BellaOnline
Posted By: Christine - Formula 1 Drivers as Commentators - 08/29/08 09:16 AM
Ex-Super Aguri driver Anthony Davidson has been helping out the BBC in their commentary box for the last few races.

As a fan, I've really enjoyed his insight, and think he's added something to the commentary team. But is it as good for his career?

I've written an article about this, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Is Davidson's career choices this year helping or hindering his future? And also when drivers turn to commentating, is it good for the fans or not?
Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Drivers as Commentators - 09/07/08 02:50 AM
We have Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs with Peter Windsor in the pits on the Speed Channel in the US. We love them. Oh sometimes Bob and David are a hoot. It is great when they have another old racer on for lively commentary with former driver David Hobbs.

How old is Davidson? I'm going to have to pop over and read that article. smile
Posted By: Christine - Formula 1 Re: Drivers as Commentators - 09/08/08 02:39 PM
I think he's 29, which isn't too old for Formula 1 by any stretch. The problem is that he spent most of his years testing for Honda and not racing, so he has tons of experience and understanding about setting up a car but not that much racing expertise.

I think perhaps teams are wary of his racing craft, but value his knowledge. It's a tricky one.
Posted By: Christine - Formula 1 Re: Drivers as Commentators - 09/08/08 02:40 PM
I've seen a video of Steve Matchett explaining some of the new aerodynamic bits and pieces on the cars. He seemed very knowledgable.
Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Drivers as Commentators - 09/15/08 02:15 AM
Yes 29 is fairly young. It is too bad if he can't get a drive, or even a test drive again and hope to move up. Many drivers have one day been a test drive and then were needed in a pitch which then turned into a career.

Steve Matchett was actually an engineer for Beneton I believe when Schumacher was driving. I don't know when or why he decided to switch from that to tv. I imagine tv was less stressful. LOL.
Posted By: jamesuzbek Re: Drivers as Commentators - 12/16/08 07:30 AM
I heard about Anthony Davidson i remain him his fan i want to see hem in reality can it possible ?
Posted By: Christine - Formula 1 Re: Drivers as Commentators - 12/22/08 02:25 PM
It doesn't seem likely that he will get a drive for 2009, unless Honda manage to find a buyer for their team and things change quite drastically over there.

He may have a future in F1, but with drivers getting younger all the time, it may also be that his time has past.
© BellaOnline Forums