BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/11/08 11:29 PM
Since i just went to the doctor i figured I would log my BP: it's 110/82. They told me it's good, but I really have no frame of referent.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 02:20 AM
That is so great that they took that!! It's always good to know your blood pressure.

I went and got my finger tester. I have 90/47 with a pulse of 86.

Looking at WebMD you need to be 120/80 or you risk high blood pressure. So 120/80 is the cut-off for having concern.

So you're in great shape! I'm sure the 82 is fine smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 02:27 AM
I recently bought a blood pressure monitor from QVC - (was on a spending spree with income tax refund) and cannot figure out how to get the cuff on the arm and get an actual reading.

I think I might bring it with me to rite aid and ask the pharmacist how to use it.

I use the Rite aid one anyway and have always had good BP but since I am turning 48 next month thought I should have a device to check since I am always on steroids for my skin - started back on prednisone today after seeing new Derm - at least this one is a female.
Posted By: JanetBoyer Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 02:35 AM
Mine usually stays right around 120/70. smile
Posted By: Lady J Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 02:49 AM
mine is usually around 120/60-70
Mine's usually on the low side -- 90/60, something like that.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 03:10 AM
Bonnie - I have a Lumiscope finger device which works well for me. I have trouble with the arm cuff variety. I would definitely take that in to a pharmacist or someone to help you out with that!

Many people get "abnormally high" readings in doctors' offices because they are nervous about being there. The best reading comes from your own home, where you are relaxed and can get a normal day to day result.
Posted By: M o e Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 03:22 AM
I've always been on the low side 100/70. The good thing too is I've always been consistent.
Posted By: Jilly Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 05:26 AM
hmmm, even looking it up I still don't really know what the numbers mean.

I also had my first EKG. I liked that - completely non-invasive. I have no idea what the pretty chart it made meant. I wished someone would have taken the time to show me, but they said they only would mention anything if there was a concern.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 05:43 PM
Jilly - read this article -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 05:47 PM
On EKG charts, there is a full wikipedia article about it here -

Posted By: Jilly Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 08:34 PM
Thanks on the BP article. I still don't know EXACTLY what my details mean. Why is my Systolic only 110? Is this a good thing? Is it from all the exercise? Why is my Diastolic at 82? Is that a bad thing? Is there anything I need to be aware of, change? Drink less wine?

That's what kind of specifics that are eluding me. I get the BP basics - that's simple, but in my reality, it's all about ME!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 09:18 PM
Jilly, your bp is fine! Just try to track it over time. 120/80 used to be considered "normal", meaning if it's under or at that, then no problem. I think now, it's considered upper normal or something.

Exercise does lower bp (well, lifting weights raises it), so it could be lower now than before. Sudafed and other speedy-type medicines (including caffeine) raise it in some people. Salt increases it in some people, not in others. So, there are tons of variables (including heredity!), and what's normal for you is probably not normal for me!

Some doctors say everyone's increases with age -- and that has been my experience. So, do record it and keep up with it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 09:33 PM
Jill - OK so you understand the high pressure (top number) and low pressure (bottom number) part.

As far as what a healthy blood pressure is, I have that here -

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 10:09 PM
Interestingly here is my finger blood pressure monitor -

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art15467.asp

and I can't find it any more on Amazon! It looks like nobody makes finger based ones any more. I wonder if they found them not accurate enough?
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 10:44 PM
That looks so much easier to utilize than what I got from QVC. I did find a finger monitor here:

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 11:37 PM
Ah ok thanks Bonnie! So they do still exist, that's good to know. I think the cuff version is probably more accurate, if you can just figure out how they work smile
Posted By: Flutterby Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 11:45 PM
I have high blood pressure......have been on meds for many years to control it. I have a battery operated cuff that goes on my wrist......seems to do a pretty good job. I check my bp about once a week or more often if I feel it may be elevated for some reason (it usually isn't when I do that, though, oddly enough)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 03/12/08 11:58 PM
That's really interesting, Flutterby - so you check it because you feel stressed, but those are the times it is OK?

Maybe the act of "taking care of the stress" helps to relax you?
Posted By: Jilly Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 05/09/08 02:02 AM
Well, Lisa, you were right. I was at the doctor's again (still sick, got new meds and ear drops - yuck) and they took my BP again. I wasn't nervous this time, since it was my second time in the office and I really like the doctor and nurse.

My BP was 94/64. They said that was really good. So apparently being nervous at the doctor's makes a HUGE difference in BP. Interesting. Or maybe all the yoga has contributed to a lower BP. smile
Posted By: freespirit Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 05/09/08 02:21 AM
The finger and wrist cuff bp mashines are not real accurate...sorry the best way to get a real reading is just to lesson for yourself or at lest have a cuff that fits your arm corectly you can also take a bp around the upper thigh if the cuff is big enough to fit right. if the cuff is to small the bp will be higher then it really is and if it is too small then it will be really really low when it could be way off the charts high....so cuff size matters.

the reason the wrist and finger mashines are not as accurate is that they measure your bp farther away from your heart so the pressure fluckuates more there is also less muscle and tissue in this area so it is not as cushy as the arm or thigh so it cant really squeeze and release like it does around the arm or thigh.

does that make since?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is your Blood Pressure? - 05/09/08 08:09 PM
Jill - I'm sure yoga has helped some but a *lot* of it is how nervous you are. Doctors even say that they assume blood pressure is higher than normal when you read it in the office, because you are nervous just being there. So that is great that you are getting so comfortable with them!

That is definitely true freespirit - the arm is the best way to measure. Still, if all somebody can afford is a finger one, that's better than nothing to track trends with!
© BellaOnline Forums