start shooting without her. All this because she's checked herself in to a treatment facility for health issues- specifically emotional and physical issues. As for the emotional issues, apparently it's something she's dealt with for a long time, and past bullying episodes and self- esteem issues play into it. The article I read didn't go into specifics about the physical issues, but another article alluded to self- mutilation in the form of cutting.

That said, I am concerned, because many teens look up to her. It is great and she should be commended for choosing her mental health over her career, but what about the thousands of young girls who aspire to be like her- or who may feel that if the beautiful and talented Demi Lovato doesn't feel like she's good enough, I'll never stand a chance? I think we should take this opportunity to talk to our girls and our boys about self- esteem, bullying, and other mental health issues. What do you think? How can we best use this situation to pour into the lives of our kids?
Sad, especially that I found this out from my 12 year old and they do feel pressure to look and act a certain way.

It's important to talk to kids about this as early as possible and to get them involved in extra curricular activities where they can feel confident and not judged. Karate, computer, gymastics, or art. I think it's important to find something your child is good at and help them be even better at it. This is a huge confidence booster, I think : )
© BellaOnline Forums