BellaOnline
Posted By: Marci - Kids TV Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/18/08 03:54 AM
I had a friend tell me that she doesn't allow her kids to watch Scooby-doo, because it is too scary for them and has too many "adult themes". Her kids are about the same age as my girls who are 5 and 6, and my kids love the show and I have never had a problem with it.

There doesn't seem to be any "adult themes" that I have seen, and believe me I have heard every rumor and bad bash about it. And my girls enjoy the mysteries and don't find the creatures terrifying.

So what do you guys think? What's a good age to let your kids start watching Scooby-Doo? Do you like or dislike the show? And why?
Posted By: Lesley Aeschliman Re: Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/18/08 03:58 AM
I don't think Scooby-Doo is too scary. If anything, it can be "too campy" at times. wink Also, I don't see the adult themes. Personally, I think the girls are the perfect age to be watching the show.

When it comes to Scooby-Doo, it depends on what era you're talking about. The original series from the late 1960's is pretty tolerable. Anything with Scrappy-Doo is, in my opinion, pretty bad (sorry, but I think Scrappy is rather annoying). I also can't stand A Pup Named Scooby-Doo (the writing on that show was just horrible). The most recent series, What's New, Scooby-Doo? is actually pretty decent.
Posted By: Marci - Kids TV Re: Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/18/08 04:00 AM
I agree completely about Scrappy, he annoys me as well!

Posted By: Robin Crime Editor Re: Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/18/08 04:17 AM
When I was young, my cousin and I would scream at some of the scenes if we were scared. (Our grandfather called it screeching). We also would go for night walks past the cemetary and then wonder why any movement would scare us.

Adult themes? Try 2 1/2 Men......this is a cartoon. BUT - to each his own....

The mystery angle is good and it lets children work things out. You felt great if you could solve who the monster/ghost really was before the Scooby gang did.

Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/18/08 04:48 AM
Scooby Doo is just the thing for kids, it shows them in the end that it isn't a ghost, but some loser community criminal. It probably teaches some valuable life lessons.

Now, Ed Edd and Eddy, that is another story. Teaching kids how to call each other names and do stupid things.

I guess it is all in how you look at it.
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/21/08 12:49 AM
I agree about Two and a half men. It is hard to explain it to my 13 year old son. I wish it was on at 10 pm instead of 9 pm.
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Is Scooby-Doo too scary? - 04/21/08 12:50 AM
Actually According to Jim is not very family friendly and they have kids on the show. My son thinks it is funny, but lots of it goes over his head. He likes Scooby Doo though.
© BellaOnline Forums