BellaOnline

Spring has really arrived in Germany, even though there hasn't really been much of a winter this year, so the farmers are out and about.

This is a typical farmhouse that is still in existence in many areas of the country. This one comes from the 17th century, and then, as now in some cases, the cattle overwintered on the ground floor, their heat warmed the living quarters above them while in the roof hay was stored for winter supplies, which also kept out the cold.

The farmhouses were beautifully insulated from the bitterly cold and snowy German winters.

It not only made life easier, ecologically it was a perfect solution. Only of course they didn't know about 'ecology' in those days, they just knew from experience what worked.

Hello there,

The wisdom of the elders never fails to interest me.

What do those that don't winter cattle over in the farmhouse do these days - guess they have barns and have now put the bottom floors to other home use?

Anyway, how different our farm houses are here. Of course it's a no brainer - I just remain enthralled with the diversity in life and cultures as odd as that may sound.

Cheers now and happy happy spring to everyone ... and most especially to all those who have had such a long and hard winter.

Cheers

Hi Lestie..........Sorry to be so late but I definitely replied to this ages ago and have only just noticed that reply has disappeared - Springtime Magic? Well in Germany at least the witches etc. are already getting ready for their April 30 jamboree.

Many farms still use the idea of cattle under, humans over. Not as many as when my eldest son was young though, it fascinated him at the time when we walked through villages around Easter. We used to buy the wooden Easter ornaments the farmers had made during winter months.

Nevertheless he used to find the 'scent' rather overpowering, as an adult I had obviously come across far worse already.

Yes often now the ground floors are used as living quarters, farm shops etc., and the cattle live in barns with solar panels on the roof. Ah the days of romantic farming are obviously over.

You are right, each country is so different, even here in Europe. I don't remember ever seeing this style of farmhouse in the Netherlands, Belgium or France........and certainly not in the UK. shocked

I join you in being fascinated by the diversity in life and cultures, it is fascinating, and golly just imagine how boring would life be if we were all the same. smile

© BellaOnline Forums