BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 05/10/08 10:46 PM
It seems we have a number of members in this forum who do not like to cook. There are LOTS of healthy things you can eat that are very tasty - and that don't require any cooking.

First, of course, come salads. You can make salads in a NUMBER of ways. There are all sorts of salad mix styles with different types of lettuce or spinach. Add in carrots, little tomatoes, bits of broccoli, bacon bits, green peppers, etc. There are all sorts of cheese styles to put on top. Have a variety of dressings around so you can vary them from day to day.

You can have a salad every day and not have the same one twice for weeks!

Tuna fish is always a staple. You can add it to a salad, have it alone, mix it with capers, olives, pickles. Have it with cottage cheese or yogurt.

Next, sandwiches on whole wheat / high fiber bread, or a pita wrap. Add in cheese, lettuce, pickles, a variety of deli meats. Go with low-sugar PB and low-sugar jelly.

How about nuts? There are all sorts of nuts out there that are very good for you. Almonds, peanuts, cashews, macadamia!

Cottage cheese and yogurt come in a variety of flavors and are tasty.

You can buy pre-made egg salad which is lovely. We'll leave all the "real" egg dishes for the microwave-cook thread, since we'll assume in this thread that you don't even have a microwave smile

what are some other ideas?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 05/10/08 10:49 PM
For actual recipes, I have a listing here -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
OK - I have a new "gotta have it" snack!

Diamond almonds has just come out with its line of bold almonds. Hubby got me the "Wasabi-Soy Almonds" and OI! They are soooooooo addictive.

They are going to have top be hidden along with the chocolate!
Posted By: Lady J Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/12/08 02:10 AM
my roomie is addicted to these japanese wasabi peas. low sodium and she loves their taste
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/12/08 06:47 PM
Almonds are good for you! Why would you want to hide them? smile
Because they are so "snacky" - it's hard to stop! grin

If I ate a whole can at ome sitting, that's not much better than eating a twinkie.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/12/08 06:52 PM
Ah ok the key is to put them into individually sized zip locks. That way you eat from one of those, instead of the whole container smile It works really well!

Also I have pretty glass ramekins that I eat things like that out of. That way I eat just the one portion and it seems like a "regular portion" that is a nice treat. If you eat from a large container it's hard to stop only part way through, I find.
Exactly! Good idea,I never thought about doing that. It will definitely help.
Posted By: Jilly Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/12/08 08:03 PM
Lisa do you have a picture of those ramekins?
Posted By: chloe21 Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/12/08 11:24 PM
Lisa, good idea about measuring the portions in zip locks. I never thought about doing that.

A piece of lunchmeat (ham or turkey) wrapped around a dill pickle slice with dijon mustard is a good snack or could be part of a meal. It also makes a good appetizer cut into smaller pieces and secured with a toothpick.
Posted By: TrishInNC Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/13/08 12:08 AM
We do the smaller plate/bowl thing with food too.

It's funny, you just named off most of what I eat; the no-cook stuff. I cook about once-twice a week, which is great if you don't mind eating the same thing for a full week.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/13/08 02:23 AM
Trish you can easily cook only once or twice a week and still eat something different every week of the year! There are a *ton* of options out there. What sorts of things do you like to cook?

I'll take a picture of our ramekins but really there are trillions of options out there, here's a random one on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/DuraTuff-Ramekin-oz-Dozen-case/dp/B0001MS1DU/

any Pier One import will have a number of pretty options for you. You just get one or two for personal use!
Posted By: Jilly Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/13/08 02:59 AM
good idea about rameins. I will take a look at some.

My new no-cook meal - Open a can of beef pieces (from costco, next to the canned chicken). Put purple coleslaw, already diced in those bags they sell at supermarkets (or green coleslaw - i just like purple as it has more fiber). Add a dollop pf sour cream, some rosemary, black pepper and garlic salt.

Stick in the microwave for three minutes and eat! Yum. No cooking, no prep. Just opening a can and a bag. smile
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/13/08 03:50 AM
Walmart and Target have pretty inexpensive ramekins, too. And, if there's a restaurant supply store near you, they usually have different sizes, as well as ones made of different materials--hard plastic, glass or even metal.

I use them mostly for putting dips in for veggies. Ranch & salsa or Ranch & hot sauce are great with well, almost anything.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: No Cook Meal / Snack Ideas - 06/14/08 05:31 AM
Yup ramekins are excellent for dips, to help keep your healthy eating exciting and fun smile
© BellaOnline Forums