BellaOnline
I personally do not believe that the release of confidential Afghan records benefits our country. I also believe that it can potentially be harmful. However, one Congressman is calling for the whistleblower to receive the death penalty. A bit extreme?

Congressman Mike Rogers believes that this constitutes a capitol offense. What Private Bradley Manning did, in my humble opinion, was immoral and against the law (illegally obtaining classified information). However to condemn him to death seems a bit extreme. What do others think? Should he even be punished? If so, how?
Calling for the death penalty in this case is extreme and wrong, in my opinion. Private Manning should be punished for his actions, but I do not think he should be put to death...that just seems a bit archaic, or something Saddam Hussein would have ordered.
I am not in favor, ever, of the death penalty so I won't agree with it being used in this case. That said, the actions of Private Manning were treasonous and whatever penalties apply for such actions apply to him; this will be especially true if a fellow soldier or an operative dies because of his actions.

Military personnel take a stronger oath than those of normal citizens (I'm sure I never took an oath other than the "Pledge of Allegiance") to defend and protect our country. When they break that oath and put other Americans and those working on our behalf in jeopardy - that's treason.
Posted By: Angie Re: Death of Whistleblower on Afghan Records? - 08/07/10 02:56 AM
I agree - releasing documents as he did was treasonous. He may have harmed and possibly caused the death of many people.
© BellaOnline Forums