BellaOnline
Posted By: RebeccaG Web references - 10/21/10 12:59 AM
Has anyone had a requirement of using websites as a reference to a paper?
Posted By: sara1955 Re: Web references - 10/21/10 02:41 AM
Ours is to use "scholarly" sites smile Not the wiki sites. Although, I see a number of ppl using those for discussion questions (I just love it when I can prove their source is incorrect LOL).

Government sites, university sites (Stanford, Yale, Univ of TX, etc.) are good.
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: Web references - 10/21/10 11:25 AM
Thanks. I'll check into them.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Web references - 10/23/10 01:24 AM
Wow I've never had someone *make* me use a web site for a reference. Are they trying to make sure you understand how to note each type of reference properly and a website is one of the choices?

Yes absolutely stay away from the Wiki sites smile Go with government sites primarily. Even school sites can fool you, if a professor posts wrong information.
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: Web references - 10/24/10 06:24 AM
Yes, I have to have at least one web source. Never heard of that either. I'm going to do the paper on the Princes in the Tower.
Posted By: Elizabeth-Distance Learn Re: Web references - 10/25/10 02:53 AM
Rebecca - you just got me interested in some history (something that I have never really loved and actually hated when I was in school). But then we never learned anything that was interesting in history in my school classes and even when something was interesting, the teachers always seemed to skip over that story or tell it in a very uninteresting way - at least for me lol.

Anyway I had never heard of the princes in the tower so I did a google search. Almost everything seems to suggest that the mystery will never be solved. There are just too many possibilities. But I did find it even more interesting to read a little about Hans Holbein and the picture with all the secret code in it - it's like 2 mysteries in one now! I sure hope that, if DNA testing is ever done, I hear the results of it. Not being a history buff that is rather unlikely - like never hearing about the results of news stories I read today unless I am so interested as to look them up online on a regular basis.

So thank you for getting me interested in a piece of history. Who knows - maybe I will even get a book on that topic and read it - especially if I get an e-reader for Christmas. smile
Posted By: sara1955 Re: Web references - 10/25/10 04:29 AM
The princes in the tower is one of those mysteries that torments me. I hate not having answers and I wonder if there will ever be an answer to this ...

Good luck with your paper!!
Posted By: RebeccaG Re: Web references - 10/25/10 11:09 PM
Elizabeth, LOL. Then I'm doing my job.

I'm finishing up in the next two days a paper on how the Dark Age of Greece was necessary to usher in the Classical Era. I want it to be as good as it can be which is of course driving my husband nuts. smile
© BellaOnline Forums