BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/20/08 04:29 AM
They keep finding more cases of salmonella poisoning and still don't know where it's coming from. Are you eating tomatoes, or have you put that on hold?

I've always liked the little tomatoes - not the big ones - so I haven't stopped. They're pretty sure it's only the bigger ones that are affected.
Posted By: MB2345 Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/20/08 04:33 AM
The little ones definitely have more flavor than the big ones. I'm fairly paranoid, however, so for now I'm not eating any tomatoes except what I'm growing in my garden!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/20/08 04:46 AM
Our tomato plants have blossoms, but no actual fruit yet! So for now I'm eating the store bought ones smile
Posted By: Lady J Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/20/08 05:05 AM
they said on the vine small tomatoes and grape and cherries are safe. None of the restaraunts in the area are using them. The supermarkets are only selling the FDA recognized "safe" ones. We eat a ton of grape and cherries so we were not as effected as some people cna be.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/20/08 05:18 AM
Yup I love grape and cherry, those are tasty to me! I'm so glad I found them, I used to hate all tomatoes but now I realize the little ones are great smile And they're so good for you!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/20/08 11:55 PM
Oh I want to comment, in case I forgot to, that storing tomatoes in a wine fridge makes them last MUCH much longer than normal. Apparently the "cold" temperature of a fridge is too cold. They like a medium-cold temperature smile

A dark closet might do well too!
Posted By: k2y Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/21/08 12:11 AM
I usually get the tomatoes on the vine, which they say are okay but just to be on the safe side, I've been sticking to my mom's homegrown tomatoes for now.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Are you Eating Tomatoes? - 06/21/08 03:57 AM
That's curious - it seems they still don't know if the salmonella is coming from the farm itself or from a packing plant. So it could be conceivable that tomatoes which are on-vine are packed somewhere different than off-vine tomatoes and that is why they're not affected. I hope they narrow this down soon!

It's amazing that they haven't been able to isolate it to "Ok this group of people all bought tomatoes from THIS store" or something like that ... how can it be totally random?
© BellaOnline Forums