BellaOnline
There's a new article up on the Biology Site: What Are Calories?

There's always a lot of talk about calories, especially when speaking in terms of weight loss. How many calories are too many? Does it matter what type of calories we consume? But, do most people really understand exactly what a calorie is and how calories work?

Check out the article, then come on back here and let's discuss it!
Originally Posted By: Deborah - Biology
There's a new article up on the Biology Site: What Are Calories?

There's always a lot of talk about calories, especially when speaking in terms of weight loss. How many calories are too many? Does it matter what type of calories we consume? But, do most people really understand exactly what a calorie is and how calories work?

Check out the article, then come on back here and let's discuss it!

Thank you Deborah,

That is a very informative article.

Does the energy in food get utilized to a consistent degree, matching the measurements, or does it vary from the measurements under some circumstances?

I read some of the other articles and liked them, too. I look forward to exploring your site further.

Cheers!
Sabira,

The number of calories our cells burn to function well can be complicated. The number is different for each person, depending on height, weight, gender, age and activity level.

Three primary factors are involved in calculating how many calories your body needs per day:

* Basal metabolic rate
* Physical activity
* Thermic effect of food

Not sure if this answers your question. Hmmm.. perhaps I need to write an article about this! smile
Originally Posted By: Deborah - Biology
Sabira,

The number of calories our cells burn to function well can be complicated. The number is different for each person, depending on height, weight, gender, age and activity level.

Three primary factors are involved in calculating how many calories your body needs per day:

* Basal metabolic rate
* Physical activity
* Thermic effect of food

Not sure if this answers your question. Hmmm.. perhaps I need to write an article about this! smile
Thank you, Deborah,

It answers my question and is a start on answering the inevitable following questions. :-)

It sounds like a good topic for an article to me! If you write it I will definitely read it.

I am going to subscribe to your newsletter.

Cheers!

© BellaOnline Forums