BellaOnline
Posted By: Angie Cleaning Windows - 04/19/11 09:11 PM
Thanks for the great article.
Posted By: Lestie - ContainerGardens Re: Cleaning Windows - 05/04/11 01:51 PM
Hi there Tammy,
I read your article and note that I use a very weak solution of dishwasher and water with a tootbrush basically to clean very dirty windows including frames and the woodwork surrounds and pelmets etc. Then dry them off and I use newspaper and methylated spirits. Sparkle like you wouldn't believe and very easy to keep up. Do you get an equivalent of methylated spirits in your supermarkets? It's a flammable bright purple smelly medium which I use all over the place - it's great for removing sticky labels, ink printing, fat/grease from the stove tops etc. Also does not leave streaks like some of the commercial window cleaners do. And of course, newspaper is lint free.

In desperate situations in alcoholism, the sad people drink it which is a real sign of substance abuse gone haywire much the same as sniffing glue and other drug and alcohol addictions. I just mention that as an aside - AND it must be keep far away from curious children as the colour is really pretty, but the substance is deadly. Thank heavens it is so smelly. Smell is not a factor in cleaning use and it does not leave any residue etc.

It is brilliant as a cleaner especially of glass and ceramic products.

BTW guitarists harden their finger tips with meths! Cobblers use meths to stretch shoes! All sorts of other uses come to mind.

Cheers
Posted By: Tammy - Cleaning Editor Re: Cleaning Windows - 05/04/11 04:51 PM
Hi Leslie - I haven't heard of methylated spirits, but I will have to go scouting to see if it is available. smile Sounds like a wonderful product!! Thanks for sharing with me!!!
Posted By: Angie Re: Cleaning Windows - 06/08/11 11:35 PM
It is denatured alcohol with additives. This is what I often use when I cannot get the price tag glue off the glass of a new picture frame. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Cleaning Windows - 01/03/12 04:48 AM
I use 1:1 vinegar/water with a microfiber cloth on windows and mirrors.

I only have one window in my tiny home at this time. Easy cleaning!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Cleaning Windows - 03/11/12 03:08 AM
We are very bad about cleaning windows. It rarely gets done. Maybe I should do them all once spring gets here!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Cleaning Windows - 05/13/12 11:46 PM
I recently discovered that hydrogen pyroxide is awesome for cleaning windows. Truly. I have it 100% in a dark colored spray bottle.
Posted By: Angie Re: Cleaning Windows - 06/20/12 05:32 PM
Really? I'll have to try that. It comes in a dark colored bottle; I wonder if a used sprayer would work on the original bottle?
Posted By: vincentverges Re: Cleaning Windows - 11/28/12 10:22 AM
Use a window cleaning solution, which contains ammonia, vinegar or a liquid dish washing detergent. These work well if used sparingly.
Posted By: vincentverges Re: Cleaning Windows - 12/28/12 01:05 AM
Cleaning windows in single directional storks is important. So that the dust particle present do not create much of scratch on the glass.
Posted By: mynewbath Re: Cleaning Windows - 01/10/13 12:07 AM
my home windows are covered by iron rod, for that i always used oil for Iron rod which prevents from rust...
Posted By: clairehobby Re: Cleaning Windows - 01/10/13 02:45 AM
try to clean it with newspaper.
© BellaOnline Forums