BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Growing Bean Sprouts - 05/23/09 08:01 PM
You guys know that I've been having a lot of fun growing my own alfalfa sprouts -

Growing Alfalfa Sprouts

I also bought a bean sprout mix to try, so I started that right now!

The mix is a blend of Adzuki bean, Lentil, Mung bean and radish seeds. You don't use the "smaller hole insert" at the bottom of the sprouter with these. The beans are large enough that they stay in the container. Well I suppose the radish seeds might not be big enough, but I'll find out if I made a mistake on that soon enough smile

You put the seed holder into the larger plastic container, then pour in a half cup of seeds. Add warm water to cover, and then put the domed lid on. Soak for 8-12 hours. I'm doing that right now!

Let me know if you have any questions! A friend of mine has bought the sprout kit based on my experiences and she loves it too. It is super easy and gets you fresh food nearly instantly smile Very cheaply too.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Growing Bean Sprouts - 05/25/09 07:11 PM
OK here we are two days later - I hardly did anything at all to "maintain" them - and they are ready to eat! They'll keep growing over time of course, so I can eat them for a few days smile

These guys didn't "inflate" as much as the little alfalfa ones did smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Growing Bean Sprouts - 05/30/09 03:57 AM
A few days later, the container was half full, so they did expand a bit. However, the beans got a bit stringy and slimy. Not *nearly* as yummy as the broccoli sprouts! We ate these on a salad and they were good, but I adored the broccoli sprouts.

I do admit that we weren't as exact and regular with the washings as we were with the sprouts. Maybe we should try again.
© BellaOnline Forums