BellaOnline

Stolpersteine, Stumbling stones, are a memorial which is built one stone at a time.

These Stolpersteine are for Family Durlacher from Heidelberg, Hermann, Marta and their sons Walter and Ludwig, and they lie in front of what was their home.

Hermann and Marta were murdered in Auschwitz, their sons were sent to England with Kindertransport and survived.

Stolpersteine, Stones of Remembrance
Francine I had never heard of Stolpersteine. A powerful way to commemorate those who might otherwise be forgotten - like a gravestone, but different.

I like the way your article moves from the initial idea of tracing a route of many people from life to death through to what is now - small monuments holding memory of individuals, many of whom died before their time, and the place they had in the world.

At last getting back to you Asha. Thanks very much for your comment.

And yes you are so right, it really is a powerful way to commemorate people.

Stolperstein means 'stumbling block', but although they don't make you stumble physically, but as one young boy described them: "You don't trip and fall down, you trip with your head and your heart".

It is a strange feeling sometimes when one suddenly comes across one, or often more than one set together, and knows their significance.

They have just this month put some down in Haarlem and Amsterdam in Holland, both places I've lived. Am now wondering just what homes I used to pass every day perhaps, without having any idea of their history.

© BellaOnline Forums