BellaOnline
Posted By: ajaye Real low carb potatoes - recipe - 08/26/05 04:17 PM
I've come across the Sunlite Low-Carb potatoes in my market, and decided to give them a try. They have about 14 net grams of carbohydrate per 5 oz potato. I've found a way to cut those carbs to about 5 grams per 5 oz serving, and it's delicious! I love being able to have potatoes again, as I am diabetic and cannot eat regular potatoes without spiking my blood sugar. Here's the recipe (you'll need a hand held blender for these):

3 med SUNLITE LOW CARB POTATOES*, peeled & cut up
Equal amount of celery, chopped
1 or 2 Chicken boullion cubes
1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained & chopped fine
2-4 tbsp garlic butter (heat some chopped garlic in oil & butter- do not brown!)
Salt & pepper

Boil potatoes & celery in boullion until tender. Drain. Add artichoke hearts, butter, salt & pepper. Using a hand held blender, whip mixture until it's as smooth as you like it.

NOTE: Once these are whipped, the potato taste takes over. No one will know there are artichokes in them! My DH loves them, and he won't eat artichokes! He always asks me to make them. Same with a couple of picky friends who've tried them. They taste like mashed potatoes, only better! But the artichokes give them a great flavor. The celery & artichokes add lots of fiber, too.

*these come in a 3 lb. bag in the produce section of the supermarket. Look for them by the regular potatoes. They are like regular potatoes, you can not tell the difference.
Here's the website for more info: http://www.sunlitepotato.com
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Real low carb potatoes - recipe - 08/26/05 05:29 PM
Ajaye, I haven't seen these potatoes--I'll have to look for them. Do you make the mashed cauliflower, too? My guys even like it and it's usually hard to get them to eat a vegetable! I was wondering if cauliflower could be subbed for part of the celery in your recipe?
Posted By: ajaye Re: Real low carb potatoes - recipe - 08/26/05 06:53 PM
Deborah... I don't see why you couldn't use cauliflower in them. Especially since your family likes that flavor. The celery and artichokes have a special flavor, and compliment each other. Try them both ways and see. Let me know what you think. I think the main thing is to mix them with something else to reduce the carbs down even further.
I don't usually make the mashed cauliflower, I steam it in a little chicken broth til crispy-tender, then melt shredded colby/jack and cream cheese & butter over it, with a sprinkle of chopped green onions...yum! Try it that way sometimes.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Real low carb potatoes - recipe - 08/26/05 10:09 PM
Neato that sounds great!! I will have to look for those!
© BellaOnline Forums