BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/24/09 06:28 PM
The media deluges us all day long with images of "the perfect woman" and "the perfect man". We are bombarded with ads for how to trim our thighs, how to put make-up on to disguise our face, how a new perfume or body spray can cover up our normal scent.

We are all unique, like snowflakes, and we should treasure that! We shouldn't all want to be cookie-cutter clones of a model or actress or actor!

Are you happy with your body?

This is challenging for me because I know I *should* be and yet especially after this nose surgery I'm a bit disappointed that she made my nose even more twisted than before. I had come to accept my previous slightly-twisted nose, so hopefully in a little time I'll come to accept this new more-twisted version ...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/24/09 07:07 PM
wow, I am sorry about that, with your nose, Lisa. I had never noticed it was crooked before, and it's prolly still not obvious if one isn't looking for it. You're a pretty woman in any case.

I am happy with my body in the sense that it is strong, healthy and serves me well. I think I am cute but not pretty in the 'traditional beauty' sense. I am pretty okay with how I look even though I'd like to be tall and amazon-like. Although you then hear of tall girls being all slouchy and wanting to "fit in" better, in their eyes. SO who knows what I would want if i WAS that tall, strapping girl?

I am not sure even the hollywood people even look like their "image" when they are home, or doing errands about town.

As humans, we are attracted to beauty. Art, nature, babies, a pretty face. I think the media helps promote what is already an inner urge. The solution, IMO, is being aware of the discrepancy between real and 'fantasy' in face/body.
Posted By: chica13801 Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/25/09 02:08 AM
i dont like how i look. Sure i got a cute butt, dark brown eyes that are almost black, but they are too small, my butts too big and im a little too fat, my friends say that im normal sized but everyone finds faults. But i still love myself, because i can make myself laugh.

Darci
smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/25/09 07:59 PM
Jilly - I think you're very attractive smile You have a lovely face, a great body, and a beautiful smile smile You are an Amazon now! You are Wonder Woman's little sister!

Before, my nose was "all at an angle". Meaning if I tilted my head off-straight, my nose would look straight and because of the way proportions work it would look centered on my face. So I could take photos and look normal, and talk to people and look normal.

Now she has "sort of fixed" my nose so it does this strange bendy thing. So the top goes one way and the bottom another. So no matter how I turn my head or anything, it always looks twisty. She was supposed to be straightening my nose so it also makes me worry about the inside tubes. How straight can they be? With all the pain and agony, it's just frustrating. But of course there's no way I'm ever going back through that again.

I always wanted to be an Aragorn ranger type, so I am accepting this as a mark of my strength, in a way, that I survived that car accident and am going on. So maybe it's just as well that it's there and visible, like a tattoo given to me by life. It's a shame that it's so front-and-center as it were. I think I would have preferred a scar on my arm, for example, where I could have it and be seen with it without it being right in the center of my face. But again, I have to learn to accept it and maybe it's good it's right there, that it's the first thing people see about me.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/25/09 08:03 PM
Darci - lots of women would be thrilled with a cute butt! Good for you! How can you say it's too big if it's cute! Apparently it is just the right size. Lots of women with small butts dream about having a bigger one.

I vote you should embark on a new butt-appreciation campaign. Every morning look at your butt and think "This is an amazing part of me, one I am very proud of." Think of all the people out there who dream about having a butt like that.

We'll take this one body part at a time smile

I will say that about my nose, you will say that about your butt!!
I want a cute butt!!! grin

Jilly, you know I think you are adorable.

Lisa, you also have to remember that post surgery there is swelling and "settling" that can take months to resolve. So don't give up hope on your nose! The big thing is whether you are able to breathe better. Health above all.

Me? I am happy (overall) with my face, but my body needs some serious work. And I just need to kick my butt into motion to do that.

Although I told hubby the other day when I got out of the shower, my hair all slicked back from my face. I had not waxed my lip or brow yet and I had this kind of mean look on my face (mainly because I had a headache.) But I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror - and OMG, I looked like a guy! Just the face of course. But I have been real tempted to take a picture of myself like that and put it up on FaceBook and see if anyone recognizes me, LOL!

I'm deranged, I know.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/25/09 11:07 PM
Michelle - you hit on something which is one of those see-saw areas for me - that is the idea of wanting your body to be more in shape. I am very much for fat acceptance and just being happy at the shape you are in. However, I also love mountain biking. I love careening up and down mountains. And right now I can't because I am out of shape. So my body's lack of muscles is holding me back from really enjoying mountain biking.

So I *do* think that just as you practice on the piano because you want to have fun playing your favorite song, that you can get your body in shape so you can have fun playing your favorite activities. I look at that as being a different issue. I know it's a thin line smile But I do feel it's fair to say "I am OK the way I am. But I miss mountain biking so I have a goal to mountain bike more which requires a better stamina body."

What types of activities do you enjoy?
Since I am a bit over 50 I would love my 30 yr old body back. I have always been fit but I now say I am a fit woman in a slightly baggy body. My activity level has not changed much but the old body refuses to keep its place - its that gravity thing. In this youth oriented culture and being in the horse business it's sometimes tough watching all the younguns strutting around in their breeches with nary a bulge of any sort to be seen. My aging body is my biggest bogeyman but when it really starts bothering me I alway go back to that Patty Larken song "The bogeyman will get ya...so you might as well dance"
Lisa - sorry to hear that the surgery was not as successful as you had hoped. Perhaps Michelle is correct and time will help with the healing.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/27/09 05:58 PM
Susan - that's great that you're fit and still riding! A question would be, if you're fit and having fun and doing what you love doing (which many people would be REALLY envious of!!) then what do you feel you lack? You can strut too! Strut and be proud!

On my nose, I think if anything that as the swelling goes down it's even more clear that the bone beneath is still jaggy and not connected smoothly smile I will simply have to accept it I think!

Posted By: Jilly Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/27/09 06:40 PM
Lisa, did you talk to your doctor at all about this? At the least you should know if the insides of your nose are better off, after all you went through.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/27/09 06:45 PM
Lisa and Michelle, also, thank you for the lovely compliments. I love hearing nice things about myself. Sometimes I think I don't see myself properly. But does anyone? :-)

Susan, you sound like a very fit 50 year old and I hope I will be as well at that age!

Darci, it's great to have a cute butt. Lots of people out there are butt-appreciators. Like Lisa said, revel in the booty! :-)

Michelle, that is awesome that you say you are happy with your face. You are pretty! Tell someone that, today. Say, "I like my face." I bet that will feel great.

What I lack is the ability to bounce! I have had to re-think my approach to one of my own (troubled) horses which has been a bit hard to accept. I do not lament it often or too deeply but it is there with me when I go out to face this mare of mine. It is a fairly recent realization but I will sort it out. Good to be able to put it out there though - have not done so too often just yet.

Coming from a family of assorted nose size and shapes I think it adds character to the face. I know you are a fan of The Lord of Rings and all of my favorites had noble noses of all sorts - even the women!!!

I'm sure you are dissapointed that things did not turn out better
and must wonder about the health effects as well - the whole thing sounded a rather awful time for you - and one you sure would not like to repeat - but have you talked with your doc about the ramification of improper healing (if that's what it is)?

Michelle - I have had similiar scary images of myself - not sure I would be brave enough to put it out there for anyone else to see - me thinks you may be a bit deranged but in my world that be a good thing.
Jilly - we were typing together I think...

and you look like you have nothing to worry about in any way shape or form - you look very fit now and will most likely stay that way with only minimal effort!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/29/09 12:32 AM
Susan - I think I might be a bit dense. What do you mean about being able to bounce?

I love doing dance-dance-revolution and I actually appreciate then being small breasted (which I don't normally enjoy) because I can dance like a fool without bouncing smile

That is very true about noble noses, that is what I should focus on. A noble nose with character! An active nose!

Jill I definitely do feel the insides are at least better. When I used to do yoga where you would block one nostril, then block the other, I couldn't breathe at all through one at a time! Now I can. So that's very neat. So I will go with that.
aah - bounce instead of hit the ground splat - when horses decide you belong on the ground instead of their backs. As a trainer the risk of being dumped is ever present and in the last year or so I have decided to be more selective with the horses I take in for training - it was a hard realization for me but one I have accepted now and am rather happy about most days.

Glad that your nose is working better - breathing is definitely a good thing.

And thank goodness for yoga at all sorts!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 08/30/09 10:10 PM
Oh!! You mean your body isn't as agile at landing and rolling well? That would seem to be an area where getting extra padding on you could be very helpful!
Makes a spare tire sound like a life preserver - I like it!!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 09/01/09 12:51 AM
Yes exactly!! It keeps you safe when you fall! That sounds absolutely perfect to me smile

I start up sword class tomorrow for the first time in a month or more. Between my trip to England and my nose surgery I have been out of commission on taking the sword class. I feel SO out of shape. I am not even sure that I can make it through the opening warm-ups, we'll have to see!
Sword class? Wow that sounds interesting.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 09/02/09 05:13 PM
I write medieval romance novels for my own enjoyment and the women are always swordswomen. So back last September or so I decided to sign up for a medieval sword class to get the details down right. It's great exercise, it requires agility and strength and endurance. My boyfriend's started going to class with me too. We train with wooden swords, not metal ones. They are the "Robin Hood" style swords, not fencing swords.
Sounds like great fun - are your books available for sale - love stories with strong women.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 09/03/09 02:47 AM
Not yet, I'm still working on them smile
Wish you success and I will be looking forward to their release!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Happy with your Body? - 09/07/09 10:24 AM
Thanks so much! I do have six completely done and 2 more that are nearly done. I'm in the process of talking with an agent.
© BellaOnline Forums